2024 BOA Webster (South Houston - Oct. 5)

Yeah, nobody was paid off tonight. I think the shifts underscore two things. Firstly, how truly subjective judging in this activity is, especially when the bands are fairly close in quality. And secondly, that Music For All is in the process of training lots of new, or relatively new, judges. It's possible that some are not quite linked into the "hive mind" yet, so to speak. Of course, even more experienced adjudicators make some pretty unique choices from time to time. 😅

On 9/30/2024 at 10:43 AM, Cy-FairDad said:

Super happy with our performance this Saturday. Especially after all the hours us Band Dads and Moms spent on those props. Shout out to all the old Band Dads and Moms like me! Thank you everyone for such kind commends regarding our program here at Cy-Fair. I can't reveal too much but we have big things coming up that we have yet to reveal! Our Band Directors shared with us some of the Final Tapes and we had 2 judges cry during finals. The kids are so excited that we are fully into marching Band. Here are my predictions for this upcoming show, super sad that Tomball Memorial isn't showing up because I knew from the beginning that they were going to be extremely competitive and a dark horse for the Houston Area.

As far as Bridgeland, my son is really good friends with their trumpet section and a few of the boys were over my house the other night and showed me their most recent run at their post game a few nights ago.. I don't want to talk ill about any programs, especially considering the fact that we have a friendly rivalry with them.. but they are in really rough shape. It sounds like they just learned their Ballad which was confirmed by some of their members. Something I was not expecting as Bridgeland usually comes out really strong this time of year. They also told me that the members haven't been treated the best and that their rehearsals have been filled with Directors screaming at them nonstop. I truly hope that they find some mid season mojo as I respect their program and want them to do well at Grand Nats as they represent our district. More importantly, I hope the kids have a good time in the process. This is something I am very thankful with our Directors about as they bring really positive emotions of the kids regardless of the results. Hearing those boys talk about their experience at my house was very disheartening but I'm sure it will get better throughout time. I'm saying all this to defend my predictions below regarding Bridgeland. 

One last note - was anyone else shocked that Jordan didn't make finals at BOA North Houston? I got to watch them during Prelims and was thoroughly impressed.

1. Reagan

2. Cy-Fair

3. Pearland

4. CTJ 

5. Foster

6. Bridgeland

7. Clear Brook

8. Friendswood

9. Dawson

10. Klein Oak

11. Dickinson

12. Seven Lakes

Best of luck to everyone there! You will see me pushing a prop. :)

On 10/5/2024 at 6:53 AM, LeanderMomma said:

Enjoy this comp if you are lucky enough to be there live. And don’t miss the Prairie View A&M exhibition either!  If you’ve never seen an HBCU (historically black college and university) band, drop your expectations of anything you’ve ever heard before and just ENJOY!!! 🤩🤩

How was the exhibition?  Did anyone see it live?

Also, how was the little Mississippi band?  I know they got to do an exhibition in finals as the 2A champ. 

Enquiring minds wanna know!

14 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Also, how was the little Mississippi band?  I know they got to do an exhibition in finals as the 2A champ. 

I’m in one of the bands that made finals at this contest and saw the Prairie View Band live and it was SO FUN!!! I’ve never seen an announcer so hyped about the band she’s announcing and the band looked like they were having just as much fun as she was, if not more! Also THOSE DRUM MAJORS 👀…crazy moves and super duper dope 🤩

1 minute ago, youraveragebandkid said:

I’m in one of the bands that made finals at this contest and saw the Prairie View Band live and it was SO FUN!!! I’ve never seen an announcer so hyped about the band she’s announcing and the band looked like they were having just as much fun as she was, if not more! Also THOSE DRUM MAJORS 👀…crazy moves and super duper dope 🤩

Oh I am so glad you got to see them!  🤩💜💜

On 10/7/2024 at 8:51 PM, packwick said:

just wanted to say that i finally watched bridgeland's show on YT, bad angle, but i really liked the music selections, pretty interesting. u can tell the millennials and younger gens are taking over in the design process based on all the Japanese anime/video game music we're getting these day lol. like, Escaflowne music?!

i looked up their music writer (jim wunderlich) and he is actually pretty old

1 hour ago, Dciiwish said:

i looked up their music writer (jim wunderlich) and he is actually pretty old

the music arranger isn't necessarily choosing the music in the design process. but it'd be cool if he is the one who brought it up!!

On 10/10/2024 at 7:26 AM, LeanderMomma said:

West Harrison was great.  Show was called survivor and they did a clashing uniform to matching uniform transformation through the show.  They played nicely too.

We also had the pleasure of being beside their band in the lot and talked to their band director and a few of their kids.  They were awesome and really loved soaking in the tx marching band experience.  Really wish them well the rest of the year and hope they continue to come to texas comps!!!

2 hours ago, WillE-Prop said:

West Harrison was great.  Show was called survivor and they did a clashing uniform to matching uniform transformation through the show.  They played nicely too.

We also had the pleasure of being beside their band in the lot and talked to their band director and a few of their kids.  They were awesome and really loved soaking in the tx marching band experience.  Really wish them well the rest of the year and hope they continue to come to texas comps!!!

That’s awesome!  Thank you so much for responding!