1 minute ago, Clamp said:

Let’s talk about the fact that cinco ranch beat Tompkins and Jordan at boa

we should tbh 

I think it was a shock for everyone that they made finals in BOA!! 

Could this change our predictions? maybe? 

39 minutes ago, ruben_f said:

we should tbh 

I think it was a shock for everyone that they made finals in BOA!! 

Could this change our predictions? maybe? 

It does for sure, my only thing is, this is early season BOA, if we look at some results from 2022, at BOA Katy Tompkins/Cypress Ranch beat cinco Ranch and Katy, at Area this flipped, Cy-Woods wasn’t that close to Cy fair at that comp in terms of placement Either, then at UIL state Woods was 18th, and Cy-Fair 30th. And I’m fairly confident Woods was ahead of Cy-Fair at SA that year, So all in all, what I’m saying is I don’t think super early BOA early season results are the best indicators for later season results like area and then on when things will be a bit more intense, or even in the comps. we have this Saturday when marching season really REALLY begins.

1 hour ago, kodml000 said:

while i agree with you to a point, cy fair had a notoriously bad run at state so it's not fair to compare those placements. i'm in belief that cinco is in REALLY good shape right now and we shouldn't count them out just because it could "change later on." people seem pretty quick to assume that jordan is going to make state finals this year so why can't we say that cinco is seemingly pretty ahead rn? 😁

Yeah that’s trueeeeeee, I’m biased so don’t take my word LOL

6 hours ago, Sideswiperr said:

It does for sure, my only thing is, this is early season BOA, if we look at some results from 2022, at BOA Katy Tompkins/Cypress Ranch beat cinco Ranch and Katy, at Area this flipped, Cy-Woods wasn’t that close to Cy fair at that comp in terms of placement Either, then at UIL state Woods was 18th, and Cy-Fair 30th. And I’m fairly confident Woods was ahead of Cy-Fair at SA that year, So all in all, what I’m saying is I don’t think super early BOA early season results are the best indicators for later season results like area and then on when things will be a bit more intense, or even in the comps. we have this Saturday when marching season really REALLY begins.

For sure! I'm really curious to see what happens in a couple of weeks when the Katy groups go head to head against each other at the Katy Marching Festival. With a couple more weeks of cleaning and improving shows, it'll be really interesting to see how everything shakes out when they are all seen by the same judging panel throughout the day. 

I still think the top 3 in the Area are still locked in place unless something absolutely catastrophic occurs during their performance, but the BOA results does make things much more interesting for the groups who are in that massively changing 4-7 placements. Feels very much like finals will be a locked 1-3, flip flop changing 4 - 7, and flip flop changing bubble groups 8 - 10. 

So here is where things get really interesting with results from this weekend of the 3 Katy schools in contention. GE is (as far as I know) not judged at area in really any capacity. So a better way to look at the Conroe results for Area predictions could be through the performance captions. I'm also of the belief that things shake out more accurately as far as numbers go for finals judging. (smaller group to compare and you're comparing at more of the same echelon) Therefor I'll include rankings taking both Cinco's prelims and finals #'s.

Music Ind: 1. Tompkins, 2. Jordan, 3. Cinco Ranch (prelims) 4. Cinco Ranch (Finals)

Music Ens: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Cinco (finals) 3. Jordan 4. Tompkins

Music overall: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Jordan 3. Cinco (finals) 4. Tompkins

Ind Vis: 1. Tompkins 2. Jordan 3. Cinco (prelims) 4. Cinco (finals)

Ens Vis: 1. Cinco (finals) 2. Jordan 3. Cinco (Prelims) 4. Tompkins

Vis total: 1. Cinco (finals) 2. Jordan 3. Tompkins 4. Cinco (prelims)

This gives us a really cool idea of what's going on between the three schools. To me, it looks like they're relatively evenly matched in performance captions (at least right now). One exception is Cinco's very high prelims ensemble music score. (something the ordinals below don't readily account for)

And hypothetically, if the performance captions were measured with ordinals*:

Tompkins: 17 

Jordan: 13

Cinco (Prelims): 15

Cinco (Finals): 15

Throw in the GE captions**: 

Mus GE 1: 1. Cinco (Prelims) 2. Jordan 3. (tie) Tompkins & Cinco (Finals) 
Mus GE 2: 1. Cinco (finals) 2. Cinco (prelims) 3. Jordan 4. Tompkins 

total mus GE: 1. Cinco (Finals) 2. Cinco (Prelims) 3. Jordan 4. Tompkins

Vis GE: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Tompkins 3. Cinco (finals) 4. Jordan

Total GE: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Cinco (finals) 3. Tompkins 4. Jordan 

It's clear Cinco DOMINATED the General Effect caption with the panel this weekend amongst the other Katy schools AND kept up with them in the performance captions. I think this bodes well for their future! 

