2024 BOA Webster (South Houston - Oct. 5)

21 minutes ago, tubapop said:

I don’t know, a national competition? The point is that it’s an intentional misnomer for marketing purposes. Nobody wants to attend a “national competition that isn’t actually a championship,” so they call it a national championship. But that ain’t what it is. National, yes, but not a championship. Anyone who wants to go can go. 

Their intention is for it to be a national championship. Many factors prevent the best every year from attending, but this is a close as we can get. I understand your point, but being strongly opinioned doesn't make you correct.

11 minutes ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

Their intention is for it to be a national championship. Many factors prevent the best every year from attending, but this is a close as we can get. I understand your point, but being strongly opinioned doesn't make you correct.

I don’t disagree that this is as close as we can get. I’m simply saying it isn’t a playoff system. Maybe we have differing definitions of the word “championship.” 

18 hours ago, tubapop said:

Nationals is nothing more than a marketing slogan. It’s not actually a national championship. The vast majority of bands attending are not hard hitters. Nothing wrong with a Texas band, even if it’s a lowly one, attending nationals. 

Strange to refer to Bridgeland as “lowly” they’re a fantastic program.

I think you wholly misunderstood my post though. For what it’s worth it *is* the highest level marching competition in the USA. Yes, everyone can go, but for all its purposes that’s what it is. Unsure why you’re stuck on the semantics of it.

I get the majority aren’t hard hitters never said they weren’t. 

What I meant and what you didn’t understand was that going to nationals is a notoriously expensive endeavor. It is not selfish of bands, parents and supporters to want their band to take the best program possible to get the most bang for your buck. Sure it’s an outstanding educational opportunity regardless if you make finals or heck semifinals, but it is a *pricey* educational opportunity.

It sounds really crude to say it, but ideally bands go to nationals primarily to score a good placement for their program. That is obviously amidst a variety of gaining wonderful educational benefits, but at the end of the day good placements at what is nationals (or what you dub fake nationals) is the opportunity for programs to demonstrate to their districts and communities that they’re worth the investment.

Sometimes it’s best to reserve that investment until you can assure consistent success to yield greater results in the long term. That is all I was saying, and I meant no aggression in it. Again confused about your semantics regarding the title when my post wasn’t even remotely related to that.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Strange to refer to Bridgeland as “lowly” they’re a fantastic program.

I think you wholly misunderstood my post though. For what it’s worth it *is* the highest level marching competition in the USA. Yes, everyone can go, but for all its purposes that’s what it is. Unsure why you’re stuck on the semantics of it.

I get the majority aren’t hard hitters never said they weren’t. 

What I meant and what you didn’t understand was that going to nationals is a notoriously expensive endeavor. It is not selfish of bands, parents and supporters to want their band to take the best program possible to get the most bang for your buck. Sure it’s an outstanding educational opportunity regardless if you make finals or heck semifinals, but it is a *pricey* educational opportunity.

It sounds really crude to say it, but ideally bands go to nationals primarily to score a good placement for their program. That is obviously amidst a variety of gaining wonderful educational benefits, but at the end of the day good placements at what is nationals (or what you dub fake nationals) is the opportunity for programs to demonstrate to their districts and communities that they’re worth the investment.

Sometimes it’s best to reserve that investment until you can assure consistent success to yield greater results in the long term. That is all I was saying, and I meant no aggression in it. Again confused about your semantics regarding the title when my post wasn’t even remotely related to that.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I did not mean to refer to Bridgeland as a "lowly" program; I meant that any program, even if it is lowly, deserves to go if they want to go. I can see how one might have read that to mean I think of Bridgeland as lowly, but that is certainly not the case (I am a BL parent and a big supporter).

I read through your reply and I now better understand where you're coming from. Ultimately, I think it's the band program's decision, and if they want to spend what is admittedly a large sum of cash on a trip to Grand Nats when they perhaps aren't in a position to score well, that's their right. I suspect you would agree that it's their right, but you might consider it ill-advised. I would agree with you that it's ill-advised.

As far as the semantics, it's a pet peeve of mine, but it matters. In the world of sports, a "championship" is typically a contest between the very best. They are *all* present. They all had to earn their way in. With Grand Nats, you have a smattering of heavy hitters which changes every year except for the local Indiana bands, a lot of lower bands that just signed up because they're local and they can, and a lot of greats that are not there because it's too expensive to go every year. I don't know if you're an NFL fan, but imagine a Super Bowl or NFL playoffs in the 2010s where the New England Patriots just weren't competing. Or a 1990s NBA playoffs where Michael Jordan's Bulls just sat out. Yeah, maybe Avon had a great show, but if Hebron, Vandegrift, Marcus, and whoever else weren't present, then who's to say Avon deserved #1? To me, it's hard to call it a true national championship unless every heavy hitter from across the country is present (which is mostly just Indiana, Florida, Texas, and a couple others). I know it isn't practical, and it will never happen.

5 minutes ago, tubapop said:

Yeah, maybe Avon had a great show, but if Hebron, Vandegrift, Marcus, and whoever else weren't present, then who's to say Avon deserved #1? To me, it's hard to call it a true national championship unless every heavy hitter from across the country is present (which is mostly just Indiana, Florida, Texas, and a couple others). I know it isn't practical, and it will never happen.

