2024 BOA Round Rock (Sept. 21)

2 hours ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

How many bands make finals at a BOA event? Have heard BOA judges look for different things than uil judges. Can anyone explain differences? Either way cream rises to the top. 

Regular Regionals will tend to take 12 to Finals, unless it has 13 to 15, then all would make Finals. (Not sure why BOA Round Rock is not doing that but oh well)

Super Regionals will take 14 to Finals

Grand Nationals will take 12 to Finals

----

I believe BOA focuses more on GE than anything else. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

While UIL Focuses more on Music, but they are changing that as of recently.

14 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

Regular Regionals will tend to take 12 to Finals, unless it has 13 to 15, then all would make Finals. (Not sure why BOA Round Rock is not doing that but oh well)

Super Regionals will take 14 to Finals

Grand Nationals will take 12 to Finals

----

I believe BOA focuses more on GE than anything else. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

While UIL Focuses more on Music, but they are changing that as of recently.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Band1234556 said:

What are your thoughts on how Westwood, Westlake, and Lake Travis will preform this year, I think all of them are bands with super high potential for this year

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Westlake just went through some major staff changes so they might fall back for a year or two before they get back up there. Westwood has definitely been on the rise these past couple of years, I can see them placing 7th or maybe even 6th, and they are also the last to perform for Prelims. As for Lake Travis, they usually come out of the gate pretty strong, I’d put them probably around 5th or 6th.

12 hours ago, helms0s said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Westlake just went through some major staff changes so they might fall back for a year or two before they get back up there. Westwood has definitely been on the rise these past couple of years, I can see them placing 7th or maybe even 6th, and they are also the last to perform for Prelims. As for Lake Travis, they usually come out of the gate pretty strong, I’d put them probably around 5th or 6th.

Westwood is also going through director changes. In fact, Westlake just got Westwood’s director, and they’re phenomenal this year. Best early season Westlake in recent memory for me.

5 hours ago, Band1234556 said:

Only 15 bands to Boa Austin(Round Rock) this year? What happened, last year it was like double the size

New regionals plus the top end competition at the contest formerly known as BOA Austin is ridiculous, so there was always a small chance for one or two bubble bands to make finals. Now Waco and San Marcos gives those bands a better chance at finals, which is great for getting a second round of eyes on your program and is generally more fun for the kids. I don't blame the directors.

This just makes Austin a lower regional, a competition that has been so exciting since it came out. I suppose I will see about the same top 10 bands, but making finals just got way easier for everybody, Are we going to see everybody play in finals(class champions play in finals too). Its looking like most bands who didn't make finals last year with the exceptions of Bowie and Dripping Springs just went to San Marcus.

I’m waiting till the weekend at the earliest to drop final preds, but I’m starting to think that Cedar Park could win this. Vandy is really good and I think will take visual no matter what (haven’t seen Rouse, VR or RR yet), but I think what CP is doing is just more overall affective. Their visual ge is much stronger than Vandys, mainly due to Vandys size, but I’m really excited to see CP with their electronics on Friday, but they are looking ridiculous rn, but so is Vandy lol so idk. I’m considering making down the drive….possibly.

Predictions for the top 10:

1. Vandergrift

2. Cedar park

3. Vista Ridge

4. Rouse

5. Round rock

6. Westwood

7. Cedar Ridge

8. Lake Travis

9. Leander

10. Westlake

Let me know if you have anybody that I missed or your predictions. The shows I have seen so far are Leander, Westwood, Vandergrift, Cedar Park, and Westlake so the rest are based on not really educated guesses, if any of you guys have seen the other shows put a link or describe it or smth. Good luck to all the bands competing

12 hours ago, Oboeish20 said:

Snuck into a Leander stadium rehearsal today. Looks like their show is too hard for them right now. I don’t see them being in the Top half like some people say. Probably 7-9th.

It’s not. They are just working on the details right now. 🥰  Also remember this is the most show Leander has ever put on the field for the first contest of the season, so it’s going to look a little rougher than we are used to seeing right now. But things are actually going really well there, and they will get it sewn together nicely in another week of rehearsals!

26 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

It’s not. They are just working on the details right now. 🥰  Also remember this is the most show Leander has ever put on the field for the first contest of the season, so it’s going to look a little rougher than we are used to seeing right now. But things are actually going really well there, and they will get it sewn together nicely in another week of rehearsals!

Seems to me like Round Rock 2019, where they start passing people after BOA Austin.

2 hours ago, Oboeish20 said:

Seems to me like Round Rock 2019, where they start passing people after BOA Austin.

From what I recall, Round Rock was late in getting their show in 2019 and then it had major issues and they ended up reworking it significantly after BOA Austin. They did an awesome job to come from behind and do well later in the season and at GNs. So that's a different situation so far. 

Curious when you were there and for how long. I don't gauge much from the last few runs of the longest rehearsal of the week on a hot day. Kids are wiped out by then. Friday night will be a better barometer. 

2 hours ago, Oboeish20 said:

Speaking of Round Rock, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing their show!  I love what the guard is doing and I can’t wait to see what the costumes look like this year. So exciting!!  

#gorockband