2024 BOA Webster (South Houston - Oct. 5)

2 hours ago, Cy-FairDad said:

Super happy with our performance this Saturday. Especially after all the hours us Band Dads and Moms spent on those props. Shout out to all the old Band Dads and Moms like me! Thank you everyone for such kind commends regarding our program here at Cy-Fair. I can't reveal too much but we have big things coming up that we have yet to reveal! Our Band Directors shared with us some of the Final Tapes and we had 2 judges cry during finals. The kids are so excited that we are fully into marching Band. Here are my predictions for this upcoming show, super sad that Tomball Memorial isn't showing up because I knew from the beginning that they were going to be extremely competitive and a dark horse for the Houston Area.

As far as Bridgeland, my son is really good friends with their trumpet section and a few of the boys were over my house the other night and showed me their most recent run at their post game a few nights ago.. I don't want to talk ill about any programs, especially considering the fact that we have a friendly rivalry with them.. but they are in really rough shape. It sounds like they just learned their Ballad which was confirmed by some of their members. Something I was not expecting as Bridgeland usually comes out really strong this time of year. They also told me that the members haven't been treated the best and that their rehearsals have been filled with Directors screaming at them nonstop. I truly hope that they find some mid season mojo as I respect their program and want them to do well at Grand Nats as they represent our district. More importantly, I hope the kids have a good time in the process. This is something I am very thankful with our Directors about as they bring really positive emotions of the kids regardless of the results. Hearing those boys talk about their experience at my house was very disheartening but I'm sure it will get better throughout time. I'm saying all this to defend my predictions below regarding Bridgeland. 

One last note - was anyone else shocked that Jordan didn't make finals at BOA North Houston? I got to watch them during Prelims and was thoroughly impressed.

1. Reagan

2. Cy-Fair

3. Pearland

4. CTJ 

5. Foster

6. Bridgeland

7. Clear Brook

8. Friendswood

9. Dawson

10. Klein Oak

11. Dickinson

12. Seven Lakes

Best of luck to everyone there! You will see me pushing a prop. :)

I'm a Bridgeland parent, and yeah, we are in rough shape. The drill isn't bad, but the music needs a lot of work. I think a big part of the problem is that the show is so challenging. I don't think they ever march at less than 180 bpm. As a result they have a greater number of sets to learn, a lot of choreography. In fact, I don't think we're even going to have our whole show ready for Saturday's BOA @ Webster. I absolutely love the show and I think it stacks up very well against a lot of what I saw at BOA Shenandoah this past weekend. After seeing TWHS, CyFair (no offense intended, believe me), Dawson, TMHS, etc., I still like Bridgeland's the most in terms of complexity, visual, and the unusual music. But like I said at the start of the season, the show only matters if you can execute it. We need to work on the music.

And yes, I think those trumpeters are correct, there are some morale issues among the students about various things, such as preferential treatment. I won't go into details out of respect for the directors, but it's an issue among a large segment of the members. I haven't heard anything about screaming at kids - that can be really subjective and I have a mentality that kids need to be able to deal with some adversity for the common good, but I understand not everyone agrees with me.

Either way, Saturday will be a blast, and let the chips fall where they may.

3 hours ago, Cy-FairDad said:

Super happy with our performance this Saturday. Especially after all the hours us Band Dads and Moms spent on those props. Shout out to all the old Band Dads and Moms like me! Thank you everyone for such kind commends regarding our program here at Cy-Fair. I can't reveal too much but we have big things coming up that we have yet to reveal! Our Band Directors shared with us some of the Final Tapes and we had 2 judges cry during finals. The kids are so excited that we are fully into marching Band. Here are my predictions for this upcoming show, super sad that Tomball Memorial isn't showing up because I knew from the beginning that they were going to be extremely competitive and a dark horse for the Houston Area.

As far as Bridgeland, my son is really good friends with their trumpet section and a few of the boys were over my house the other night and showed me their most recent run at their post game a few nights ago.. I don't want to talk ill about any programs, especially considering the fact that we have a friendly rivalry with them.. but they are in really rough shape. It sounds like they just learned their Ballad which was confirmed by some of their members. Something I was not expecting as Bridgeland usually comes out really strong this time of year. They also told me that the members haven't been treated the best and that their rehearsals have been filled with Directors screaming at them nonstop. I truly hope that they find some mid season mojo as I respect their program and want them to do well at Grand Nats as they represent our district. More importantly, I hope the kids have a good time in the process. This is something I am very thankful with our Directors about as they bring really positive emotions of the kids regardless of the results. Hearing those boys talk about their experience at my house was very disheartening but I'm sure it will get better throughout time. I'm saying all this to defend my predictions below regarding Bridgeland. 

