2024 BOA Webster (South Houston - Oct. 5)

5 minutes ago, youraveragebandkid said:

Is it just me or is this stadium’s sound very…echoey??? Because during my performance in our last movement our clarinet soloist’s mic sounded so reverberant and echoey??? Ofc it didn’t keep me out of time- we all kept a very steady tempo, but that was kind of confusing… can anyone provide intel about the sound quality in this stadium?

This stadium is kinda infamous for sounding horrible. It’s also a pain to deal with due to the press box being so far away. 

16 minutes ago, Sk23 said:

This stadium is kinda infamous for sounding horrible. It’s also a pain to deal with due to the press box being so far away. 

Our band directors just told us the track is about double the one in our field so I can imagine

32 minutes ago, youraveragebandkid said:

Is it just me or is this stadium’s sound very…echoey??? Because during my performance in our last movement our clarinet soloist’s mic sounded so reverberant and echoey??? Ofc it didn’t keep me out of time- we all kept a very steady tempo, but that was kind of confusing… can anyone provide intel about the sound quality in this stadium?

It’s echoey, which may be why so many bands pushed to move the Area E contest to Alvin ISD’s stadium. There’s less parking in Alvin, but field acoustics are better.  Foster’s preliminary performance looked very good!  I hope it’s a late night for y’all!

3 minutes ago, MadHornist said:

It’s echoey, which may be why so many bands pushed to move the Area E contest to Alvin ISD’s stadium. There’s less parking in Alvin, but field acoustics are better.  Foster’s preliminary performance looked very good!  I hope it’s a late night for y’all!

Yeah and I’m very glad they changed it to Freedom Field- I have hope that we will have a long night ahead of us 😄

1 hour ago, youraveragebandkid said:

In the stands, I feel very far from the performers. There’s a track and a very wide sideline. The only time I’ve noticed it sounding echoey is when people have played to the backfield. It seems a lot of woodwind sounds are disappearing here too compared a lot of stadiums 

I like the extra distance. I get a better view. And there’s no noticeable diminished volume. I can hear the woodwinds clearly and even the duts. Haven’t noticed any echo. It’s breezy though. 

1 hour ago, Yoyoyoyo66 said:

I think Brazoswood did very well, for the first time seeing their show I can see them potentially having a second performance, same goes for shadow creek, MAN they sounded and looked good 

SC has HOCO dance tonight so will not have a second performance regardless of their score. 

1 minute ago, Clamp said:

How did Langham and ranch do?

Didn’t see ranch. Friends of mine said there was a problem with electronics in the morning and BOA had to bring in a generator. Langham was clean and sounded good. The show lacks energy, though. I’m hopeful they get to finals. 

7 minutes ago, tubapop said:

Didn’t see ranch. Friends of mine said there was a problem with electronics in the morning and BOA had to bring in a generator. Langham was clean and sounded good. The show lacks energy, though. I’m hopeful they get to finals. 

Was fortunate enough to catch ranch and parks, from what I could here getting into the stadium, Klein Cain was solid. Ranch was solid. I’m excited to see where Cy parks heads’

1 hour ago, Yoyoyoyo66 said:

I think Brazoswood did very well, for the first time seeing their show I can see them potentially having a second performance, same goes for shadow creek, MAN they sounded and looked good 

Who would you say is the better out of the two?

Yeah, Bridgeland kind of stunned me, actually. I thought they were outstanding. Of course, I wish the ending felt like more of a proper ending, but it's a work in progress. Overall, a really lovely visual program with some really fresh music choices.