Its Official....DCI Headed To INDY For 10 YEARS

euro_euph06

Drum Corps International moving headquarters, bringing World Championships to Indianapolis

8/09/2006 -- 1:39 PM CST

DCI Press Release Video

Picture of the new Lucas Oil Stadium...

Indianastadium.jpg

Drum Corps International, the event producer and sanctioning body for the world's most elite and exclusive marching music ensembles for students, along with the Indiana Convention & Visitors Association (ICVA) and Indianapolis city officials, announced Tuesday that it will move its headquarters to the city of Indianapolis and bring its World Championships to Lucas Oil Stadium beginning in 2008.

The milestone announcement was made on the 50-yard line of Indianapolis

Man, you'd think that they would move marching band activities down here...such a cruel irony.

Then again, it's like football here...we have some of the best football teams in the nation, yet our professional teams suck. Not that our drum corps suck, but you know...I find it strange that there is no division 1 DCI corp down here despite the fact that a lot of corps get Texas recruits. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?!?!

*runs away*

FAQ: Drum Corps International and DCI World Championships move to Indianapolis

8/09/2006 -- 1:40 PM CST

Drum Corps International announced on Aug. 8, 2006, that it will move its headquarters to the city of Indianapolis and bring its World Championships to Lucas Oil Stadium beginning in 2008.

Why Indianapolis of all places? Are they paying DCI big bucks to do this?

Most cities are motivated to reach out and attract events, organizations and corporations which create a positive economic impact in their communities. It is estimated that the DCI World Championships will have at least a $10 million positive economic impact in each year of DCI

Screw.

This.

Not only will I be graduated from college, I will still have 8 years to go before I get the chance to see a DCI World Championship.

Well.

That sucks.

I will be 31 before I can have a chance to world championship? What are they thinking?

I get mad enough that BOA holds grand nationals in Indianapolis every year. Hasnt there been debate to move it around? Regardless, good for Indiana getting ALL of the large marching band organizations in their city. But, I think this is a very bad move for DCI, financially and support-wise.

I can understand where DCI is coming from, this does give stability to organizing a hugeass event every year, this still doesn't seem right. Xukaniz financially I think this is a good move for DCI, but you're right about it not being support wise. But I agree with the general feeling here, this sucks (and that's me using self control with my language). And once the Cowboy Stadium is complete, (2010 is the projected year that it will be I believe) it will be more advanced than the Lucas Oil Stadium, and will have a retractable roof (if I remember correctly).

Drum Corps International, currently headquartered in the Chicago suburb of Addison, joins the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Bands of America, the Percussive Arts Society, the American Pianist Association, Orchestra America and others in relocating to Indianapolis.

:blink: Wow. *Adds "visit Indianapolis" on list of Things to Do In Life.*

I can understand where DCI is coming from, this does give stability to organizing a hugeass event every year, this still doesn't seem right. Xukaniz financially I think this is a good move for DCI, but you're right about it not being support wise. But I agree with the general feeling here, this sucks (and that's me using self control with my language). And once the Cowboy Stadium is complete, (2010 is the projected year that it will be I believe) it will be more advanced than the Lucas Oil Stadium, and will have a retractable roof (if I remember correctly).

It better be frickin advanced, since we're gonna pay for it for the next four years out of our.... well, you get the idea.

• 1 month later...
Or come down to Houston and use Reliant

THAT'S what I like to hear! And move a div 1 corps to SOMEWHERE in Texas instead of having four or five div 3s.

Heck, if they moved PR, Vanguard, or even a corps like Pioneer to El Paso, it would still attract a Texas base! We could get the Texas Rangers Drum & Bugle Corps...

On second thought, let's call 'em the Astros!

THAT'S what I like to hear! And move a div 1 corps to SOMEWHERE in Texas instead of having four or five div 3s.

You may soon get your wish... A certain division 1 corps was up for sale after 06 for financial reasons, and it was bought by someone in San Antonio. The corps is likely to relocate to SA. Look for announcements tomorrow. I don't want to let the whole cat out of the bag, just small pieces. ^_^

Hint - The corps has appeared in DCI Finals many many times.

QUOTE (Moose @ Sep 18 2006, 10:17 PM)
You may soon get your wish... A certain division 1 corps was up for sale after 06 for financial reasons, and it was bought by someone in San Antonio. The corps is likely to relocate to SA. Look for announcements tomorrow. I don't want to let the whole cat out of the bag, just small pieces. happy.gif

Hint - The corps has appeared in DCI Finals many many times.

Crossmen?