On 7/27/2024 at 12:45 AM, 11BandMan11 said:

The head director at Freeman was one of the directors at Cinco, and now Cinco has a new design team apparently?

That correct! Rory Davis, the former director of Cinco, has moved to Freeman HS. He is assisted by a former junior high band director (I’m pretty sure). I can’t confirm on the new design team at Cinco

Good luck to this brand new school! 🍀

1 hour ago, Clamp said:

Anyone got any predictions?

1. Bridgeland 

2. Cy-Fair

3. Seven Lakes 

4. Cy-Woods 

5. Jordan 

6. Seven Lakes 

7. Tompkins 

8. Katy/Cy-Ranch 

9. Cy-Ranch/Langham Creek 

10. Langham Creek/Cinco Ranch 

Im not sure about yall but im just not really feeling cincos design this year lol 

15 hours ago, Clamp said:

Anyone got any predictions?

here my very early predictions most of these have no order 

1. Bridgeland 

2. Cy-Fair

3. Cy-Woods 

4-6. Seven Lakes, Jordan, Tompkins - no order

7-10. possible bands Katy, JET, Cy-Ranch, Langham Creek, Cinco Ranch, possibility Paetow? - still no order 

11 hours ago, TooInconsistent said:

We did get a new drill/show designer this year.

Cool! I just found out that Jordan has a new music arranger for their 2024 season!

On 1/14/2024 at 3:27 PM, Sideswiperr said:

I’ve also heard that they will soon be building a new school in Fairfield near Cypress to relieve Bridgeland and Cypress Ranch/Woods?

The school district has property for it in Dunham Pointe (other side of 290 from Fairfield), but there are no current plans or timelines. One report said the earliest it would open is 2027 or 2028 -- but there hasn't been a bond election to pay for the school yet. 

On 8/1/2024 at 9:47 AM, AWF2014 said:

I believe that school is due to open in the Fairfield area of Cypress in 2030.

It's in Dunham Pointe, new neighborhood on the other side of 290 from Fairfield. No bond election yet to even pay for it.  

4 hours ago, Clamp said:

Did anyone manage to get a recording of bridgelands show.

Bridgeland: 
There was a video online of it for a hot second....then it got pulled down 🫠 Their percussion section posted on their instagram story there was a short video of them running a show segment and GOOD LORD can those kids play!!! 

That percussion section is an absolute FORCE to be reckoned with this fall! 

Jordan:
Same thing with their percussion section running show segments that was posted, you could their props at the back of the band hall too! Looked like giant (8ish feet tall would be my guess) tridents and A LOT of them in the back of their band hall. I would LOVE to see them shake things up with the state qualifiers! 
Haven't seen or heard anything from their bands social media or seen anything posted of show segments, clips, etc. 

Cinco: 
Heard that they were off to a solid start with their music from what I gathered talking with another parent who has a kid in the program. Kids are playing well, and starting to learn drill, just a little weird vibe with the kids getting into the whole lemons concept I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Paetow:  
They are PUSHING to break into finals this year!!!  Apparently got complaints to the school for loud noise too early when they were rehearsing outside and cranking!?!? 🤣 Gotta do what you gotta do with the heat in the afternoons! Same as Jordan with breaking into state, I would LOVE to see them break into area finals and bring some new blood into the mix! 

Katy: 
They have a freaking BADASS music book this year and a MONSTER trombone section! There was a clip posted the other day running through a show segment and it sounds really freaking cool - I would not be surprised AT ALL if they surprise people this year and move up spots from last year!

I'm going to keep trolling social media🤣, seems to be the only way to find early season recordings and sounds these days, to try and find more rehearsal clips, performances, recordings etc. 

Hope everyones off to a great start and cant wait to see the first football game and contest performances coming up in the next month! 

4 hours ago, 11BandMan11 said:

Bridgeland: 
There was a video online of it for a hot second....then it got pulled down 🫠 Their percussion section posted on their instagram story there was a short video of them running a show segment and GOOD LORD can those kids play!!! 

That percussion section is an absolute FORCE to be reckoned with this fall! 

