20 minutes ago, Clamp said:

So would you rather be first in finals or last

That Depends on the time you perform in prelims, I’d rather be first in finals, just generally no matter the time you perform. it would suck if you were 1st in prelims, and last in finals. Though if you’re gonna be last in finals, you need to bring it to really make an impression. I’d say being one of the later groups past 3/4pm would be your ideal prelims slot if you’re gonna be last to perform in finals, but if youre prelims slot is after 1pm, while it may not be as good as a 3/4pm prelims slot, it’s better than having to perform in prelims at 3AM or something, 10AM, 9AM etc.

12 minutes ago, Sideswiperr said:

That Depends on the time you perform in prelims, I’d rather be first in finals, just generally no matter the time you perform. it would suck if you were 1st in prelims, and last in finals. Though if you’re gonna be last in finals, you need to bring it to really make an impression. I’d say being one of the later groups past 3/4pm would be your ideal prelims slot if you’re gonna be last to perform in finals, but if youre prelims slot is after 1pm, while it may not be as good as a 3/4pm prelims slot, it’s better than having to perform in prelims at 3AM or something, 10AM, 9AM etc.

Cy fair did that last year

12 hours ago, ruben_f said:

draw order just dropped 

7L will be the first band to perform in prelims

IMG_6580.jpeg

I believe they also are implementing the top half bottom half for area finals this year.  It was proposed and the notes say it was recommended for implementation in Fall 2024.  Does anyone have final verification that this will indeed happen?

1 hour ago, ruben_f said:

Interesting 

So this year, no more of “if we hear another band at 8:30, instead of our name, we didn’t make finals”, it would suck to know you didn’t make finals before finals results were even over, whereas with this you’ll know if you made finals and whether you’re in the bottom/top half of prelims, or you’ll get a pleasant surprise if you aren’t the first five bands to perform, but instead the last 5(top five), looking at you Jordan! But you get the point.

16 hours ago, TruthMatters said:

I believe they also are implementing the top half bottom half for area finals this year.  It was proposed and the notes say it was recommended for implementation in Fall 2024.  Does anyone have final verification that this will indeed happen?

Can you explain what this means, please?

36 minutes ago, tubapop said:

Think of BOA top 6/bottom 6, there’s random draw of course, but each finalist in each group draws for each time in either the lower half, or the top half. Same thing for area finals but the bands will know when they perform, and they’ll know if they got top or bottom half. So for example, Bridgeland is going to be top half.

•  

13 hours ago, tubapop said:

It is the BOA model.  So to expand what Sideswipper said. Basicallly the random draw shared above is still relevant, but also depends on if you finished in the 1 to 5 position in prelims or the 6 to 10 position.  

The top 5 would use their order in the draw to set their finals performance time but are guaranteed one of the last 5 performance slots.  The bottom 5 would perform in the first 5 performance slots but the draw would determine what order in that that they perform.

Edit:  along with helping ensure the top prelims bands perform in the later slots this now tells the public who the top 5/6 prelims bands were.  The directors always knew, but now most of the general public will have an idea.  

Hope that helps.

A bit frustrated by the top-half/bottom-half split for finals. It’s quite likely that there are 5 state advancement spots per usual for this area, and a top-half/bottom-half split would ensure that those 5 bands go last. If it’s anything like BOA, making the jump to top-half is incredibly difficult and rarely happens. Seems that prelims will be incredibly instrumental in deciding who goes to state now.

24 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

A bit frustrated by the top-half/bottom-half split for finals. It’s quite likely that there are 5 state advancement spots per usual for this area, and a top-half/bottom-half split would ensure that those 5 bands go last. If it’s anything like BOA, making the jump to top-half is incredibly difficult and rarely happens. Seems that prelims will be incredibly instrumental in deciding who goes to state now.

It works well for BOA, but like you mentioned there is always the viewpoint that jumping from 7th to top 3 or 4 (or 5th) never happens.  I think we would have to look at the recent state competition placements to see if UIL is any differemt.  Has any bottom half state finals band jumped 3 or 4 slots in finals or did they kind of stay within 1 or 2 slots of their prelims positioning.

