"HOW TO MAKE FIRST CHAIR" By C.L Roberts

Howto.jpg

My band director gave me this book. He said it would help me to prepare for big auditions by telling me the RIGHT way to practice the audition music. He said lots of all-staters read it, I know 2 that have.... Thats good enough for me though.

I havent started it yet but I plan to start it very soon. Has anyone else read it. Did it help?

I am going to take a guess and say that it is a book about how to practice correctly. Because that is where most people fail. I used to practice a lot, but I never got any better (by my standards). But then, I slowly learned how to practice. Now, I have the decision to make between the music schools at UT Austin and the University of Houston. But that is just my two cents on the matter.

I am going to take a guess and say that it is a book about how to practice correctly. Because that is where most people fail. I used to practice a lot, but I never got any better (by my standards). But then, I slowly learned how to practice. Now, I have the decision to make between the music schools at UT Austin and the University of Houston. But that is just my two cents on the matter.

If you want to be a performer I guess it's kind of a toss-up. If you want to be a director, then U of H is the clear winner.

Yea EuroEuph is pretty much right. It was just about practicing the right way and stuff like that. Anyoen can practice... but wheather your practicing the right way or not is something totally different... now I know I was doing lots of things wrong.

I say read it... even if you think your practicing the right way, you may not be. I sure wasent. Its not a exrememly long book (About 150 pages) and it didnt even take an hour to finish.

Why would I want this book? It is useless to me. Besides, that is what a lesson teacher is for.

But some people cant afford a lesson teacher, especially the ones who are unfortunate and are in low income families, so $29.99 DVD plus a Book vs. $$$130 a week (or a month), i would buy the book for reference

Why would I want this book? It is useless to me. Besides, that is what a lesson teacher is for.

:blink:

... Ok

Then dont get it.

Not everyone can get lessons, and Im not sayin if you read it you'll "autimaticly make all-state" or anything like that, but I thought it had some pretty usefull stuff... :)

Sorry for coming off too strong. I too don't have that much money to spend. Lessons for me cost about $40 a month (so about $10 a week). And I have an amazing lesson teacher too. But I, in my opinion, would prefer to have my lesson teacher, who has many accolades and such, to tell me the correct way to practice than to have a person I don't even know (and doesn't know my playing abilities) to give me a general idea how to practice for what I need.