Jordan:
Same thing with their percussion section running show segments that was posted, you could their props at the back of the band hall too! Looked like giant (8ish feet tall would be my guess) tridents and A LOT of them in the back of their band hall. I would LOVE to see them shake things up with the state qualifiers! 
Haven't seen or heard anything from their bands social media or seen anything posted of show segments, clips, etc. 

Cinco: 
Heard that they were off to a solid start with their music from what I gathered talking with another parent who has a kid in the program. Kids are playing well, and starting to learn drill, just a little weird vibe with the kids getting into the whole lemons concept I guess? 🤷‍♂️

Paetow:  
They are PUSHING to break into finals this year!!!  Apparently got complaints to the school for loud noise too early when they were rehearsing outside and cranking!?!? 🤣 Gotta do what you gotta do with the heat in the afternoons! Same as Jordan with breaking into state, I would LOVE to see them break into area finals and bring some new blood into the mix! 

Katy: 
They have a freaking BADASS music book this year and a MONSTER trombone section! There was a clip posted the other day running through a show segment and it sounds really freaking cool - I would not be surprised AT ALL if they surprise people this year and move up spots from last year!

I'm going to keep trolling social media🤣, seems to be the only way to find early season recordings and sounds these days, to try and find more rehearsal clips, performances, recordings etc. 

Hope everyone’s off to a great start and cant wait to see the first football game and contest performances coming up in the next month! 

I can’t lie, everyone in this area is stepping it UP! Even some of our lower ranked bands over at Cypress Ridge has some pretty cool show music?!?! Hope some day we get to have 12 finalists in this area, there are too many bands in this area that sound/look like an area finalist to not be one!! Let this area keep going the way it’s going and it’s going to be full of “heavy hitters” given a few years time.

9 minutes ago, Clamp said:

Interesting topic for yall. Which schools do yall see making improvements in this area. Also what kind of surprises are you guys expecting.

Can't speak for other schools but as a Bridgeland parent I can say that the level of drill difficulty is a significant jump from the past few years and is squarely in the top tier. I also like the music this year compared to prior years - it is darker, a lot of big minor chords, a little reminiscent of last yr's Vandegrift musical selection. The show can probably get them first place anywhere - it'll come down to the execution.

4 hours ago, Clamp said:

Interesting topic for yall. Which schools do yall see making improvements in this area. Also what kind of surprises are you guys expecting.

You know, if you watch Bridgeland shows from previous years you'll notice that it's like watching a different band each time. They are consistently getting better at a rather fast pace. They are only 7-8 years old and are passing up these bands that have been around since the '90s and early 2000s. Bridgeland has already made a name for itself when they made BOASA finals last year and we haven't seen a BOA SA finalist in this area since Cy-Falls in 2016 where they placed 14th. Fun fact Cy-Falls made BOASA finals under the director of Shawn McAnear who left the following year to start Bridgeland and returns to finals 7 years later with a newly established band. Bridgeland placed 8th.

Cy-Fair is also improving. Now, that school is probably as old as dirt but they started to make some commotion in 2022 when they came out of nowhere and are now a state finalist along with Bridgeland. Before that year, they hadn't advanced to state since 2018. This band seems to do very well in early-season contests and even won a regional last year which is a first in a long time for any band in this area. I don't know if there was any shift in direction, or change of staff, designers, or composers between 2021 and 2022 but whatever it was is definitely visible and doing them well. 

Lastly, I want to talk about Jordan. They are a bit younger than Bridgeland but they seem to be getting a lot of attention from the audience this year as I've heard many positive things about them. in 2022 (I believe their second year in existence) they were a finalist at a BOA regional which is huge for such a young band. 

As for surprises. I think Jordan has a good chance at making State, Cy-Fair and Bridgeland could return to State Finals. Bridgeland has a good chance at seeing GN finals and Cy-Fair could maybe sneak their way into BOA SA finals (it's a tough contest this year). 

Note: Bridgeland, Cypress Woods, and Seven Lakes have consistently made state since 2020. 

26 minutes ago, Houston213 said:

You know, if you watch Bridgeland shows from previous years you'll notice that it's like watching a different band each time. They are consistently getting better at a rather fast pace. They are only 7-8 years old and are passing up these bands that have been around since the '90s and early 2000s. Bridgeland has already made a name for itself when they made BOASA finals last year and we haven't seen a BOA SA finalist in this area since Cy-Falls in 2016 where they placed 14th. Fun fact Cy-Falls made BOASA finals under the director of Shawn McAnear who left the following year to start Bridgeland and returns to finals 7 years later with a newly established band. Bridgeland placed 8th.