One last note - was anyone else shocked that Jordan didn't make finals at BOA North Houston? I got to watch them during Prelims and was thoroughly impressed.

1. Reagan

2. Cy-Fair

3. Pearland

4. CTJ 

5. Foster

6. Bridgeland

7. Clear Brook

8. Friendswood

9. Dawson

10. Klein Oak

11. Dickinson

12. Seven Lakes

One the trumpeter was not allowed to be showing you this show and two do not say anything unless you know for sure. Yes directors may be rough on students but it is all in love for the students and their art. The BHS directors may be hard on them but there is lots of kindness from the program too. Also the directors do not scream at them at all. As someone who watches them rehearse on occasion, don't talk ill  of other bands unless you know the truth. I could come on here and say the things in know about how Cy- Fair teaches and how their program is but I don't.

4 minutes ago, 15902dci said:

One the trumpeter was not allowed to be showing you this show and two do not say anything unless you know for sure. Yes directors may be rough on students but it is all in love for the students and their art. The BHS directors may be hard on them but there is lots of kindness from the program too. Also the directors do not scream at them at all. As someone who watches them rehearse on occasion, don't talk ill  of other bands unless you know the truth. I could come on here and say the things in know about how Cy- Fair teaches and how their program is but I don't.

This seems more consistent with my experience. My daughter was telling me that the BHS directors and the band are "going soft" and that they need to be harder on the kids. LOL.

4 hours ago, Cy-FairDad said:

1. Reagan

2. Cy-Fair

3. Pearland

4. CTJ 

5. Foster

6. Bridgeland

7. Clear Brook

8. Friendswood

9. Dawson

10. Klein Oak

11. Dickinson

12. Seven Lakes

I can only laugh at this post because of how insane it is.

28 minutes ago, tubapop said:

This seems more consistent with my experience. My daughter was telling me that the BHS directors and the band are "going soft" and that they need to be harder on the kids. LOL.

Knowing how it was back in my day, and also knowing how it was just 10-15 years ago when my nieces and nephews marched, it's definitely way softer in how they are treated and talked to. 🙂  Not saying it's wrong, but Directors are walking on egg shells on what they can say as all it takes is one kid and set of parents to get mad and raise heck with the district.

Either way and regardless of what may or may not be true., good luck to all bands this coming weekend.  Excited to see some new shows and see how some of the ones who performed this weekend build on it.

Also remember that less than 1% of each bands parents/students are represented on this forum, so nobody should ever take what one or two or three or etc. parents/members say and use it as a reflection of the band or program.   I was part of a band that was at the North Houston BOA and we had amazing discussions with so many parents/volunteers from so many bands.  Not one bad experience or bad vibe at all.  Let's keep it that way!

I really don’t know what to think after Conroe. I think I don’t see/hear everything the people in the box do.

1. Ronald Reagan (Vis,GE)

2. Pearland 

3. Cy-Fair (Mus)

4. Bridgeland 

5. Seven Lakes

6. CTJ

7. Clear Brook

8. Klein Oak

9. Dawson

10. Foster

11. Dickinson

12. Friendswood

—————————

13. Churchill Fulshear (Again)

3 hours ago, Bill_Hou said:

I don't think any band will have their whole show on the field this coming weekend.  Even those who may put what they think are all the movements will have drastic changes before the UIL/BOA SA/GN competitions.  I almost love that part of this more in seeing how the shows evolve over the month and how much different than are from when we first saw them!

P.S.  it's easier to edit down complexity than to add, so from what you describe, your band will be in good shape as the month progresses.

Agreed! Most of the bands are behind because of the heat related regulations and missed out on valuable outside drill time. Some of the bands who normally have their entire show down are still learning drill this week. It will be interesting to see how everyone does this weekend. I think we are definitely in for some surprises. 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, LeanderMomma said:

The 2024 Webster (South Houston) Regional will be held on Oct. 5 at CCISD Challenger Columbia Stadium in Webster, TX.

Final Prelims Schedule as of 9/30/24:
8:00 - Angleton H.S., TX
8:15 - Klein Cain H.S., TX
8:30 - Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
8:45 - Cypress Park H.S., TX

BREAK

9:15 - Brazoswood H.S., TX
9:30 - Shadow Creek H.S., TX
9:45 - Clear Brook H.S., TX
10:00 - Pearland H.S., TX
10:15 - Foster H.S., TX
10:30 - Klein Oak H.S., TX
10:45 - Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
11:00 - James E. Taylor H.S., TX

BREAK

12:00 - Grand Oaks H.S., TX
12:15 - Ridge Point H.S., TX
12:30 - Langham Creek H.S., TX
12:45 - George Ranch H.S., TX
1:00 - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
1:15 - West Harrison H.S., MS
1:30 - Clear Springs H.S., TX
1:45 - Friendswood H.S., TX

