Rockwall H.S., TX
Southlake Carroll H.S., TX
Wakeland H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Walnut Grove H.S., TX
Whitesboro H.S., TX
Wylie East H.S., TX
Wylie H.S., TX

Last year Rock Hill killed it. I mean coming in 6th along with beating Keller and Waxahachie. I'm curious to see how they will place this year. And I just love the Mckinney Boyd band. I saw them at State in 2022 and they might be a smaller group but man that brass section can produce sound. With a few out-of-state bands in attendance (and good ones too!) this will be a contest worth watching. I can't wait.

I will say that for those invested in the outcome of the Area J contest, this is practically a preliminary to Area J! With the combination of the Wylies, Mckinneys, and Prospers being present, itll be something of a sneak peek as to the most likely candidates for that final 4th state spot

1 hour ago, BbMarching said:

I will say that for those invested in the outcome of the Area J contest, this is practically a preliminary to Area J! With the combination of the Wylies, Mckinneys, and Prospers being present, itll be something of a sneak peek as to the most likely candidates for that final 4th state spot

It will be helpful, but boa and UIL have pretty different judging systems. We saw Rockhill beat both of the McKinney schools at this event last year just for them to beaten by both at area two weeks later. So I wouldn’t use this too heavily for any area predictions. 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

It will be helpful, but boa and UIL have pretty different judging systems. We saw Rockhill beat both of the McKinney schools at this event last year just for them to beaten by both at area two weeks later. So I wouldn’t use this too heavily for any area predictions. 

This, although I think the regular music and visual sheets can be kinda used to get something more objective in terms of individual and ensemble consistency, but at the same time I wouldn't use it very objectively either because McKinney High beat Boyd slightly in music for Prosper, but Boyd was significantly ahead at area in both aspects

On 8/14/2024 at 3:41 PM, TrenBS said:

I'll make a spitball for this, but the bottom half of finals is completely unpredictable in my opinion:
1. Marcus (Visual, Music)
2. Wakeland (General Effect)
3. Prosper
4. Jenks
5. L.D. Bell
6. Bentonville
7. Keller Central
8. Rock Hill
9. Wylie East
10. McKinney Boyd
11. McKinney North
12. Lone Star
Finalist Bubble: Wylie, Mustang, Southlake, McKinney, Azle, Rockwall

Realistically, the only locks apart from the top 6 are Keller Central and Wylie East in my opinion given how their show design and execution is very consistent for BOA measures, McKinney Boyd and North have had some pretty good momentum, but this competition got a tight finals bubble, I can see some of these bands finishing either in the top 8-9, or 15th/16th

bro has no faith in lone star 😭

27 minutes ago, JustaTuba said:

I can honestly see Lone Star getting anywhere from 7th to just outside of finals. Some of the groups ahead of them in Tren’s post have beat them previously at BOA Bedford last year. I’m very curious to see where they fall in all this chaos.

57 minutes ago, JustaTuba said:

Their content is never the issue, but the level of execution typically can cause inconsistent scoring for them, specifically their visuals which at Bedford was 2 points below their music scores, and overall placed below Southlake in a majority of the captions who placed below North and Forney at 11th, so unless they take a major step up Id place them around the 8-14 range depending on the bands around them

Definitely not throwing shade since their shows are generally great and they perform so well, but this competition is so brutal that the 7-17 bubble feels fairly interchangeable, it just depends on who is better and who is not which makes predictions for this competition fun lol

Prelims Schedule as of 08/26

7:45 - Commerce H.S., TX
8:00 - Prosper H.S., TX
8:15 - Lone Star H.S., TX
8:30 - McKinney H.S., TX
8:45 - McKinney Boyd H.S., TX

9:00 - BREAK

9:15 - James Martin H.S., TX
9:30 - Mustang H.S., OK
9:45 - Southlake Carroll H.S., TX
10:00 - Azle H.S., TX
10:15 - Jenks H.S., OK
10:30 - Rockwall H.S., TX
10:45 - Marcus H.S., TX
11:00 - Wylie East H.S., TX

11:15 - BREAK

12:00 - Keller Central H.S., TX
12:15 - Bentonville H.S., AR
12:30 - Lake Ridge H.S., TX
12:45 - L.D. Bell H.S., TX
1:00 - Whitesboro H.S., TX
1:15 - Rock Hill H.S., TX
1:30 - McKinney North H.S., TX
1:45 - Grapevine H.S., TX

2:00 - BREAK

2:15 - Wakeland H.S., TX
2:30 - Braswell H.S., TX
2:45 - Liberty H.S., TX
3:00 - North Mesquite H.S., TX
3:15 - Coweta H.S., OK
3:30 - Waller H.S., TX
3:45 - Walnut Grove H.S., TX
4:00 - Wylie H.S., TX

