Of course I care, let me run down what I know of the Rio Grande Valley band's repertoire:

Edinburg HS: Harmonium

-Canon in D

-Wild Nights

-Lord's Prayer

-Ostinato from Mikroskosmos

Donna HS: The Fire Within

-Firebird Suite

-Ritual Fire Dance

-Fire of Eternal Glory

Harlingen HS: Cirque Du Soleil's La Nouba

-Not sure in the specific titles for mvts.

Harlingen South HS: A Day In The Life...

-Morning

-Dusk

-Nightlife

Mcallen HS: Terminal Velocity

-Original composition?

That is all i know off the top of my head, more to come later... :D

Just to add to that,

McAllen HS: Terminal Velocity

New Rhythmics (From Minimally Speaking) - Saucedo

Layers (From Minimally Speaking) - Sauccedo

??? - Key Poulan

Harlingen South HS: A Day in the Life...

Morning: Fanfare for a New Era - Jack Stamp

Dusk: Nightscapes - Yozviak

Nightlife: Push - Robert Smith

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and add to RGV repetoire...

Edinburg North: A Series of Familiar Themes (or something along the lines of that)

-Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring and other familiar themes

I'll give you a better update on that once I can get it...we played them and I was rather disappointed with their performance. I think their old director (Willy Perez) left and became Edinburg ISD's fine arts director. If that is the case, then that would explain quite a bit. Despite this, I still wish North the best of luck and hope that they have a great season.

QUOTE (MartinHorn @ Sep 9 2006, 11:50 AM)
Edinburg and Donna's programs sound awesome.

Thanks, it is a really cool arrangement.

Edinburg also played the heck out of their show, as well.

QUOTE (trumpetman1288 @ Sep 9 2006, 11:17AM)
I'll give you a better update on that once I can get it...we played them and I was rather disappointed with their performance. I think their old director (Willy Perez) left and became Edinburg ISD's fine arts director. If that is the case, then that would explain quite a bit. Despite this, I still wish North the best of luck and hope that they have a great season.

If that is the case, then I wish ENHS the best of luck. I hope the can recover.

I hope they can recover too...It would be sad to see the program that Mr. Perez built up go down the drain in the matter of a year. Although they aren't a Valley powerhouse anymore, they represented the Valley pretty well in the early to middle 90's and were the closest 5A school from the Valley to making state finals...that is, if my sources are correct. Anyways, despite that, they have been a fairly respectable program for the past 15+ years of their existence, so once again, best of luck to them.

QUOTE (trumpetman1288 @ Sep 9 2006, 10:49 PM)
I hope they can recover too...It would be sad to see the program that Mr. Perez built up go down the drain in the matter of a year. Although they aren't a Valley powerhouse anymore, they represented the Valley pretty well in the early to middle 90's and were the closest 5A school from the Valley to making state finals...that is, if my sources are correct. Anyways, despite that, they have been a fairly respectable program for the past 15+ years of their existence, so once again, best of luck to them.

I believe they did make State Finals once. They also made BOA finals out of the valley for quite some time also. I had a relative that was in that really awesome ENHS band back then. I'm sure they will recover. Maybe not top 5 in Area G but maybe finals.

Well, even though I saw Berkner Friday I still don't know what they are playing. They only played their spirit show... <_>

Duncanville will be playing at Coppell this week and from what I hear Coppell will be playing Hindemith. I'll report on which pieces after the game.

Area G has really been coming up in the world lately. I really hope that we will see two Area G bands in the top half.

Yeah...someone besides Harlingen :P

Nothing against them, but other bands down here are finally starting to catch up with them. Granted, they are still fairly dominant, but we'll see what is in store for this season. I am hearing a lot of great things about Harlingen South and Edinburg, so we'll see where those guys end up.

I think Harlingen's show will be extremely entertaining this year. If it's a high power show like they usually have, I see a lot of good things for them this year.

Duncanville will be playing at Coppell this week and from what I hear Coppell will be playing Hindemith.  I'll report on which pieces after the game.

They're playing Hindemith's Symphony in E-flat. I haven't had a chance to see them (I'm not sure I will this year), but from what I hear, the music is "weirder than ever," but the visual program is better than ever.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think if you see them.

QUOTE (trumpetman1288 @ Sep 11 2006, 09:13 PM)
I think Harlingen's show will be extremely entertaining this year.  If it's a high power show like they usually have, I see a lot of good things for them this year.

Here is what i have to say about that:

My school played them on friday, and to tell you the truth, it did not have that "WOW" factor HHS usually has. Fundamentals need quite a bit of work, not to mention they didn't have a visual show. They even ripped off the Reagan plume head move thingy rolleyes.gif Other than that, they should do good, but i am being really picky so don't take it the wrong way. cool.gif

Strictly RGV predictions:

Sharyland

Harlingen

Harl. South

Donna

Edinburg

Not exactly in that order, but it is hard to call so early in the year. Not having seen everybody yet.

Brenham

"Stars of the Summer Night"

Based off of the Longellow poem of the same name

Each Mvt represents a stanza from the poem

Mvt. 1 Dreams of the Summer Night (Original music, using "Twinkle, Twinkle")

Mvt. 2 Stars of the Summer Night (Sleep by Whitacre)

Mvt. 3 Moon of the Summer Night (Fly Me to the Moon, In Other Words)

Mvt. 4 Wind of the Summer Night (Ride by Hazo, recap of earlier themes from show)