Cy-Fair is also improving. Now, that school is probably as old as dirt but they started to make some commotion in 2022 when they came out of nowhere and are now a state finalist along with Bridgeland. Before that year, they hadn't advanced to state since 2018. This band seems to do very well in early-season contests and even won a regional last year which is a first in a long time for any band in this area. I don't know if there was any shift in direction, or change of staff, designers, or composers between 2021 and 2022 but whatever it was is definitely visible and doing them well. 

Lastly, I want to talk about Jordan. They are a bit younger than Bridgeland but they seem to be getting a lot of attention from the audience this year as I've heard many positive things about them. in 2022 (I believe their second year in existence) they were a finalist at a BOA regional which is huge for such a young band. 

As for surprises. I think Jordan has a good chance at making State, Cy-Fair and Bridgeland could return to State Finals. Bridgeland has a good chance at seeing GN finals and Cy-Fair could maybe sneak their way into BOA SA finals (it's a tough contest this year). 

Note: Bridgeland, Cypress Woods, and Seven Lakes have consistently made state since 2020. 

I’m so glad someone else has made the connection for Shawn Mcnear and BOA SA finalists at falls and Bridgeland!!!! 

Though my few questions are? 
Does Tompkins keep its state spot? 
Does Jordan beat out Tompkins? 
Does Bridgeland Win the area again? Depending on how well fair does? 
Could Jordan Beat out 7L for a state spot? 
What happens with Cinco Ranch, JET, Katy, Cy-Ranch, Langham, Paetow, Jersey Village? How does that order change up? Could one of those bands surprise everyone? 
Just so many questions!! Makes me claw at this year for area.

11 hours ago, Sideswiperr said:

Though my few questions are? 
What happens with Cinco Ranch, JET, Katy, Cy-Ranch, Langham, Paetow, Jersey Village? How does that order change up? Could one of those bands surprise everyone? 

- Yes, but barely
- I think they are closer this year than ever before, but will be just behind Tompkins 
- Yes - 1: Bridgeland 2: Cy-Fair 
- Not this year - next year I think they really push and get it 
What happens with Cinco Ranch, JET, Katy, Cy-Ranch, Langham, Paetow, Jersey Village? How does that order change up?
- This is the biggest mystery of all and the thing I'm most excited about for this area, depending on the day of the week this order can change up drastically! JV is also apparently got some issues they're working through so I wonder if that will effect their performance this year 
Could one of those bands surprise everyone? 
- Possibly! Who is it going to be and what kind of a surprise? A new group at state? A new group in finals? 
- SO! TRUE! 

There are 32 bands in the regions and if all of them make area (unlikely) then there are 6 state spots up for grabs. Now, it'll probably be 5 state spots due to previous trends in this area (possibly 4). 

I feel like Bridgeland, Cy-Fair, Cypress Woods, and Seven Lakes are locks for state because they seem to be the most consistent in the area. Seven Lakes scared me last year with their 5th place ranking but I don't think that means they won't get a state spot this year. Tompkins is a very unpredictable band. They did well in 2020 then kind of fell off and then did really well in 2023. 

Here are previous state qualifiers from this area for reference:

2018: 1st-Katy 2nd-Jersey Village 3rd- Seven Lakes 4th-Cy-Fair 5th-JE Taylor (Cypress Falls 1 off)

2020: 1st- Seven Lakes 2nd- Bridgeland 3rd- Cypress Woods 4th- Tompkins (Cy-Fair 1 off)

2021: 1st- Bridgeland 2nd-Cypress Woods 3rd- Seven Lakes 4th- Jersey Village (Cinco Ranch 1 off)

2022: 1st- Cy-Fair 2nd-Seven Lakes 3rd- Bridgeland 4th- Cypress Woods 5th- JE Taylor (Katy 1 off)

2023: 1st- Bridgeland 2nd- Cy-Fair 3rd- Tompkins 4th- Cypress Woods 5th- Seven Lakes (Jordan 1 off)