2024 BOA Bedford (Oct. 5)

20 hours ago, Liam Allen said:

Keller - incredible opening statement by Keller!  The organ has made an appearance!  Interesting use of silence throughout.  Great performance!

Some of that was actually due to all the electronic failures they were experiencing 😅

1 hour ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

ironically forney got the same placement as last year. sucks in general, but they still got a few more weeks to push thru the season, so im rooting for them! im planning on attending their community performance next weekend, so ill be with them another week (if everything works out).

They’ll be fine they have a great show that I think will do really well at Area and state. I genuinely hate BOA regional scoring to tell you the truth but that’s based off my own personal gripes 😅 regardless I’m always in here paying attention to BOA events and scores so jokes on me 

1 hour ago, LostChoirGuy said:

While GE is definitely impacted by design, I don't think its as much about the props and colors and pizazz that so many seem to suggest.  It is more about the wow moments where the music locks into place due to excellent intonation and expression or when the marching and formations lead to awesome moments.  I'm both cases, an amazing design will fail without excellent execution.  You can watch videos of some of the top bands in the country throughout a season and see that as they clean, their GE score is greatly increased as well because their shows become more effective.

then what’s the point in GE if it’s mostly based on cleanliness? If it’s about how well they play while hitting their dots we already have categories for that. If the GE category is about execution that’s basically the same as the subtotal, but just built as its own category. And design is still money based but I see the point you’re making.

2 hours ago, SaxSoldier said:

then what’s the point in GE if it’s mostly based on cleanliness? If it’s about how well they play while hitting their dots we already have categories for that. If the GE category is about execution that’s basically the same as the subtotal, but just built as its own category. And design is still money based but I see the point you’re making.

Good GE is about communicating musically and visually to the audience. Execution “dot to dot and note to note” does impact GE because excellence communicates well. Design also comes into play because it can provides the vehicle to communicate with.

1 hour ago, SaxSoldier said:

so basically just music and visual? there’s already judges for those. and for these categories I feel that it is more of a solid judging ground than the GE category. there’s ensemble and individual judges for both so feet in time and completing phrases are things that are already judged and can provide a solid reason for their scores. For GE on the other hand I feel it’s a little bit more opinionated. If you say a band executed better than an other you have to back it up with the music and visual (which we already have a category for) so there’s not really a point in it in my opinion. And if you say I feel like said band executed better because their their show sounded and looked better that’s more opinion based than student production based. GE to me feels like a glorified combined visual and music score but with added things like design which again, the kids can’t control.

I feel like GE is completely different from music and visual because a school might have a super easy to play and march show but the show might not make much sense to the over all idea of the show, so it might not be very enjoyable for the audience.

2 minutes ago, BoneGuy4 said:

I feel like GE is completely different from music and visual because a school might have a super easy to play and march show but the show might not make much sense to the over all idea of the show, so it might not be very enjoyable for the audience.

but that brings the question of where’s the foundation for judging? how do you judge a show on the enjoy ability of it and the effect it has on the audience. and if it doesn’t make sense to the idea of the show is that something that should be judged when we’re talking about performers. if the show it’s super clean but it doesn’t fit the theme do points get taken off simply because the design doesn’t compliment the music? if so, the kids can’t control that and I think we should be judging the kids performance and execution of skills rather than how non-performers designed a show.

I totally agree, I don’t enjoy the unpredictablbess of the judging, however I don’t like talking bad about it because I have no clue how you would fix that.

4 minutes ago, SaxSoldier said:

but that brings the question of where’s the foundation for judging? how do you judge a show on the enjoy ability of it and the effect it has on the audience. and if it doesn’t make sense to the idea of the show is that something that should be judged when we’re talking about performers. if the show it’s super clean but it doesn’t fit the theme do points get taken off simply because the design doesn’t compliment the music? if so, the kids can’t control that and I think we should be judging the kids performance and execution of skills rather than how non-performers designed a show.

1 minute ago, BoneGuy4 said:

I totally agree, I don’t enjoy the unpredictablbess of the judging, however I don’t like talking bad about it because I have no clue how you would fix that.

would you like me to encourage it then?😂

25 minutes ago, LoneStarSuperFan said:

I'm really excited to see what happens with Lone Star in the upcoming season. In my opinion, they are the best they've ever been and for this early in the season is great to see! In 2023 Lone Star placed 13th at BOA with a score of 77. Now we've seen a 3.25 point difference. (Correct me if I'm wrong) With moving 6 places forward. That is INSANE for the BOA world with only one season in between. Now there are a few things holding them back, individual marching level is not as high as it could be. I feel like another goal for the Lone Star staff is finally reaching the level that Wakelend is at. But if they continue this upward trend I do believe that it will be possible. By BOA Prosper this upcoming weekend? I'm not sure, but it is certainly possible this is all dependent on what they do with the feedback from judges. Not to mention, how they use their time this week.

14th last yr not 13th

Yeah I feel like we have the GE debate every year. I’m of the opinion that maybe 10% less of the score for GE of what we have now is a little more reasonable but that’s just me without repeating too much of what some other people have mentioned already. 

On 10/5/2024 at 9:10 PM, Nny14 said:

After BOA Austin I thought Vandegrift was going to go unchallenged protecting their San Antonio/ State title. I'm...not so sure about that now. Wow Hebron.

It was my first time to see Hebron in person and I was just totally blown away. No idea how they do it.

im getting word that L.D. Bell got a 10 point subtraction because of their drumline, is this possible?

after looking at the score sheet and all of that, theres no deductions at all really, im just confused right now

Just now, cheeto2401 said:

im getting word that L.D. Bell got a 10 point subtraction because of their drumline, is this possible?

after looking at the score sheet and all of that, theres no deductions at all really, im just confused right now

This definitely didn't happen lol, would have been on the recaps for sure