2024 BOA Round Rock (Sept. 21)

8 hours ago, packwick said:

judging upstairs vis, i don't think i would have scored anything higher than an 82, maybe 83. in agreement w/ Jackie on that tonite. def some room for growth there. ofc the awful wind didn't help. those poor flag girls!!

Remember when even just hitting an 80+ in early October meant you were destined for late-season success? Now, everyone expects mid-80s by the end of September!

It will probably be a while before I'm astounded by anything both musically and visually, but even I think the ensemble music scores here were on the low-end in finals, at least for this new era of sky-high early season scores. Only an 81.5 for Vandegrift in that caption? They were quite technically dazzling, in my opinion.

Yeah all of the LISD and Central Texas bands in general, have lost a lot of time due to heat advisory, so far this year. They also lost several days at the beginning of the schoolyear due to lightning warnings for just about every afternoon for a week or so.  Sadly, very little rain from all of that, but that's life in Central Texas.

Wow what a day.  I just woke up after getting home around 1:30 from getting back to the school, and unloading instruments and props., I'm definitely not in mid-season form yet, but it'll come.

So proud of CP and all the other bands.  I got to see Vandy and Rouse in Finals, they were both excellent as expected.

Really looking forward to watching all of these shows grow and mature over the next 2 months, should be a fantastic marching band competition season.  

And now I think I'm going back to bed. :)

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

I'm not a fan of excuses, but it's also true that not all schools act the same when faced with the same heat. 🤷

imma rework these silly band arguments into LSAT prep for my students lolol. decided to add that test to my rep recently (after getting yet another perfect score to add to my collection, wut wut).

Kopek Band Student: The only reason Nancy High School band beat us at the Texas Marching Band Classic is because it was too hot, and we didn't have time to prepare.

Nancy Band Student: Nonsense. We live in the same area, and it was every bit as hot for us.

Nancy Band Student's response to the Kopek Band Student is flawed in that it... (answer choices)

and then the correct answer choice would be something like, overlooks the possibility that not all band directors are willing to rehearse their bands in the same weather.

ugh i love it.

22 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

Yeah, it's been so much hotter at Rouse high school than it has been at Leander, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge or Vandegrift. 😕

It's 100% possible for schools within the same area to have different environmental factors affect the heat index and the wet bulb, in particular. 

For instance, Flower Mound is much closer to a lake than Hebron is, which means humidity will be higher and consequently the HI and WBGT will also be higher.  If the temperature and general humidity put the readings close to the limit, Hebron might be able to go outside while FM is stuck rehearsing indoors at the same time time of the day.

Also consider whether or not the band has easy access to shade for breaks at their practice field. That's another aspect of the new UIL recommendations thet can affect a band's ability to be outside for any length of time.

It's important to be safe when dealing with high temperatures, but bands have been making it work for years without issues.  To now put such strict limits on what we do is reactionary at best, unfortunately. 

The fact that bands are rehearsing as early as 5:30 in the morning or consistently finishing rehearsal at 9:30 at night to work around the restrictions makes it all that much worse on the students. 

1 hour ago, aaron067 said:

It's 100% possible for schools within the same area to have different environmental factors affect the heat index and the wet bulb, in particular. 

For instance, Flower Mound is much closer to a lake than Hebron is, which means humidity will be higher and consequently the HI and WBGT will also be higher.  If the temperature and general humidity put the readings close to the limit, Hebron might be able to go outside while FM is stuck rehearsing indoors at the same time time of the day.

Also consider whether or not the band has easy access to shade for breaks at their practice field. That's another aspect of the new UIL recommendations thet can affect a band's ability to be outside for any length of time.

It's important to be safe when dealing with high temperatures, but bands have been making it work for years without issues.  To now put such strict limits on what we do is reactionary at best, unfortunately. 

The fact that bands are rehearsing as early as 5:30 in the morning or consistently finishing rehearsal at 9:30 at night to work around the restrictions makes it all that much worse on the students. 

I've been saying this when comparing Dallas and Austin bands to Houston bands. Of the perennial contenders, Pearland has it the worst - less than an hour from the coast. It's awful. Bridgeland, CyFair, TWHS are not much better off.

On 9/22/2024 at 12:43 AM, MikeKyu said:

Yeah, it's been so much hotter at Rouse high school than it has been at Leander, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge or Vandegrift. 😕

All LISD Bands go off of one specific WetBulb Heat Index number. So if rouse inside, so is Vandegrift, Vista, Cedar Park, and Leander. I know what you’re referencing and that week was miserable, it’s hot everywhere though. 🙂

On 9/22/2024 at 1:31 AM, lost said:

Rough start for a couple of bands, namely Lake Travis and Vista Ridge a little off where they usually start their seasons at.

Vandegrift is outstanding as always, they’re surely contending for a win at SA.

Director changes at both LT and Vista will do that for you. LT's marching director went to Vista, in fact.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:31 AM, lost said:

Rough start for a couple of bands, namely Lake Travis and Vista Ridge a little off where they usually start their seasons at.

Vandegrift is outstanding as always, they’re surely contending for a win at SA.

Not sure if I would classify it as a "Rough" start, it was a very competitive competition with lots of great bands and I think they both did well for this early in the season, even with new directors.   Vista typically ranks around this level at BOA RR and not much different from where they have been historically for this time in the season from 2018 forward.

VR BOA RR History

2015:  9th  72.35

2016:  6th  73.15

2017:  10th  73.65

2018:  4th  82.05

2019:  4th  83.35

2021:  5th  80.63

2022:  4th  81.15

2023:  3rd  83.5

2024:  5th 80.25

9 hours ago, gregorydf01 said:

Not sure if I would classify it as a "Rough" start, it was a very competitive competition with lots of great bands and I think they both did well for this early in the season, even with new directors.   Vista typically ranks around this level at BOA RR and not much different from where they have been historically for this time in the season from 2018 forward.

VR BOA RR History

2015:  9th  72.35

2016:  6th  73.15

2017:  10th  73.65

2018:  4th  82.05

2019:  4th  83.35

2021:  5th  80.63

2022:  4th  81.15

2023:  3rd  83.5

2024:  5th 80.25

I think you took the comment too personally, if you look at my post history I’ve been very celebratory of Vista Ridge.

This is for what it’s worth their lowest finish since 2021 and overall one of their lowest finishes ever since 2017. I’m sure they’ll come back at the end, it’s what they always do.

7 hours ago, Bandmanio said:

Churchill has been an Area D Finalist consistently since 2016. Don't really see them out of the mix again this year.

I mean finalist is good an all but i was talking about actually making state in which case i think churchill would be out of the talk due to cedar ridge, reagon, westwood, dripping springs, ctj, Round rock, and possible even bowie and mcneil so yeah