DCI 2024

Tubalord11

9 hours ago, Liam Allen said:

Anyone going to San Antonio?  That’s going to be fun for a lot of new stuff.

I wish I was going back:( I’ll be at Denton in a couple days and will give yall a rundown of everyone I see. I will be watching SA though 

On 7/14/2024 at 9:42 AM, Tubalord11 said:

Bloo and BAC maintain leads over BD (1.5 and .6), with crown only being .3 behind and Phantom only being .8 behind.

I don’t want to call Bloo winning rn because everything seems to be going to perfect for everything to stay the way it is. Bloo at 88 though rn is INSANE!

(I love you Troopers please pull through)

39 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I don’t want to call Bloo winning rn because everything seems to be going to perfect for everything to stay the way it is. Bloo at 88 though rn is INSANE!

(I love you Troopers please pull through)

Troopers will be fine i promise. Once drill cleans up they will jump in score a good amount, could end up 9th at the highest imo, I have them in 10th rn but they will be fine. They definitely will be top 12 fs 

I drove to San Antonio a few years ago from Upstate South Carolina and hope to be there this year. I love the high school marching bands and drum corps competitions. While I am no longer a band director, I am still an adjudicator for GE, Music, and Marching so I stay involved in that manner. There is nothing like seeing the shows live or in person. I admire those participating in the marching arts for their commitment, sacrifices, and financial contributions. I am concerned about the financial part as it is getting so expensive. I don't know what the answer is to that part, but something must be done before more corps fold or have to take a hiatus. The same for the competitive high school marching bands. Bands of America, Youth Education in the Arts/YEA, and other marching band circuits also need to be concerned about cost including tickets.

Each of my posts I make will be my thoughts on each performance-

Zephyrus Drum & Bugle Corps- Crescent:

They were interesting to watch. Opening with a duet and including plenty of dance breaks, this show could show us what's in store for this organization from Tulsa, OK! I will say while it was interesting to watch, there is still quite a bit of work to be done (Mainly in their tone and marching techniques) before their next performance. But overall, I enjoyed the performance!

The Cavaliers- Beneath the Armor:

Alright, I already really like their uniforms, especially the shakos. A glass/shard look instead of the regular feathers is really unique! I really think they have a chance at top 7 after seeing this run. During the first 2 movements, I was really enjoying the music . I have noticed some issues with some of the high notes for the trumpets though (don't know if its the technique not allowing them to hit the note). I'm not sure about the slow movement though, the music isn't really my favorite choice, but I did like how they changed into split uniforms, a unique version to The Cadets 2011. I have to say its interesting hearing evanescence in a show (The song name is called Bring me back to Life), not something I was expecting. I have to say that this show gives me the same vibes as The Bluecoats 2016. They kept moving the props around and the music has a similar flow. Overall though, I really enjoyed the show!

Boston Crusaders- Glitch:

I wanted to start off by saying I like the different color uniforms for the brass, and the yin-yang style colors for the Colorguard, percussion, and drum majors. I really liked the opening moment and the percussion moment in movement 2/3. I have to say that they have my favorite ballad so far. It was done so well! I loved the ending! Having a false ending is always fun to watch and ending how they started was truly amazing! I really could see them possibly winning it all if they keep it up!

Mandarins- Vieux Carré:

This was my second time seeing their show and I have to say it was better than the last time I saw it about a month or so ago. I legit love the New Orleans style show and the way that the brass comes in is arguably AMAZING! I was still caught off guard by the huge brass statement a bit further into the show, during movement 2 I believe. I really liked the ballad movement as well. The dancing section in movement 4 with the Sousaphone solo was really cool! I understand that not many people enjoy this show, but I really do and can't wait to see how they finish this season!

Blue Devils- The Romantics:

HELLO to the reigning World Champions!!! That opening statement was definitely powerful. I love the fact that the props, when opened, have the Colorguard equipment in there. I really like the music they chose, and could see them taking one of the trophies this year. But we will have to wait and see on that. I have to say, I became focused on an individual who I thought had made a mistake due to them being so far away from everyone else on the left end field. It turns out though that it was one of the drum majors. That is a cool way to have them be involved when having to move around to another podium. They had great tone all around and definitely looks like they have put in a lot of work since their last performance. Overall, I really enjoyed the show and am very interested to see where they end up this season.

The Bluecoats- Change is Everything:

I LOVE the opening so much! Instead of being played all at once, it spread into sections before the main big hit. The echo that occurs really brings out something unique in this show that no one else has been able to have. And thats what makes this show my favorite one for this season so far. Another thing wanted to mention is how throughout the show, there is different moments that are throwbacks to older shows, like in movement 2/3, there is the tilt mention and at the beginning of the ballad, there is the run that was similar to downside up. The trumpet solos in the ballad were done so well, great tone and technique! The ending for me is truly within my top 3 favorites! Its performed so well! Overall, this show is really fun to watch and I would love to see it take the win this year! Also, props to the Colorguard & Percussion as well! They did phenomenal! 