I totally get where you’re coming from and have often bemoaned the fact that we will never know who really is the best band in the country every year since they don’t all go, but I have come to appreciate the contest for what it is. And it’s just so dang incredible to be in that stadium supporting your favorite program. There’s no other contest like it!  😍😍

1 hour ago, Clamp said:

Would you guys say boa is where more “dancy” bands or one with alot of choreo tend to place higher or not.

I think it really depends on who is judging. Marching band is a very subjective activity in which different judges prioritize different things while judging. But I will say, choreo does add a WOW factor and makes a show more interesting. 

2 hours ago, Clamp said:

Would you guys say boa is where more “dancy” bands or one with alot of choreo tend to place higher or not.

I feel like with BOA it’s more about the choreography itself and what level of depth/effectiveness it adds to the show, of course if it’s executed really well and in time that adds a nice “shine” but if it’s not really interesting choreography, it’s not really gonna add as much if it was some super cool ninja moves. With UIL, it’s more so about how clean, together, and consistent it was focusing more on the cleanliness aspect. With BOA it may not be the MOST together but if it’s fairly together it can do you a  favor here or there, but like the person above me said, it depends on who’s judging.

2 hours ago, Clamp said:

BOA scores are more heavily weighed towards General Effect, specifically the Music portion of GE. The visual portion of GE doesn't mean they are looking specifically for more movement, you can tell with how well our Texas bands do out of state. Now are there judges that are generous towards more movement based drill, sure, but overall I think the best example of an out of state powerhouse that is close to traditional would be Carmel.

We can also look at Grand Nationals last year how Hebron overall placed 3rd. While people might believe BOA overlooks cleanliness, it was their visual scores that held them back. Judges had them mostly in 5th as well as 4th which had nothing to do with movement, but just straight forwardly they weren't visually clean (it's very noticeable on high cams). 

Well here's the breakdown for BOA scoring; 

Category Performance * + Effect = Points
Music
Ensemble Performance (20)
+
Music Effect (40)
=
Individual Performance (20)
Visual
Ensemble Performance (20)
+
Visual Effect (20)
=
Individual Performance (20)

Subtotal
=
Field & Timing
=
Total
= 100.00

On 12/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2024 Webster (South Houston) Regional will be held on Oct. 5 at CCISD Challenger Columbia Stadium in Webster, TX.

Prelims Schedule as of 8/20/24:

7:00 AM - TBA
7:15 AM - TBA
7:30 AM - Tomball H.S., TX
7:45 AM - Clements H.S., TX
8:00 AM - Angleton H.S., TX
8:15 AM - Klein Cain H.S., TX
8:30 AM - Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
8:45 AM - Cypress Park H.S., TX

BREAK

9:15 AM - Brazoswood H.S., TX
9:30 AM - Shadow Creek H.S., TX
9:45 AM - Clear Brook H.S., TX
10:00 AM - Pearland H.S., TX
10:15 AM - Foster H.S., TX
10:30 AM - Klein Oak H.S., TX
10:45 AM - Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
11:00 AM - James E. Taylor H.S., TX

BREAK

12:00 PM - Grand Oaks H.S., TX
12:15 PM - Ridge Point H.S., TX
12:30 PM - Langham Creek H.S., TX
12:45 PM - George Ranch H.S., TX
1:00 PM - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
1:15 PM - West Harrison H.S., MS
1:30 PM - Clear Springs H.S., TX
1:45 PM - Friendswood H.S., TX

BREAK

2:15 PM - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
2:30 PM - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
2:45 PM - Dickinson H.S., TX
3:00 PM - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
3:15 PM - Clear Lake H.S., TX
3:30 PM - Dawson H.S., TX
3:45 PM - Cy-Fair H.S., TX
4:00 PM - Bridgeland H.S., TX

4:15 PM - Prairie View A&M University Marching Storm (Exhibition)
4:30 PM - Prelims Awards Ceremony

We’ve got the schedule!  It’s also in the original post. 

56 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I agree—Cain and Clements need to be lit up to hold a finalist spot. That last block is STACKED!

Aren't these supposed to be a random draw? What are the chances that all of the heavyweights, minus CTJ (which still has an afternoon spot) and Pearland, would land in that last block?

On 12/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, LeanderMomma said:

1:00 PM - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
1:15 PM - West Harrison H.S., MS
1:30 PM - Clear Springs H.S., TX
1:45 PM - Friendswood H.S., TX

My favorite part of the entire schedule is this little Mississippi band stuck right there between CTJ, Clear Springs and Friendswood!  How exciting is that for them?!  My goodness I hope everyone in the stands gives them a standing ovation!  😍😍

2 hours ago, tubapop said:

Aren't these supposed to be a random draw? What are the chances that all of the heavyweights, minus CTJ (which still has an afternoon spot) and Pearland, would land in that last block?

I agree it’s hard to believe the top bands all managed to get a spot from noon to 4

15 hours ago, Saw said:

Anyone from the first block have a chance at making finals?

I believe in the first block that Clements would have the best chance at finals out of anyone from that block. Clements and then Klein cain. Those are the two with the best chance from block 1. But got to feel bad for those schools in the first block. Even if they do make finals, that day will be rough regardless

On 8/22/2024 at 9:50 PM, Clamp said:

Anyone wanna take a swing at ranking the bands in each block?

I will do top 5 in each block, Finalists underlined

First Block:

1. Cypress Ranch

2. Klein Cain

3. Cypress Park

4. Angleton

Second Block:

1. Pearland

2. Clear Brook

3. Klein Oak

4. Foster

5. Brazoswood