UIL 5A Area C 2024

9 minutes ago, brahmsbxch said:

I honestly think it’s going to be really tight. I think North and Kaufman (even though I’m a Kaufman hater bc of the subject matter of their show) will make it.  That third spot is a toss up; It can be WM, LC, Poteet or HP.  I feel insane to not put Poteet as a shoe in but they are just nowhere near clean and their competition results reflect that (especially given the rumor that WM ranked higher at MMF). 

Something no one has brought up is the fact that all these schools have a fall break this week—I wonder if that will stall progress and meaningfully effect outcomes at Area.

An early takeaway from this season is that this Area actually is competitive.  Additionally, it’s notable how West Mesquite has improved so much that they are (allegedly) beating Poteet, and winning competitions and percussion contests, and in consideration by people in this forum for state.  Forney’s departure in fact did not leave a void for interest in this Area. 

Right, I understand you hate Kaufman’s show but let’s not view it as them being yk, I mean the kids seem to really enjoy it and get to be Egyptian, I definitely am jealous about their show, let’s be a bit kinder to them, those kids are working harder than they did in 4a! 

But other than that, I really enjoy North mesquite show as well, and I completely agree about poteet not being clean, but I can see them making it to state, I have high hopes for them 

3 hours ago, Hottogo01 said:

Right, I understand you hate Kaufman’s show but let’s not view it as them being yk, I mean the kids seem to really enjoy it and get to be Egyptian, I definitely am jealous about their show, let’s be a bit kinder to them, those kids are working harder than they did in 4a! 

But other than that, I really enjoy North mesquite show as well, and I completely agree about poteet not being clean, but I can see them making it to state, I have high hopes for them 

“the kids seem to really enjoy it and get to be Egyptian” is crazy 😂 

That only underscores my point. Let’s just have shows where kids can have fun being Indian or Chinese or Nigerian! The whole premise is just not cool, especially when certain groups are targets of discrimination and can’t just choose not to be part of that group if they want.  It’s insensitive and I can bet on the fact that Kaufman has no Middle Eastern students to even say it’s celebrating.  And even if it was true, playing “walk like an Egyptian” is not a celebration of Egyptian culture.  This isn’t even me being sensitive, I’m just perplexed at the lack of acknowledgement about how the show is not respectful or the fact that there are SOOO many more options. 

8 minutes ago, brahmsbxch said:

That only underscores my point. Let’s just have shows where kids can have fun being Indian or Chinese or Nigerian! The whole premise is just not cool, especially when certain groups are targets of discrimination and can’t just choose not to be part of that group if they want.  It’s insensitive and I can bet on the fact that Kaufman has no Middle Eastern students to even say it’s celebrating.  And even if it was true, playing “walk like an Egyptian” is not a celebration of Egyptian culture.  This isn’t even me being sensitive, I’m just perplexed at the lack of acknowledgement about how the show is not respectful or the fact that there are SOOO many more options. 

Hmm I see your point but the show is really just based on the past, like how we have movies about Egypt, I don’t believe they’re necessarily trying to come out that way but more like a show from the past, you know? I personally really like that show :)

https://youtu.be/F0670UHx_Y4?si=eRBBA1I8g8M8KFZE

Mt.Pleasant’s UIL Region Performance. They made a 1 and will be advancing to area. Very excited to see how they will stack up against the top 5, love the show design as well as the visual and music demand throughout the show. Still dirty in some spots but think they can clean up alot before area! Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Ashedfenix7 said:

https://youtu.be/F0670UHx_Y4?si=eRBBA1I8g8M8KFZE

Mt.Pleasant’s UIL Region Performance. They made a 1 and will be advancing to area. Very excited to see how they will stack up against the top 5, love the show design as well as the visual and music demand throughout the show. Still dirty in some spots but think they can clean up alot before area! Thoughts?

i thought uil région was on the 22nd for this area 

20 hours ago, brahmsbxch said:

AMAZING take. Feel like these kind of cultural shows should stay as a thing of the past. If it's questionable, it shouldn't be done. North M's cultural hispanic show only worked well last year because their school and community is majority hispanic.

Unfortunately, our perception of if it's appropriate or not won't affect scoring, (Im sure the older folks judging wouldn't care, as long as the show's executed well) So I'm sure Kaufman will still be fighting in those top spots.

1 hour ago, chippedreeds said:

AMAZING take. Feel like these kind of cultural shows should stay as a thing of the past. If it's questionable, it shouldn't be done. North M's cultural hispanic show only worked well last year because their school and community is majority hispanic.

Unfortunately, our perception of if it's appropriate or not won't affect scoring, (Im sure the older folks judging wouldn't care, as long as the show's executed well) So I'm sure Kaufman will still be fighting in those top spots.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZP88S8LCg/

Different culture, same premise. 

2 hours ago, coolsaxguy05 said:

Hey guys!!! So sorry for the predictions I put out looking back they are totally wrong here are my updated predictions:

1. North Mesquite/Kaufman

2. Kaufman/North Mesquite

3. Poteet/Highland Park/West Mesquite

4. Poteet/Highland Park/West Mesquite

5. Poteet/Highland Park/West Mesquite

6. Lakeview Centennial

Let me know what you guys think!!

I agree with 1 honestly I believe that nm will be area champs and I believe poteet and Kaufman have a guaranteed spot (my opinion) I’m just reeaaaaaaallly dying to see who will be in 4th and 5th place 

6 hours ago, coolsaxguy05 said:

Hey guys!!! So sorry for the predictions I put out looking back they are totally wrong here are my updated predictions:

1. North Mesquite/Kaufman

2. Kaufman/North Mesquite

3. Poteet/Highland Park/West Mesquite

4. Poteet/Highland Park/West Mesquite

5. Poteet/Highland Park/West Mesquite

6. Lakeview Centennial

Let me know what you guys think!!

I heard Kaufman has been mass cleaning between this break they’ve had, I really think they’re going to be area champs this year, I am really am rooting for them