BREAK

2:15 - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
2:30 - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
2:45 - Dickinson H.S., TX
3:00 - Seven Lakes H.S., TX
3:15 - Clear Lake H.S., TX
3:30 - Dawson H.S., TX
3:45 - Cy-Fair H.S., TX
4:00 - Bridgeland H.S., TX

4:15 - EXH. Prairie View A&M University Marching Storm

CLASS AA:
West Harrison H.S., MS

CLASS AAA:
Angleton H.S., TX
Brazoswood H.S., TX
Clear Brook H.S., TX
Clements H.S., TX
Friendswood H.S., TX

CLASS AAAA:
Bridgeland H.S., TX
Churchill Fulshear H.S., TX
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Clear Lake H.S., TX
Clear Springs H.S., TX
Cy-Fair H.S., TX
Cypress Falls H.S., TX
Cypress Park H.S., TX
Cypress Ranch H.S., TX
Dawson H.S., TX
Dickinson H.S., TX
Foster H.S., TX
George Ranch H.S., TX
Grand Oaks H.S., TX
James E. Taylor H.S., TX
Klein Cain H.S., TX
Klein Oak H.S., TX
Langham Creek H.S., TX
Pearland H.S., TX
Ridge Point H.S., TX
Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
Seven Lakes H.S., TX
Shadow Creek H.S., TX
Tomball H.S., TX

Schedule has been updated and revised one last time. 

Gosh it’s really crazy how hard getting into finals is gonna be. There are SO many amazing programs here, and the battle for the bottom 6ish will be a bloodbath. Will definitely be keeping up with this comp while I’m at Bedford. Anyways, here’s my final guess lol: 

1st. Reagan (sweep) 

2nd. Cy-Fair 

3rd. Pearland 

4th. Bridgeland 

5th. Clear Brook 

6th. CTJ 

7th. Foster 

8th . Klein Oak 

9th . Friendswood 

10th. Dawson 

11th. Seven Lakes 

12th. Dickinson 

I definitely could see and hope that Dawson jumps up, just have them here based on last weekend. Cant wait to see all the surprises that get thrown at us here!! 

23 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Gosh it’s really crazy how hard getting into finals is gonna be. There are SO many amazing programs here, and the battle for the bottom 6ish will be a bloodbath. Will definitely be keeping up with this comp while I’m at Bedford. Anyways, here’s my final guess lol: 

1st. Reagan (sweep) 

2nd. Cy-Fair 

3rd. Pearland 

4th. Bridgeland 

5th. Clear Brook 

6th. CTJ 

7th. Foster 

8th . Klein Oak 

9th . Friendswood 

10th. Dawson 

11th. Seven Lakes 

12th. Dickinson 

I definitely could see and hope that Dawson jumps up, just have them here based on last weekend. Cant wait to see all the surprises that get thrown at us here!! 

Any bubble bands that could……sneak in?

17 minutes ago, Sideswiperr said:

Brazoswood and Churchill Fulshear are my next two out, especially Fulshear after how close they were last weekend, don’t have a ton of current knowledge on most of the bands outside the top 12, but could definitely see someone surprising us fs! 

23 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

1st. Reagan (sweep) 

2nd. Cy-Fair 

3rd. Pearland 

4th. Bridgeland 

5th. Clear Brook 

6th. CTJ 

7th. Foster 

8th . Klein Oak 

9th . Friendswood 

10th. Dawson 

11th. Seven Lakes 

12th. Dickinson 

6 hours ago, plyrrr said:

Any thoughts on Cy-Ranch & Cy-Park? I would love to see one of these two surprise at finals.

Ranch could do it, I think they'll place high at least. Park seems like a stretch (no offense)

13 hours ago, FwefewF said:

Ranch could do it, I think they'll place high at least. Park seems like a stretch (no offense)

if you think cy ranch has the potential to maybe make finals do you think schools like langham creek could also possibly do it?

Alright, it’s the eve of the contest, here we go:

1st.   Bridgeland (bold, but I think the show is unmatched among all I’ve seen this year…will come down to execution)

2nd. Reagan (lot of respect, but the drill doesn’t seem particularly difficult. They sound amazing though.  Let’s see)

3rd. Cy-Fair 

4th. Pearland (I didn’t like the show compared to last year’s - but haven’t seen anything in the past week or two)

5th. Clear Brook 

6th. Foster (really impressed with their show this year)

7th. CTJ (all great bands rise and fall, usually with arrival and departure of directors, unfortunately I think that’s what we’re seeing here)

8th . Seven Lakes (haven’t seen the show, purely based on rep)

9th . Dawson (probably underrated)

10th. Friendswood

11th. West Harrison

12th. Langham Creek (i attended LCHS back in their glory days, would love to see them return) / Dickinson