I am really excited to see how this fluctuates in the next coming weeks. 

*One limitation of using ordinals is that it equates the differences between two consecutive bands to 1.0. I used ordinals because as far as I know, that's how Area will be judged. 

**GE captions are notoriously subjective. This component of judging often leads to the most contrasting opinions on individual bands in both the judges and the audience. 

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

It's clear Cinco DOMINATED the General Effect caption with the panel this weekend amongst the other Katy schools AND kept up with them in the performance captions. I think this bodes well for their future! 

*One limitation of using ordinals is that it equates the differences between two consecutive bands to 1.0. I used ordinals because as far as I know, that's how Area will be judged. 

**GE captions are notoriously subjective. This component of judging often leads to the most contrasting opinions on individual bands in both the judges and the audience. 

Wow--this was so in depth! Thank you so much for sharing. I think Saturday proved that Katy ISD is no longer dominated entirely by 7L. Tompkins, Jordan, and Cinco Ranch all looked incredible in prelims. In fact, I had all three in finals based on their prelims runs. It will be interesting to see if Jordan or Cinco Ranch could make it to state this year and snap 7L's state appearance streak. To me, 3rd place is wide open for whoever wants it most. My gut says Jordan--that prelims run on Saturday was no joke! Glad to see other people were shocked by their omission in finals. 

All of this to say, I don't know that this contest is always a great indicator for placements at Area. In fact, placements shift on average +/- 1 spot between contests. This list takes into account only participants of both contests in the same year (ie. Bridgeland did not attend Conroe last year, so they're not accounted in the ranking for 2023 Area I even though they were the 'real' 1st place)

See below:

2023 Conroe placements:                                                  

1. Cy Fair                                                                           

2. Cy Woods                                       

3. 7L

4. Tompkins

5. Jordan

6. JET

7. Cy Ranch

2023 Area I:

1. Cy Fair  NC

2. Tompkins  +2

3. Cy Woods  -1

4. 7L  -1

5. Jordan NC

6. JET NC

7. Cy Ranch NC

2022 Conroe:

1. Bridgeland

2. Cy Fair

3. Jordan

4. Tompkins

5. JET

6. Cy Falls

2022 Area I: 

1. Cy Fair +1

2. Bridgeland -1

3. JET +2

4. Tompkins NC

5. Jordan -2

6. Cy Falls NC

2021 Conroe:

1. Cy Woods 

2. 7L

3. JET

4. Cy Fair

5. Bridgeland

2021 Area I:

1. Bridgeland +4

2. Cy Woods -1

3. 7L -1

4. JET -1

5. Cy Fair -1

11 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

All of this to say, I don't know that this contest is always a great indicator for placements at Area. In fact, placements shift on average +/- 1 spot between contests. This list takes into account only participants of both contests in the same year (ie. Bridgeland did not attend Conroe last year, so they're not accounted in the ranking for 2023 Area I even though they were the 'real' 1st place)

See below:

2023 Conroe placements:                                                  

1. Cy Fair                                                                           

2. Cy Woods                                       

3. 7L

4. Tompkins

5. Jordan

6. JET

7. Cy Ranch

2023 Area I:

1. Cy Fair  NC

2. Tompkins  +2

3. Cy Woods  -1

4. 7L  -1

5. Jordan NC

6. JET NC

7. Cy Ranch NC

2022 Conroe:

1. Bridgeland

2. Cy Fair

3. Jordan

4. Tompkins

5. JET

6. Cy Falls

2022 Area I: 

1. Cy Fair +1

2. Bridgeland -1

3. JET +2

4. Tompkins NC

5. Jordan -2

6. Cy Falls NC

2021 Conroe:

1. Cy Woods 

2. 7L

3. JET

4. Cy Fair

5. Bridgeland

2021 Area I:

1. Bridgeland +4

2. Cy Woods -1

3. 7L -1

4. JET -1

5. Cy Fair -1

I need to see some groups like JET, Bridgeland, Cypress Ranch, Cypress Park Langham Creek, Cypress Falls, Cy-Fair, Seven Lakes, at Webster on Saturday, really interested in how we can compare some of these groups given how close in skill they are to one another, ex: Bridgeland and Cy-Fairand Seven Lakes, Langham Creek And Cy-Ranch and JET, Park/cy-falls.

