Area E Marching Contest

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st--- Langham Creek-----they're good, there is no doubt about it

2nd--- Seven Lakes-----if we pull it off, our show design and music will carry us through. GO SPARTANS!!! in reality though, we'll probibly land max here and minimum 5th. When we focus we are amazing. If you beleive SLHS will not make it, i'd be interested to here your thoughts about why.

3rd-----Clements-----placed for consitancy if nothing else.

4th----either Cy Falls of Cy Fair, depends on who shows up that day musically.

Oh, but if Taylor made it instead of any of them (except us) that'd be cool too :D

Edited by Fortissimo

2nd--- Seven Lakes-----if we pull it off, our show design and music will carry us through. GO SPARTANS!!! in reality though, we'll probibly land max here and minimum 5th. When we focus we are amazing. If you beleive SLHS will not make it, i'd be interested to here your thoughts about why.

Cinco Ranch will get in this time if seven lakes thinks they are going to get in thats a lie, 1st Langham Creek, 2nd Clements, 3rd Cy Falls, 4th Cinco Ranch

Great first posts, folks. You people are representing your programs well.

I could, but you won't like what I have to say.

Edited by Realist

Another board is reporting this to be the prelims rankings in Area E:

1. Clements

2. Langham Creek

3. Cy Falls

4. Cy Woods

5. Cy Fair

6. Seven Lakes

7. Cinco Ranch

8. Katy Taylor

9. Jersey Village

10. Cy Creek

11. Morton Ranch

12. Dulles

13. Travis

14. Cy Ranch

15. Mayde Creek

16. Katy

17. Cy Springs

18. Cy Lakes

19. Kempner

20. Hastings

21. Westside

22. Elsik

Another board is reporting this to be the prelims rankings in Area E:

1. Clements

2. Langham Creek

3. Cy Falls

4. Cy Woods

5. Cy Fair

6. Seven Lakes

7. Cinco Ranch

8. Katy Taylor

9. Jersey Village

10. Cy Creek

11. Morton Ranch

12. Dulles

13. Travis

14. Cy Ranch

15. Mayde Creek

16. Katy

17. Cy Springs

18. Cy Lakes

19. Kempner

20. Hastings

21. Westside

22. Elsik

Do we have scores yet from prelims, or just the rankings?

I'm just going to say this plain and clear, but I do not think Langham Creek should be advancing on. Watching all bands perform in prelims at Area E, Langham Creek's show was just plain not that great. Not saying that my opinion matters over all, but I'm sure anyone that saw it was not impressed with it. They are a dying program, just living off their name. It is rather disappointing to see such a program advancing on, when there are other bands that are worthy of State competetion. That is all.

For the record, I do not disparage any of the bands that made state finals this year. I am sure that all of them worked very hard, and earned their spot at the Alamodome. I am sure that the marching members, parents and instructors at those schools worked very hard, and made great sacrifices as well. Congratulations to them.

Am I disappointed at the results from yesterday? Of course. There are thousands of marchers, parents, and instructors all over this state, who are feeling disappointment today. The Spartans really, legitimately felt this was going to be their year, and unfortunately, it didn't happen. They did make the area finals this year for the first time, and quite frankly, that was an accomplishment, for a program that was literally non-existent, five years ago. This does give us hope and encouragement for the future.

This points out the existential reality of marching band in this state. There are only about 30 spots up for grab at the 5A state finals. There's probably 2 to 3 times that number, who could legitimately lay claim to deserving a spot in the Alamodome. The breadth and depth of music programs in Texas is really incredible, when compared to other states.

Unfortunately, you can't host a contest for 70, 80, 90 bands, in one stadium, in one day. It is physically impossible. Hence, unless the UIL changes its format for the state championship, there will always be bands who deserve to perform at the state level, but won't get the chance.

Does the UIL need to seriously look at restructuring its championship, to give more bands an opportunity to perform at the state level? Perhaps. Ohio, for example, has their state championships at 2 separate stadiums, spread out over two weeks.

http://www.davidsonbands.org/omea_main.html

But that is a separate debate, and one that we will need to have some other time.....

