2024 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 8 & 9)

45 minutes ago, seafoodbuffet said:

TWHS in next five? Weren’t they silver medalists for the last two years? Possible but seems unlikely.

i think it's possible, not in love w/ their show yet, but it won't likely be cedar ridge that gives them the boot from the "top 5." drill so far seems closer to 2022/pre-pandemic levels than 2023 for twhs, not quite as compelling. i like the music a lil more than '23 so far tho, bc they're availing themselves of the color of the woodwinds more. takes me different places. having the best ever guard will likely elevate their vis scores, too.

41 minutes ago, TruthMatters said:

It's interesting the last 3 years that TWHS always seems to be one of those "people rank them lower" than they end up bands.  I get that Leander and Lewisville ISDs are powerhouses, but why doesn't TWHS get the same powerhouse type treatment as the others?

lol well my own reasons are that im picky with them. caaan't speak for others, but i think it may have to do w/ not being as musically dazzling, at least from a number of notes perspective. they don't just throw woodwind runs in for the sake of having them, for example. also the things they have been good at the last few years are less well-understood by general fans than by judges, like the entire visual side of things and some aspects of the music sheets.

Just now, packwick said:

lol well my own reasons are that im picky with them. caaan't speak for others, but i think it may have to do w/ not being as musically dazzling, at least from a number of notes perspective. they don't just throw woodwind runs in for the sake of having them, for example. also the things they have been good at the last few years are less well-understood by general fans than by judges, like the entire visual side of things and some aspects of the music sheets.

Valid points.  A lot of the comments do tend to focus on them not having as difficult a music book.  But they play the heck out of the one they do have. 🙂  Also they are the first high school marching band to make me forget the band and stare at the color guard for an entire show!  Now it's leaked over into DCI with just being dazzled with BD, BC, Crown, Boston guards!

2 hours ago, Baritone Legend said:

In the panel 2 on Friday, I would say that Rouse Has a decent chance of moving on, No? They're show wasn't bad at all at BOA Round Rock. a few mistakes or mess-ups here and there. But they always clean it up. Possible for them to make it to finals of BOA-SA?

That guy was tripping! Rouse, Coppell, The Woodlands, and Pearland all will comfortably make finals 

2 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

As always, I’ve put the schedule in the original post for ease of reference. 

Also, I am so excited to see bands coming from THREE states outside of Texas!  Mississippi, Arizona and New Mexico. Let’s goooooo!

Ive been loving the representation of other states in these competitive competitions in Texas (BOA Prosper as another example), it makes me wish in a vacuum that Texas was a little smaller or that transportation technology and expense was better, but Texas must be big to fit as many HEBs and Buccees we can lol

There's over a month left for cleaning, edits, and additions -- including full movements I have yet to see -- but I feel fairly confident about these ones based on what I've seen from the early regionals. Actually, my opinion hasn't changed at all in like 3 weeks. Maybe I'm a little inflexible. 😅 At the same time, I think these ones are kind of obvious, right? These are the shows with major wheels.

Top Half (in alphabetical order)

Flower Mound (P1 - Top 5)

Hebron (P2 - Top 5)

Marcus (P1 - Top 5)

Pearland (P1 - Top 5)

Ronald Reagan (P1)

The Woodlands (P1 - Top 5)

Vandegrift (P1 - Top 5)

Others in finals:

Cedar Park (P2 - Top 5)

Coppell (P1)

Rouse (P2 - Top 5)

Vista Ridge (P2 - Top 5)

I couldn't tell you who's winning yet. Essentially, these are the ones I'd be truly surprised to see miss finals. Based on this, there's more wiggle room in panel 2 than panel 1. 6 of my top 7 are from panel 1, but they will only take 5 of those straight to finals. That's a little concerning, and it makes me doubt that all of them will be top half, even if I think they belong there after watching the contest. Of that group, Reagan is the most vulnerable, I think, with Cedar Park, Rouse, or maybe even Vista Ridge bumping them into the bottom half. Still, I think all of these ones will be safely in finals.

