Don Hanna Memorial Marching Contest (Oct 7th)

rebel99

1 hour ago, MartinTuba said:

I completely agree. I was quite shocked too seeing some of their contest results this year, especially the DFW prelims sheet. I’m not sure if it was a good idea to schedule 2 contests in a day, the kids probably feel exhausted right now. I hope they can pull it together before their next contest, which is area if we’re discounting region.

And going back to what you said about the director change, I think the kids just need some time to adapt to this change. Director changes are never easy, if I've learned anything. 

9 hours ago, MartinTuba said:

Honestly, I think they're having transition issues. I think they're executing great and are clean, but as a program they're in a tough spot. Losing McCann is a big blow to them, especially since the new director they have is extremely different from him.  As an alumni, I'm confident that in future years they will continue to pick up steam if they keep the spark going culturally, but for now, they're having growing pains. The kids there right now are great, I'm sure they'll figure it out.

As an alumni as well(2014-2018) there’s a lot more than a simple director change that’s had an impact on how they’ve been as of late. For the last decade Martin hasn’t been a stranger to director turnover so there’s a lot that has to happen at all levels of the program, down to the JH feeders where positive upswings in whatever result you’re after start there. And that can only be brought about with time, stability, and change for the better

9 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

Yeah, It's just that I never would've expected bands like Boswell, Fossil Ridge, or even Mansfield to beat them out. They were making significant progress at that, making area finals for the first time in almost a decade, but now with him gone, I don't know what the future holds for them. I believe McCann is now at Timber Creek and they're having their best season as of late. 

I want to say also, in fairness, Martin made Area Finals in 2014 and 2016, so not nearly the gap of a decade that I’ve seen be said a few times. I’d say that with those bands, if you look at what else they’re doing to improve, you can easily see how they got the result they got here, Mansfield was good last year, was very impressed with their concert UIL bands having seen them both this past spring. Fossil Ridge nearly made UIL Area finals last year being one spot out. 
It’s all about continuous development, and I think there’s a bit of that lacking at Martin as of late.

Congrats to The Colony and getting the W! Not super surprised as they had an amazing year last year and seem to be building off that momentum. Seeing Panther Creek over Anna is somewhat surprising, but maybe this means Panther Creek should be on the upset radar for 4A, would love to see them at state finals, definitely think they will make state this year. Congratulations to all our finalists as well! 

Arlington Lamar did Area and Waco BOA on the same day last year - I guess Martin isn't going to get outdone.

It's nice to see Mansfield doing well.  It's a shame that Mansfield ISD dismantled Summit - I guess they could no longer stomach an Arlington school representing MISD.

Congratulations to all the other finalists at this competition. There were lots of great band competing and there are some great shows being put on the field this year. I'm hoping my band does better at the next competition and I'm looking forward to seeing how the other bands do this year

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Congrats to The Colony and getting the W! Not super surprised as they had an amazing year last year and seem to be building off that momentum. Seeing Panther Creek over Anna is somewhat surprising, but maybe this means Panther Creek should be on the upset radar for 4A, would love to see them at state finals, definitely think they will make state this year. Congratulations to all our finalists as well! 

I wholeheartedly agree. Seeing Panther Creeks show gave me a whole new appreciation for high school marching band. The amazing music moments along with an amazing visual performance truly is one of a kind. On top of that the ballad is really something else, can’t wait to see this bands future!

9 hours ago, Spitfire78 said:

Arlington Lamar did Area and Waco BOA on the same day last year - I guess Martin isn't going to get outdone.

It's nice to see Mansfield doing well.  It's a shame that Mansfield ISD dismantled Summit - I guess they could no longer stomach an Arlington school representing MISD.

just curious, what do you mean by dismantled?

9 hours ago, Spitfire78 said:

Are you sure? Arlington Lamar didn't qualify for area last year and I don't think they've ever been to a BOA contest before.