Carolina Crown- Promethean:

This show is definitely unique. I liked the opening brass feature and it is not surprising that they are still in the lead for brass. The big prop towards the right end field is definitely different to everyone else I have seen this season (Its the biggest prop this season). I really like there style of the show this year. Makes me feel like I'm watching an actual story being told, and its up to my imagination to create this story. The ballad really made that pop into my mind. I really liked the second to last movement. The visuals were really fun to watch. Overall, I really like what Carolina Crown has in store and am really hoping they stay within the Top 5!

well with all the drum corps being done, I have to say I really liked each performance and believe all the bands that performed will be in the top 12 this season. Below is my personal rankings-

The Bluecoats

Boston Crusaders

The Blue Devils

Phantom Regiment

Carolina Crown

Mandarians

The Cavaliers

Hey everyone! Was able to catch this comp after work thanks to being able to pause the show before hand, so here’s my thoughts, sorry for the big post:

Cavaliers: Really love the first half, feels like the music that would be for this type of show, but I really don’t understand the direction they’re going in. The drill is very engaging, and they sound much improved, I just don’t really feel like this is a show they’d normally do, but very good regardless. Brass has really cleaned up, great performance Cavies!!! 

Phantom: WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! This corps just keeps blowing mind more each time o see them!!! Their best show in I don’t know how long. Guard is on another level, possibly the best PR’s ever had. Duet soloist are unreal, brass and perc are straight 🔥🔥🔥, I mean wow PR, just wow. Might be the show I’m most excited to see Thursday, not enough words to describe how much I love this show, incredible job PR, SUTA!!! 

Boston: BOSTON!!!! What a production they’re putting on!!! The new ending is SOOOO much better, guard is out of this world and my god do they sound incredible!!! GE is off the charts, drill is so entertaining, might be my favorite BAC show ever. They are doing an amazing just portraying the theme, and the uniforms look great!!! Could def see them snagging the silver this year, won’t be easy but definitely possible, amazing job Boston!!!

Mandarins: SOOO ENTERTAINING!!! God this show is so fun to watch!! Ballad is definitely the highlight for me, so beautiful with tons of musical expression. Drill is great, some parts musically I feel they are overpowering, causing some very minor tuning issues but that will be fixed very soon. Love the trio after the ballad, and just an amazingly designed show!! Biggest compliment is no spiny props :( Wonderful job Mandies!!! 

BD: Marching and Music is amazing, show design is just Meh. Like I don’t understand at all what the theme is, and it makes me kinda sad. Last year they had my favorite show, but I just can’t understand how this is in any way about “The Romantics”. Everything just feels like a step down from last 2 seasons. Guard and Perc are pretty dirty for them, which is like never and issue around this time, but some pretty exposed drops. They will still finish well, and the drill is Very cool, love the different box drill that gets bigger across the field, and they have some cool musical moments, just not my cup of tea, but they are performing the heck out of the show, amazing job BD!! 

Blooo: They are going to win this year! 

Crow: HOLY BRASS!!!! I haven’t seen them in a while and they have improved a TON!! Guard was also wow. This will probably be 4th, but medaling is still possible for them. I don’t understand the small usage of the big tower, they could do so much more with it, but yeah they were fantastic, just need that finishing touch!! And I do feel like it’s lacking in something, idk what yet, just feels almost not as challenging, but they still sound fantastic ! Amazing job Crown!!! 

Here’s my scores/caption thoughts: everything is as it should be. I think Crowns brass was the biggest surprise for me, but I do understand the gap. Otherwise yeah, Bloo looking mighty strong rn, and hoping BAC can take second, amazing job tonight everyone! 

5 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Here’s my scores/caption thoughts: everything is as it should be. I think Crowns brass was the biggest surprise for me, but I do understand the gap. Otherwise yeah, Bloo looking mighty strong rn, and hoping BAC can take second, amazing job tonight everyone! 

Hoping in my heart Bloo wins! My favorites so far this season besides Boston & Bloo have been Troopers and Mandies :). I can’t wait for DCI McKinney because I get to see them BOTH!!! :D

On 7/15/2024 at 12:50 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Troopers will be fine i promise. Once drill cleans up they will jump in score a good amount, could end up 9th at the highest imo, I have them in 10th rn but they will be fine. They definitely will be top 12 fs 

I literally have ranted to anyone and everyone about the Troopers, but I love their show so so much, even if it isn’t the best cleanliness wise. I hope they pull through and I know finals is on the horizon for them! (top 12 for sure as you said)