2024 BOA Shenandoah (Sept. 28)

I didn't think Cinco Ranch was all that bad. The soloists were a bit off, such as the unfortunate trumpeter who shook his head at his own performance just as the camera panned over to him. I didn't really get the theme - lemon? I'm not sure what that is. But generally, they sounded good, much of the marching was crisp, and the salsa movement was fun and creative (not sure it was salsa, but that's what I choose to call it).

3 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Your not alone. They haven't missed finals at a regional comp/ not SR or State since 2018. 

How. How did this happen. I recognize no mistake that we made in prelims that we didnt recover from that would’ve kept us out of finals. And as a soloist that was likely my best performance run yet. How.

The Woodlands!!! Amazing musicality, great solos. The drill wasn't overly interesting but they marched it to perfection, moved as a single unit even with those two-tone pants that would highlight any screw ups. And this is in September. They'll be a monster in a few weeks.

32 minutes ago, ruben_f said:

Finals Results

84.200 – The Woodlands H.S., TX
83.200 – Cy-Fair H.S., TX
81.400 – College Park H.S., TX
79.975 – Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
78.950 – Tomball Memorial H.S., TX
78.100 – Clear Brook H.S., TX
77.050 – Foster H.S., TX
76.650 – Klein Oak H.S., TX
75.750 – Friendswood H.S., TX
75.350 – Cinco Ranch H.S., TX
75.100 – Dawson H.S., TX
73.700 – North Shore Senior H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance – The Woodlands H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance – The Woodlands H.S., TX
Outstanding General Effect – The Woodlands H.S., TX

ooof. well based on what i saw coming into the contest, Dawson in 11th is a surprise, thinking they must have been quite different at this contest. buuut i will say the collective judges' rankings of the 9 bands i saw live is literally perfect, exactly how i would have ranked them. 

haven't looked at recaps. thinking cyfair may have taken a couple judges from woodlands to only be a point off the top. pleasantly surprised to see tw crack 84. i was thinking 82 or 83. their scores are in line w/ last yr, despite clearly being behind schedule. will be eeeenteresting to see their show develop.

34 minutes ago, packwick said:

haven't looked at recaps. thinking cyfair may have taken a couple judges from woodlands to only be a point off the top. pleasantly surprised to see tw crack 84. i was thinking 82 or 83. their scores are in line w/ last yr, despite clearly being behind schedule. will be eeeenteresting to see their show develop.

The Woodlands lost 1 judge in each round, if I didn't miss someone. It was the same judge both rounds. TWHS won prelims by about 2 1/2 points. But maybe somewhat surprisingly got 3rd in music ensemble in that round! 👀 They created most (?) of the gap via music effect. It's that ballad, I'm telling you!

I, too, am surprised by Dawson's placement, but I've been around long enough to know A.) Early results aren't always or even often all that indicative of late season results, and B.) BOA's approach to judging music performance will always cause confusion in Texas. 😂

14 hours ago, jetliner said:

Dawson's definitely on track for a great showing at UIL though

i hope so!!! i think i said somewhere that they sounded like they'd do well on the old UIL system. w/ the new one, they seem to hire more BOA-type judges at the state level. ofc the sheets are different, but they still bring some of the same perspective w/ them.

1 hour ago, 11BandMan11 said:

This was a wonderful contest top to bottom! I get it to one degree, but I also don't get people being so upset when one group makes finals and the immediate vitriol and hate towards that group and the judges.

These are KIDS who are working their butts off to potentially earn the ability to perform again in finals throughout the day. Go be haters somewhere else. ✌️

In any event, massive kudos and props to all the groups throughout the day! This was one of the better top to bottom Houston BOA contests in a minute with the performances from everyone. Can't wait to see all the groups in a couple weeks at the next contests! 

100%

21 minutes ago, packwick said:

personally i would have preferred more immediate praise for Cinco after they made finals as opposed to the wtfs, but even the ppl expressing surprise and saying they wanted Wylie E didn't really come across as haters to me. they just had a different opinion. when i think of hater i think more like the jealous ppl who pile on the Blue Devils every yr and say they're overrated or formulaic or whatever, the same ppl who refuse to clap for them.

agreed!