2024 BOA Webster (South Houston - Oct. 5)

19 minutes ago, Oboeish20 said:

I have seen Pearland, They’re playing all of The Pines of Rome.

The show is a general effect beast and will be their best one yet. I expect them to win here and make top half in San Antonio.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see that. Pines of Rome is one of my favorite pieces, and Pearland is the perfect band to play it. They'll blow the roof off and look great doing it.

2 hours ago, tubapop said:

CyFair beating Pearland. Possible, but quite unlikely.

Look up 2022 and 2023.

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

It happened last year in finals!

Granted, I have no idea how Pearland looks this season. I can confirm that Cy-Fair is at least around as good as last year, maybe even a little better.

Yeah and in 2022 also.  Pearland is always a beast at the end of the year.   No slight to them at all, they are really pushing for top 7 and I am excited for any Houston area band to join the Woodlands in representing at the top.

Bridgeland looks great again! The weapon line is perhaps slightly weaker in execution, but overall the visual performance seems pretty on par with last season. I could see them contending for the visual caption at this contest, at least from an upstairs perspective -- with the caveat that musicality is part of that caption, and without sound that's impossible to judge. I still think they could branch out a bit in terms of the theming -- could be a little less conventional -- but they've got the rest mostly down.

Pearland definitely seems like they could have a beast of a show this year, visually. There's a fair amount of dirt right now, but this seems like a more complex package than last season -- more layered, more detailed, maybe less symmetric, just overall more interesting, too. Yes, there are still some recycled Cartwrightisms, with the flags and the capes, the overall theatrical feel of it. Probably there will be another duet choreographed between the band guy and the guard girl in the black cloak, who do the slow, processional walk forward. But the look is at least a little less stale, a little more stripped down for now, without dozens of the same set piece cluttering the field. (Perhaps those will come later?) Anyway, definitely one to look out for both here and late season, as long as the music matches it.

Actually, Pearland's show has me wondering: when was the last time Houston produced more than one band in the top half at BOA San Antonio finals? I thought it was 2003 at first, with Westfield, Stephen F. Austin, and The Woodlands, but it actually happened a few times after that, the last time being 2010, with Spring joining TWHS. So, 14 years ago. That's quite a dry spell!

But I think there's a chance this year. The Woodlands looks and sounds stellar throughout most of their full opener, like they'll contend for the title again. Meanwhile, Pearland is giving me even stronger vibes than last year. Of course, this year's BOA SA contest is beyond stacked, so it will be difficult.

11 hours ago, Rubisco said:

But the look is at least a little less stale, a little more stripped down for now, without dozens of the same set piece cluttering the field. (Perhaps those will come later?) Anyway, definitely one to look out for both here and late season, as long as the music matches it.

I was thinking they might add 24 Roman columns. Quite a few bands in the Houston area have had those in the past few years so it shouldn’t be too hard to scrounge some up!