4:15 - EXH. Texas A&M Univ. Commerce Pride Marching Band

I agree- the schedules this year have been particularly rough. It looks relatively balanced, though, with no more than maybe 2 top-half finalist prospects per block.
The second performance slot particularly jeopardizes Prosper's top-half prospects. I have no doubt that they'll be fantastic, but it will be a big challenge to throw a strong number that can remain in the top 6 amongst Bentonville, LD Bell, Rock Hill, Jenks, Wakeland, Marcus, and Keller Central. They definitely have an uphill battle in prelims. Similarly with Lone Star, McKinney, and Boyd--the bubble is so large here and so many other groups have more desirable performance times. Luckily, these schools are all relatively close to Prosper, so early call times shouldn't be AS egregious, and performing in the morning does mean some cooler temps (hopefully not downright cold, though.)
I think Wylie can easily make it into finals with a decent run here. They perform at the end of the least-stacked block which also happens to be the dead last performance slot. Good for them! This would mark their first finals appearance at this regional.

I’ll speak for McKinney/Boyd and frankly Lone Star in that early draw times typically arent an issue, Boyd at least has been consistently having early call times since 2018 even for later performances for these scenarios, heck we were prepared for a 3AM call time for BOA Katy in 2021 before the directors decided against it purely because we would get home around 3AM, the call time wasnt seen as a problem lol

Even last year when Boyd had the earliest call time at Area C where they performed at 8:15 on a 50 minute drive, they placed exactly where they ended up in finals, so 30 extra minutes for performance on a 25-30 minute drive is frankly pretty nice. McKinney, Prosper, and Frisco schools are very strong on consistency, so I doubt these schools with the proximity of Prosper stadium will see MUCH reduction of a score, if at all. Personally I still see Prosper in the top 6 unless their judging stays random for them in general, and while Boyd could place from 8-15, I dont think the performance time is gonna heavily affect their score and wherever they place/score is what they will deserve, along with McKinney High, North, Lone Star, etc.

TL;DR, I have confidence in MISD, PISD, and FISDs consistency and I doubt these draw times will determine anything more than +-1 placement these groups, I can’t speak for any other districts of course but these Im confident in.

Edit: MISD also starts at 7:30 across the district, so as long as the call time isnt before 5:30, most band members are already on schedule for these call times because of school lol

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, ArtHouseGuy said:

This will be my first time attending a BOA comp, I've almost always only gone to UIL comps instead since my band (Plano Sr) never went to BOA at least while I was there. Does anyone have a quick rundown of how BOA could differ from UIL comps, or is it gonna be largely the same?

Scoring is the big difference. For boa, you’ve got music and visual, both having an individual and ensemble judge, both being 20% of the overall score (the two judges give each band a score out of twenty, then they add and divide the two for an average)Then there’s General effect (GE), where there are two music ge and one visual ge judge. Each score out of 20 and then the three are added up for total ge which is added two the two averages of music and visual. The website Hornrank does an amazing job with breaking down results. Captions for prelims are given to each of 4 classes (A, AA, AAA and AAAA) or 1A-4A. Size is based on enrollment grades 10-12.  12 bands to finals based on score regardless of class and class championships do exhibition if they don’t make finals. Other than scoring it’s just another marching contest. Have fun here, I’ll be around as well to see these awesome programs!

On 9/25/2024 at 11:32 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Scoring is the big difference. For boa, you’ve got music and visual, both having an individual and ensemble judge, both being 20% of the overall score (the two judges give each band a score out of twenty, then they add and divide the two for an average)Then there’s General effect (GE), where there are two music ge and one visual ge judge. Each score out of 20 and then the three are added up for total ge which is added two the two averages of music and visual. The website Hornrank does an amazing job with breaking down results. Captions for prelims are given to each of 4 classes (A, AA, AAA and AAAA) or 1A-4A. Size is based on enrollment grades 10-12.  12 bands to finals based on score regardless of class and class championships do exhibition if they don’t make finals. Other than scoring it’s just another marching contest. Have fun here, I’ll be around as well to see these awesome programs!

Awesome, good to know, thanks!

Rockwall had a strong march at Mesquite. Colorguard score not far off Hebron and one music judge even had them ahead of them!

Rockwall will go to Mckinney next weekend with a great shot at competing for the top spot. 

If this happens, they will be coming into BOA Prosper with a lot of confidence! 

They may not be a front runner to place top 3 here but making finals would be such a confidence boost for a pretty young band going into Area C