DCI 2024

Tubalord11

7 minutes ago, packwick said:

oh do Bluecoats have some sort of premiere right now? ive been most excited to see them. gut feeling coming into the season was they might pull off the win.

Crown sounded great, but not feeling the show at all. id have BAC over them, bigger and more memorable moments for sure. more creative as well. ngl, i turned off both SCV and Mandarins halfway through, just didn't move me or keep my interest. buuuut still need to watch a proper high cam of lots of em.

yes! Their show is SOOOO GOOD! The music is so interesting, but their opening hit is so different to what they have done in the past. As they say, it truly echoes :)

devs are excellent. buuuuut i don't think this show is as strong as the past 2 yrs. then again i also don't really remember what those ones looked like in June lol. guard is killing it for sure, tho lots of samey toss-turn-catch phrases. i like the easy-going, 80s movie soundtrack feel of the ballad but it doesn't quite reach the peaks of their last two ballads.

def would give effect to the bluecoats right now. a more coherent, seamless product for now. better mise-en-scene as well, more balanced and less cluttered looking.

the results from later today could be informative. think bluecoats have content on lock among the big 3, esp visually. traditionally the biggest things holding them back have been execution and creating those truly huge moments musically, partially bc their favored style of music is so minimalist and fragmented. thiiink they're doing a better job on both fronts early season this yr. seem more confident. but i could still see Crown and BAC score wins in performance captions and overall energy/excitement. will be nice to see them all in the same venue, once the vids leak on YouTube lol.

11 hours ago, packwick said:

im a big devils fan, have accurately predicted their wins and the size of the scoring margins (prior to first meetup scores being rendered) for many years now, buuuut the fact that Scott needs to explain these shows in detail via YT is NOT a good thing. show, don't tell. i don't come away from the videos thinking, oh how brilliant! i come away thinking, wow, this is a muddy melange of half-baked ideas. doesn't always matter tho bc the devils' best shows have such great aesthetic and emotional peaks (w/ amazing performance qualities), so the confused theming doesn't always get in the way.

dunno. sometimes it feels a lil tiny bit like the metaphor in the Texas Sharpshooter logical fallacy, where the guy paints a target around a bunch of random shots and cries, bullseye!

Coincidentally, my personal favorite Blue Devils show, Cabaret Voltaire, is the one that allowed them to be random and disjointed without it bugging me. 😅 Besides the coherence stuff, I wish they would turn away from doing shows about artists or art movements and give us something truly left-field. Regarding this year's production, I think the show ends really strongly, but I'm not as sold on the rest of it. (It should be noted that I hate capes with a passion, so pretty much the entire first part makes me scream on the inside. 😃) Of course, since they're the Blue Devils, I might be holding them to a higher standard overall. The performers are marvelous, as always. And it still has its moments.

Is there a high cam of Bluecoats on YouTube yet? I'm playing catch-up. They're outstanding on multicam, but that's not an ideal view for predictions.

Boston and Crown were great, about what you'd expect. Boston's crayola costuming is making my eyes a little 🤪 but I like it. I think this is a stronger overall visual program compared to last year. Crown's brass section is amazing, per usual. A little bit of a slow burn at the start, but it gets there.

I really like the Beethoven parts in Phantom as well. It gives you something to latch onto, which is a bit rarer these days.

there was a high cam of Bloo around the day of the event. buuut got removed fast. lame! only had like 300 views. can't find it anymore. might be delulu as the kids says, but think upstairs vis will be in Bloo's favor this season. at least compositionally it was fab.

judges nailed the placements tonite. full agreement. ofc there were only 4 corps, so...

happy to see Boston improve. ofc it's the beginning of the season and scores were close, so they might not hold onto it.

think Bloo should have been closer to a full point ahead, mostly through effect, notwithstanding the sloppy trumpet soloists, weird audio balancing, and dirt in the last 2 mvmnts. judges were a little conservative w/ the gaps in GE. a minor quibble. we'll see what the double panels think. that's when s*** gets real. LOL

doesn't look like there's gonna be another one of these matchups for a couple weeks. bummer.

On 7/2/2024 at 11:53 PM, packwick said:

judges nailed the placements tonite. full agreement. ofc there were only 4 corps, so...

happy to see Boston improve. ofc it's the beginning of the season and scores were close, so they might not hold onto it.

think Bloo should have been closer to a full point ahead, mostly through effect, notwithstanding the sloppy trumpet soloists, weird audio balancing, and dirt in the last 2 mvmnts. judges were a little conservative w/ the gaps in GE. a minor quibble. we'll see what the double panels think. that's when s*** gets real. LOL

doesn't look like there's gonna be another one of these matchups for a couple weeks. bummer.

I just love the way you word things 

Do any of ya'll think Carolina Crown will hit the 80's in scores tonight? Blue Devils already have, so I'm curious to see how it will play out tonight. Also noticed that The Mandarins passed Santa Clara Vanguard in scores as well. If we were to base the scores as of now, here is how it stands-

As of (7/06/2024)-

World Class-

Blue Devils- 80.600
Bluecoats- 78.750
Boston Crusaders- 78.450
Carolina Crown- 77.950
Phantom Regiment- 77.500
Mandarins- 76.600
The Cavaliers- 75.900
Santa Clara Vanguard- 75.900
Blue Stars- 74.100
Colts- 73.150
Troopers- 71.450
Madison Scouts- 71.350
Blue Knights- 69.600
Pacific Crest- 68.650
The Academy- 65.500
Seattle Cascades- 61.650

Yet to Compete (Crossmen, Genesis, Jersey Surf, Music City, Spirit of Atlanta)

Open Class-

Blue Devils B- 63.850
River City Rhythm- 61.600
Spartans- 60.400
Gold- 60.250
Colt cadets- 59.300
7th Regiment- 53.350
Impulse- 51.250
Vessel- 51.050
Blue Devils C- 46.700

