2024 BOA Round Rock (Sept. 21)

39 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Vista Ridge HS-Our Journey of Hope: 

JESUS Vista Ridge! Was literally listening to a concert band, because they sounded ridiculously good!! Loved the opening with the horn and tubas as the band is split into two sides coming together. Drill is once again so clean, I have a feeling the visual judges will be having a picnic today. Love unexpected almost jump scare into the more dark part 2, and then we come back into the light in the ballad. Soloist were incredible all around, drum feature was great, but I mean they sounded just so clean. Could easily see them taking music tonight. Guard provided so much GE and storytelling, really can't wait to see that show again, wonderful job Rangers! 

Dang if vistas visual is this clean then Taylor Trevino did his job right. In the past few years their visual was the thing holding them back from a state championship…

3 minutes ago, Band1234556 said:

Dang if vistas visual is this clean then Taylor Trevino did his job right. In the past few years their visual was the thing holding them back from a state championship…

Yeah it's definitely been the cleanest it's been the early in the season I don't think it will be much of any of a problem for them this season. Really good stuff from them this morning! 

Liberty Hill HS-Drawn Upon: 

Welcome to BOA Liberty Hill! Beautiful euphonium solo of Fur Elise at the beginning going to the opening hit. Their size does unfortunately limit their volume, but clarity wise very good ensemble sounds. Guard was the big standout, just amazing work all around that really helped with GE. Visually they did wonderful, and just a really solid performance all around, would love to see them later. Great job LH! 

46 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Round Rock HS-Ars Nova: 

Right off rip, these new uniforms are SO COOL! Sax soloist in the opener was awesome going into the amazing first hit! Such big ensemble sound, really great transition into the second movement. Woodwinds and brass features throughout part two, and while ones playing, the other is doing some really cool and clean visuals. Really love the step they are moving in visually, the new staff has already started to do wonders for this program, just so cool. The ballad was so much fun, loved the woodwinds doing flag work with the guard with the orange and blue, tons of affect while the brass is jamming out. Loved this show a lot, and the future is really bright for this program. Incredible job Dragon Band!! 

Sorry not to be the grammar police, but I think you meant “effect” instead of “affect”. W Round Rock. 
#hebronontop

18 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Vandegrift HS-Chasing Infinity: 

Vandy once again showing why they're consistently on the top! Not my cup of tea, but they still sound and look amazing!! The opener is definitely my favorite part, just really visually watching the big Star coming forward as the music starts to build in intensity! Ofc their dance team was just insane, really great stuff from them as always! Could definitely see them taking the win, but I think there's some more room for other bands to take that top spot. Really interested to see how they place in the top 5, but just amazing work as usual from them. Amazing job Viper Band and Vision Dance Company!!! 

I think it will rely heavily on GE, they look and sound amazing as always but in my opinion the show lacks greatly in general effect

12 minutes ago, BandFan50 said:

I think it will rely heavily on GE, they look and sound amazing as always but in my opinion the show lacks greatly in general effect

I tend to agree with you. Obviously they’ve got the different infinity signs but I was struggling some to follow the theme at times. Still amazing work from them as you said! 

5 minutes ago, Dad said:

Insider info…a certain West Austin school is dealing with major issues with transportation.  They will be borrowing someone else’s pit gear and they will be without their props.  They also had a bus break down at last night’s football game.  Good to get it all out of the way now?

Is said school near a lake? Or near a mill?

22 minutes ago, BaritoneBallah said:

now that this block has concluded is anyone bold enough to drop some quick updated predictions?

They are unbelievably spicy rn: 

Rouse 

Vista Ridge 

Cedar Park

Cedar Ridge 

Vandegrift 

Round Rock 

Doubt this will be anywhere close, just my personal rankings more so tbh. I Have sincerely enjoyed each performance today though, everyone has been amazing and I don't envy the judges at all 

12 minutes ago, Dad said:

The lake version

Sorry to hear this, hoping they still have an amazing performance regardless 

Lake Travis HS-Winter Bird: 

LOVE this show!! Opening hit was so powerful and controlled, and that soloist sounded so beautiful. Great transition into the Battle of the Ice movement, which I loved how they played as a more vibrate and light version compared to the original piece. Love the red on the guard, goes so well against the white of the band uniforms and really makes a good Winter feeling, adding GE to the show. Visually a tad bit of dirt here and there but they play so beautifully, just such a wonderful design, and the big bird set during the ballad was just perfect, amazing job LT! 

Also, I was eating during McCallum, but I did get some and they looked great! 

42 minutes ago, Dad said:

Insider info…a certain West Austin school is dealing with major issues with transportation.  They will be borrowing someone else’s pit gear and they will be without their props.  They also had a bus break down at last night’s football game.  Good to get it all out of the way now?

Absolutely.  Way better to get it out of the way now, than in UIL or San Antonio.

Just got home after pit-packing for CP, I gotta tell you it's hotter than hades out there.  I don't envy the bands going in block 2 but it's a REALLY good thing it'll be done before the true heat of the day.

Gonna just chill in the A/C until we find out our performance time tonight, everybody enjoy the show.  Finals are going to be pretty epic this year I think.

Leander HS-Shades: 

WHAT A FUN SHOW!!! We have a fully shaded out band, and I love it! Amazing sounds in the opener, though a couple minor stickouts, but the big sunglasses set is just brilliant! Second movement was so much fun, great showoffs of the different sections, and OMG THAT BALLAD, Holy Flugelhorn soloist!!! WOW WOW WOW!!! Amazing staging on the big sunglasses, but my gosh that will be a fan favorite all season long. Drill was very good, couple small inconsistencies but they blew the roof off. CAN"T WAIT to see them again tonight!!! Amazing job Leander!! 

Klein Cain-Pipelines: 

Really great stuff from our Houston band!! Unfortune electronic issues, but the band sounded really good. Definitely some interesting musical moments, visual wise was pretty clean and I think they have a solid shot at finals. Great job KC! 

Also, I was grabbing a snack during the Westlake announcement, are they not performing at all or now after Westwood? 

5 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Klein Cain-Pipelines: 

Really great stuff from our Houston band!! Unfortune electronic issues, but the band sounded really good. Definitely some interesting musical moments, visual wise was pretty clean and I think they have a solid shot at finals. Great job KC! 

Also, I was grabbing a snack during the Westlake announcement, are they not performing at all or now after Westwood? 

I think it's going to be after Westwood and they'll be using Westwood's front ensemble.  Unfortunately no props for the Chaps this time.

Westwood-Timeless: 

Lovely flute solo with the guard member running through the brass into the opener! Love the usage of these many different classical pieces throughout, they combine them very flawlessly. Beautiful work from the synth player and soloist during the ballad, great visual work from the band during it and great management of the tempo changes at the end. Guard added a ton of effect, really cute show from Westwood!