6 hours ago, 121311313 said:

has anybody here seen Langham Creeks show? If you have did it seem good, i'm having trouble with them in my predictions

It was actually pretty good. Nothing too complex, but they performed it well - certainly a step up from last year. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherRoden said:

I saw a clip a few weeks ago and yeah I was really pretty impressed! 

1 hour ago, tubapop said:

It was actually pretty good. Nothing too complex, but they performed it well - certainly a step up from last year. 

What place do you see this years show pushing them up too??

10 hours ago, Clamp said:

What place do you see this years show pushing them up too??

That’s really tough to say as I haven’t been able to see all of the top 15ish shows for this area. Plus, when I did see them it was veryyyy early season. Would love for them to be back in finals though! 

19 hours ago, ChristopherRoden said:

So here is where things get really interesting with results from this weekend of the 3 Katy schools in contention. GE is (as far as I know) not judged at area in really any capacity. So a better way to look at the Conroe results for Area predictions could be through the performance captions. I'm also of the belief that things shake out more accurately as far as numbers go for finals judging. (smaller group to compare and you're comparing at more of the same echelon) Therefor I'll include rankings taking both Cinco's prelims and finals #'s.

Music Ind: 1. Tompkins, 2. Jordan, 3. Cinco Ranch (prelims) 4. Cinco Ranch (Finals)

Music Ens: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Cinco (finals) 3. Jordan 4. Tompkins

Music overall: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Jordan 3. Cinco (finals) 4. Tompkins

Ind Vis: 1. Tompkins 2. Jordan 3. Cinco (prelims) 4. Cinco (finals)

Ens Vis: 1. Cinco (finals) 2. Jordan 3. Cinco (Prelims) 4. Tompkins

Vis total: 1. Cinco (finals) 2. Jordan 3. Tompkins 4. Cinco (prelims)

This gives us a really cool idea of what's going on between the three schools. To me, it looks like they're relatively evenly matched in performance captions (at least right now). One exception is Cinco's very high prelims ensemble music score. (something the ordinals below don't readily account for)

And hypothetically, if the performance captions were measured with ordinals*:

Tompkins: 17 

Jordan: 13

Cinco (Prelims): 15

Cinco (Finals): 15

Throw in the GE captions**: 

Mus GE 1: 1. Cinco (Prelims) 2. Jordan 3. (tie) Tompkins & Cinco (Finals) 
Mus GE 2: 1. Cinco (finals) 2. Cinco (prelims) 3. Jordan 4. Tompkins 

total mus GE: 1. Cinco (Finals) 2. Cinco (Prelims) 3. Jordan 4. Tompkins

Vis GE: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Tompkins 3. Cinco (finals) 4. Jordan

Total GE: 1. Cinco (prelims) 2. Cinco (finals) 3. Tompkins 4. Jordan 

They judge “content” for each category which is basically GE, but it doesn’t play nearly as big a role as it does in BOAs system.

4 hours ago, skibidiwarrior said:

They judge “content” for each category which is basically GE, but it doesn’t play nearly as big a role as it does in BOAs system.

I believe it takes the least points out of 150.

speaking of finals, I’d like to get to make an analysis of who’s fighting to stay in finals, and who’s going to finals!!

1 hour ago, Sideswiperr said:

who’s fighting to stay in finals, and who’s going to finals!!

that the hard part 

Bridgeland, Cy Woods , Cy-fair, 7L , Jordan , Tompkins , JET , and  cinco ranch are probably “locked in” for finals 

Then we have the bubble of unknown 

Cy Ranch , Cy Park ,Paetow , Katy , Langham Creek , Jersey Village