All Age Class-

Reading Buccaneers- 76.950
Cincinnati Tradition- 74.950
Bushwackers- 74.450
Hawthorne Caballeros- 74.300
Connecticut Hurricanes- 68.100
Fusion Core- 66.300
Govenaires- 66.000
Sunrisers0 64.200

8 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

Do any of ya'll think Carolina Crown will hit the 80's in scores tonight? Blue Devils already have, so I'm curious to see how it will play out tonight. Also noticed that The Mandarins passed Santa Clara Vanguard in scores as well. If we were to base the scores as of now, here is how it stands-

As of (7/06/2024)-

Word Class-

Blue Devils- 80.600
Bluecoats- 78.750
Boston Crusaders- 78.450
Carolina Crown- 77.950
Phantom Regiment- 77.500
Mandarins- 76.600
The Cavaliers- 75.900
Santa Clara Vanguard- 75.900
Blue Stars- 74.100
Colts- 73.150
Troopers- 71.450
Madison Scouts- 71.350
Blue Knights- 69.600
Pacific Crest- 68.650
The Academy- 65.500
Seattle Cascades- 61.650

Yet to Compete (Crossmen, Genesis, Jersey Surf, Music City, Spirit of Atlanta)

Open Class-

Blue Devils B- 63.850
River City Rhythm- 61.600
Spartans- 60.400
Gold- 60.250
Colt cadets- 59.300
7th Regiment- 53.350
Impulse- 51.250
Vessel- 51.050
Blue Devils C- 46.700

All Age Class-

Reading Buccaneers- 76.950
Cincinnati Tradition- 74.950
Bushwackers- 74.450
Hawthorne Caballeros- 74.300
Connecticut Hurricanes- 68.100
Fusion Core- 66.300
Govenaires- 66.000
Sunrisers0 64.200

They def could, and probably will be in the 79’s if they don’t. also looks like scouts might be having a comeback year and while it’s to early to tell, could be top 12. SOA is also sounding and looking Realllly good, excited to see where they start off tonight. 

bloo holding a little lead over devils at different contests today. 81.9 to 81.3. isn't the silly horse race part of DCI scores fun?

around this time last yr is when Devs opened up the huge 1.5+ gap that they maintained throughout the season. hasn't happened yet, maybe good news for the others. unless it's just slightly delayed this yr. lol

lookin at the recap, actually a chance that the 'true' gap b/w bloo and devils rn is bigger than 0.6. noticed right away that 6 of 8 judges had BD scoring lower than they scored tonight, while 6 of 8 had bloo scoring higher. devs were a bit buoyed by 2 judges, including GE1, which gets doubled at major events. bloo's 2 weak judges were brass and individual vis, again.

9 hours ago, packwick said:

bloo holding a little lead over devils at different contests today. 81.9 to 81.3. isn't the silly horse race part of DCI scores fun?

around this time last yr is when Devs opened up the huge 1.5+ gap that they maintained throughout the season. hasn't happened yet, maybe good news for the others. unless it's just slightly delayed this yr. lol

lookin at the recap, actually a chance that the 'true' gap b/w bloo and devils rn is bigger than 0.6. noticed right away that 6 of 8 judges had BD scoring lower than they scored tonight, while 6 of 8 had bloo scoring higher. devs were a bit buoyed by 2 judges, including GE1, which gets doubled at major events. bloo's 2 weak judges were brass and individual vis, again.

It makes me really happy seeing Bloo keep up with BD rn. Really love their show and hoping they can pull the “upset” if we’d even call it that. Crown and BAC still have potential, but my $’s on Bloo. But the season had just been such a step up from the past two, loving everyone rn. SA is gonna be a heck of a show. And tysm for your commentary, love reading all you have to say :)

somebody did a live stream of DCI west w/ their phone. filmed in portrait. also sounds like he's eating candy during the devs, lots of crinkling sounds. ugh. lol. go do some ASMR, fella.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmkU1_L4hU&pp=ygUQYmx1ZSBkZXZpbHMgMjAyNA%3D%3D

Devs make lots of grand exclamations w/ amazingly rich chordal moments in the brass that sound championship quality, but still not really fitting together, + only fitfully compelling visually. the pokemon battle music is still a major wtf for me in this thematic context, tho it may not be as bad if you're too old to recognize it lol. "It's not very effective..." iykyk. prob just the Devs' go at appealing to younger viewers. gotta link it all together somehow to make it magical from beginning to end.

i think their ens music perf is considerably stronger than the vis rn. devs are typically visual wizards. right near the start you see timing issues in the guard and form control issues in the brass, and they seem unusually persistent. mostly seems fixable tho.

scv still has that suuuper strong and aggressive brass sound, which is pretty cool considering they didn't field a corps last yr. i mean overall they're rock solid given the circumstances. visual seems to straddle an outdated and contemporary style, which might be why it's not super duper effective rn, along w/ the fact that it's quite dirty. like, parts of it look like they're going for the contemporary stagey style, but then the field doesn't look like a stage at all bc there's no scenic design, so it becomes unbalanced and uninteresting. the parts that are more like what Gaines does for Carmel w/ the traditional drill are a little more effective although more familiar and old-fashioned. guard seems kind of not there at times too. like the ending of that jazz section in the opener is sooo voluminous musically but the guard is just barely there, dancing around. needs more visual volume, should be a flag moment.

Mandarins are fun, really loud, i recall that from last yr too when i saw them live. just like a huuuge wall of sound. some really cool vis moments again, seems like they're figuring out how to write effective shows pretty consistently. i think my favorite vis part is the "unwinding uterus" in the opener LOL. my best description of it. flags around it could use some work.