I'm in the Cypress Creek High School Cougar Marching Band from Houston, TX. Area E, 5A.

This years show, "Pictures at an Exhibition", Mussorgsky.

Yesterday was a very emotional day for our band from start to finish. Arriving at school for rehearsal before Area, we were all pumped for our performance later in the day. We watched the video of our performance of our show from the previous Area contest in 2008, as we Juniors and Seniors gave our stories of how we felt we should have made finals that year, which the band had never done. With that show, "The World Of MC Escher", even other bands were confused as to why we didn't make it. The band took it hard, but we stayed strong and determined to work hard for what we wanted to accomplish. The underclassman didn't understand the heart break the upperclassman knew from before and didn't want to experience again, but they still gave it their all anyway. We had a great run through at practice before leaving and were happy with what we had done. We were ready.

As we got dressed and headed to warm up, the band had what our director had been calling a "calm, quiet, intensity". We were focused on the prize. As we approached the gate at Berry Center to take the field for our Area performance, the band was nervous, but even more than that, excited. This was our time to shine. We took the field, warmed up, and then the famous words; "drum majors, is your band ready?". The salute was given and as the drum majors hands raised at set, the band followed with amazing energy. We took the first step in the performance we will never forget. Stepping into our final set, we locked and I don't know about everyone else, but as soon as the horns all popped down, all I could do was smile, and looking up at the drum majors faces, that's all I needed to see. As we exited the field, I think we all knew we had done something great.

We changed and went back into the stands to watch the rest of the bands and wait for the results of which bands were going to be advancing to finals. When the last band was done, and the announcer said they would be revealing the results soon, you could feel the energy of our band get tense. But we waited. Then, the moment was here. They called in alphabetical order, one, two, three bands. As we counted where our name fell, we were anxious. We didn't know how we could feel the pain we felt the last time, again. As the other bands were called, they cheered, but they had all been to finals before, and this was nothing new to them. But then, "Cypress...Creek, congratulations!" And the band roared with the tears from the upperclassman, and the cheers from the underclassman. It was unlike any other experience of my life. I've never cried so many happy tears. Finally, before I graduated, we had done it. For the first time in Cypress Creek High School Cougar Marching Band history, we had made it to Area Finals. Everybody was looking around at everyone else crying tears of joy, and exchanging embracing hugs. As we later exited the stands, and our band all huddled around our director, hearing how proud of us he was, we were unbelievably happy. We were even more proud of ourselves and each other than he probably was of us. So we ate, and got dressed again for our first ever Area Finals performance. This time that the band took the field, the nerves were gone. This time, it was pure adrenaline and excitement that drove the band. This time, as the words were announced: "drum majors, is your band ready?", Cy-Fair, who has been a rival with us, gave a friendly shout out in response, "they're always ready!", and we knew we were finally starting to be respected. The Cy-Creek Band had a new name. The crowd was huge, and we didn't even care. Performing at Finals was an absolutely amazing feeling, I can't even describe it. We were amazed with what we had done. No matter what, we had gone down in the books. So, again, we went to the stands to await results. And although, they didn't call our name to advance to State, the band was okay with that. Because we had done what we came to do, which was make history and advance to Area Finals. We had given it our all, reached our goal, and we couldn't have been happier. The bus ride home this year would be one of joyful, grateful tears instead of tears filled with devastation.

I only hope that in the years to come, as I watch my little brother who will be a freshman in band next year, that I can watch this band someday advance to state. Because they deserve it more than anyone else I know. A most grateful thank-you goes out to our directors, our music and marching techs, our color-guard, our cheerleaders who volunteered to help out the guard this year, our volunteers, our sponsors, our supportive parents, and most of all, thank you to my fellow band members for making this a year that I, nor anyone else, will ever forget. I love you, band.

I'm just going to say this plain and clear, but I do not think Langham Creek should be advancing on. Watching all bands perform in prelims at Area E, Langham Creek's show was just plain not that great. Not saying that my opinion matters over all, but I'm sure anyone that saw it was not impressed with it. They are a dying program, just living off their name. It is rather disappointing to see such a program advancing on, when there are other bands that are worthy of State competetion. That is all.

agreed.