Other ones I like for finals include Cedar Ridge and Westlake, but I just don't feel that confident yet about them, mixed in with the ocean of others. I do wish Bridgeland were attending this, as I think they'd put up a strong fight for the top half again, even with the increased competition compared to last year. Alas, we will have to wait until Nationals to see them at a BOA contest again.

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

There's over a month left for cleaning, edits, and additions -- including full movements I have yet to see -- but I feel fairly confident about these ones based on what I've seen from the early regionals. Actually, my opinion hasn't changed at all in like 3 weeks. Maybe I'm a little inflexible. 😅 At the same time, I think these ones are kind of obvious, right? These are the shows with major wheels.

💯

still a lil concerned about woods' prelims perf time combined w/ the foozball game the night before, won't get much sleep, gonna be a rough 24 hours, but hopeful they'll pull thru.

5 hours ago, quenslays said:

No idea about placements but these are my predictions for finalist.

Vandegrift

Ronald Reagan 

Hebron

Flower Mound

The Woodlands

Pearland

Marcus

Cedar Park

Vista Ridge

Rouse

Coppell

Dripping Springs

Cedar Ridge

Westlake/Leander/Bowie

yk what I will do my placements even though they are definitely so wrong

1. Vandegrift
  2. Hebron
  3. Flower Mound
  4. Cedar Park
  5. Marcus
  6. The Woodlands
  7. Pearland
  8. Ronald Reagan
  9. Rouse
  10. Dripping Springs
  11. Coppell
  12. Cedar Ridge
  13. Vista Ridge
  14. Bowie

FIRST OUT-Leander

On 10/6/2024 at 5:39 PM, TWHSPercDad said:

The schedule for TWHS (game Friday night, combined with Saturday’s 7:30 AM prelim time) is FAR from ideal. The student performers are going to have to step-up on this one…..then find ALL the energy they can muster to get them through Finals.

This will be a new experience for all of these performers. The last time they had a BOA SA-SR schedule like this was 2018 (or 2019). I’m getting too old to remember. Lol

i feel for em, aaand any of the other bands dealing w/ the same!! somebody has to get the short end of the stick every year. full day of school, football game done at like 10pm+, packing up, 3 1/2+ hour drive depending on how fast the buses go, then truck lot arrival time just before 6am for prelims. gonna have to try get a few hours of bus sleep methinks, only a couple extra hours of wiggle room in there. i wouldn't be able to sleep on a bus, not an easy sleeper. id just have to be a zombie for my prelims perf!! lolol. i have faith in them tho!!!

On 10/6/2024 at 5:39 PM, TWHSPercDad said:

The schedule for TWHS (game Friday night, combined with Saturday’s 7:30 AM prelim time) is FAR from ideal. The student performers are going to have to step-up on this one…..then find ALL the energy they can muster to get them through Finals.

This will be a new experience for all of these performers. The last time they had a BOA SA-SR schedule like this was 2018 (or 2019). I’m getting too old to remember. Lol

TWHS was first on in 2018 for UIL! Not as bad as the schedule they have lined up this year...

On 9/23/2024 at 3:07 PM, TruthMatters said:

Compared to this comp GN is a joke.  We could easily have 5 or 6 bands that don't make finals here who would make GN finals.  

That is not true. Every finalist at GN would seriously compete for top 6 here, every year. To believe otherwise is absurd. Your statement is essentially saying: 

Carmel

Avon

Tarpon Springs

Blue Springs

Broken Arrow

O'Fallon

And Dobbins Bennett 

Are all pushovers that can compete in the national stage but would not be nearly as competitive in a Super? Bollocks! Is the San Antonio regional the strongest of Super Regionals? Absolutely. Is it tougher than GN? Not a chance. 

7 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

That is not true. Every finalist at GN would seriously compete for top 6 here, every year. To believe otherwise is absurd. Your statement is essentially saying: 

Carmel

Avon

Tarpon Springs

Blue Springs

Broken Arrow

O'Fallon

And Dobbins Bennett 

Are all pushovers that can compete in the national stage but would not be nearly as competitive in a Super? Bollocks! Is the San Antonio regional the strongest of Super Regionals? Absolutely. Is it tougher than GN? Not a chance. 

To be fair I think O'Fallon and Dobyns are both bottom half finalists at SA, and would probably be on the bubble for finals.