Again, I dont have 100% confirmation that top half / bottom half is happening.  The minutes posted from May suggested it was approved for 2024 implementation but thats the last I have seen publicly posted on it.

15 minutes ago, TruthMatters said:

It works well for BOA, but like you mentioned there is always the viewpoint that jumping from 7th to top 3 or 4 (or 5th) never happens.  I think we would have to look at the recent state competition placements to see if UIL is any differemt.  Has any bottom half state finals band jumped 3 or 4 slots in finals or did they kind of stay within 1 or 2 slots of their prelims positioning.

Again, I dont have 100% confirmation that top half / bottom half is happening.  The minutes posted from May suggested it was approved for 2024 implementation but thats the last I have seen publicly posted on it.

I thought I remembered Marcus doing this one year when I was poring over smbc archives but I could be wrong. 

Edit: yes, Marcus did it in 2021. From 7 to 3. But you could argue that Marcus isn’t exactly a stranger to top half placements and that an up and coming band might not have the same ability to jump. And perhaps the low prelims placement in 2021 was due to some fluke, so it’s possibly not a good example of a band’s ability to jump. 

On 9/24/2024 at 2:20 PM, LKendrick said:

Saw a Cypress Woods video.  They sound GOOD.  

I like their show concept this year. I saw a video and the music and drill seem pretty basic compared to other shows, but it is really good.

On 9/21/2024 at 5:26 PM, Clamp said:

Any updated predictions? 

It's going to be a toss up with bridgeland and cy fair. I know cy fair is having some financial stuff I'm pretty sure, but they always seem to do really good. Cannot wait to see how it ends up considering bridgeland is the reigning area champ.

My predictions are as follows 

1. Bridgeland (obv)

2. Jordan 

3. Cy-fair

4. Cypress Woods 

5. Tompkins

6. Seven Lakes

7. JET

8. Cypress Ranch

9. Paetow

10. Katy 

From what I have seen Paetow seems to have a stronger show this year compared to other years. Jordan has good and clean bass sections as normal, Even this early, but also has a lot more choro and a bit easier drill. Last year they were not as clean due to the nature of their drill but they have seemed to be marching easier drill this year. I feel like they could get really clean and have a shot at the state finals.  

23 minutes ago, bassboneman said:

My predictions are as follows 

1. Bridgeland (obv)

2. Jordan 

3. Cy-fair

4. Cypress Woods 

5. Tompkins

6. Seven Lakes

7. JET

8. Cypress Ranch

9. Paetow

10. Katy 

From what I have seen Paetow seems to have a stronger show this year compared to other years. Jordan has good and clean bass sections as normal, Even this early, but also has a lot more choro and a bit easier drill. Last year they were not as clean due to the nature of their drill but they have seemed to be marching easier drill this year. I feel like they could get really clean and have a shot at the state finals.  

Tbh, I can see Jordan wining music caption this year.

1 hour ago, cyparkbandparent said:

1. Bridgeland

2. Jordan

3. Cy-fair

4. Tompkins

5. Cy-woods

6. Seven Lakes

7. JET

8. Cy-Ranch/Langham Creek

9. Cy-Ranch/Langham Creek

10. Cy-Park/Paetow

Overall huge improvements in the area, Langham Creek, Paetow, and Cypress Park,I have watched at football games and they have neat drill, clean sounds and cool choreo. I think these three are gonna be new area finalist in the coming years.

Jordan has also improved quite a bit... I am very excited to watch all bands this year! 

On 9/26/2024 at 5:21 AM, TruthMatters said:

It is the BOA model.  So to expand what Sideswipper said. Basicallly the random draw shared above is still relevant, but also depends on if you finished in the 1 to 5 position in prelims or the 6 to 10 position.  

The top 5 would use their order in the draw to set their finals performance time but are guaranteed one of the last 5 performance slots.  The bottom 5 would perform in the first 5 performance slots but the draw would determine what order in that that they perform.

Edit:  along with helping ensure the top prelims bands perform in the later slots this now tells the public who the top 5/6 prelims bands were.  The directors always knew, but now most of the general public will have an idea.  

Hope that helps.

Are all Areas implementing this or just this area?