Rain @ Football game??

So last night @ the game between New Braunfels and Seguin, both bands decided not to march. Well it was more of the directors decisions not to march. Well they decided to have the bands playing right after another during half-time. Oh it was all brass, woodwinds couldnt have their horn out. So just curious what other band did yesterday for half-time if it rained in their area?

It rained down here yesterday *gasp, rain in the Valley?!?* and we just hung out until it calmed down. We just recently got a turf field, so mud is no worry. Luckily, it also stopped raining right before the game started. It's rained at some of our games before, so what we usually do is march in ponchos. It's really not that big of a deal except for the flutes, bari, and tenor saxes, because the brass can get wet and the clarinets and saxes can put their instruments under the poncho.

so yeah, we had our ponchos on the whole first 1/2 because it was raining on and off...... but we did march at half time as did Holmes..... and woodwinds only played at halftime..and then it started raining really hard so the woodwinds went inside(home game) and the brass finished out the game... but yeah. it was weird not playing

i remember one game in my freshmen year we marched in the rain at halftime. it was a somewhat cold shower, not really pouring but coming down steady. it was awesome! (but cold, it was in november)

Birdville Marching Competition 2004 we marched in the pouring rain. Our band director described it as the band geek version of the muddy football game.

Birdville Marching Competition 2004 we marched in the pouring rain. Our band director described it as the band geek version of the muddy football game.

We had a similar experience at the 2004 BOA Houston Regional, it was our first BOA performance, ever.

It had just began to pour down rain as we entered the field and we had an early time (I think it was somewhere between 7:30 - 8:30 am). So we did our show in the pouring down rain. Then we had another contest and learned that we made the finals at BOA, so we drove back there, didn't get back home till past 1 am, I think.

didnt that happen one state year?

Yeah, it was horrible. The rain was freezing.... I couldn't feel my lips or my hands. The field was nothing but mud by the time we went on. The Woodlands had some sousaphones fall on each other thus creating the "taco tuba". Then they didn't even hold a finals. The judging was pretty whack too, but it wasn't exactly their fault.

What a lame excuse for a competition.

Here's my long take on State 2002:

State 2002 was a HUGE reason why the UIL State Competition was moved to The Alamodome in San Antonio. Warm-up was bad enough in the fields. Imagine warming up in mud, during a downpour, with water reaching up to your ankles. Not a fun thing at all.

The logistics of the stadium didn't make things any better. Floyd Casey Stadium has two VERY steep "ramps" that the bands must enter and exit from. It was hard enough trying to keep your footing on concrete, let alone trying to keep the same traction while running around the field.

Students were going to the hospital from injuries sustained while performing their show in the rain. If you didn't break a bone or twist an ankle, chances are you caught a little case of the sniffles from being in the rain, which was definitely a lot worse for the few bands at State that went on to the the freezing climate in Indiana for Grand Nationals.

Okay, so I've said a lot of negative things about State 2002 but in all honesty, that was probably the funnest performance I have ever given. I can only speak from personal experience on this because no one in my band got hurt during the show. State 2002 was only about one thing: Survival. If you just make it through the show without any casulties, you had a great chance at making Finals!!!!

Being in the stadium, you picked up on a vibe from everyone in the audience. The vibe told you that you were about to be a part of a competition in which the field conditions and overall organization of the show were so poor that the band who had the fewest people fall down would most likely walk out of the stadium as State Champions.

Before we took the field, I turned around to my band and shouted, "Let's have some fun!!!!" And so we did. Watching the colorguard roll around in the mud was.....hot!!!!(Cut me some slack, I was a Senior back then!) Even when I fell, I was laughing my **** off. Yes...I was Drum Major...And I fell during our performance. Get off me!!

We walked off the field with huge smiles on our faces because we knew that State 2002 was an absolute joke. It doesn't make sense to hold a competition in which many students got injured and many instruments were destroyed beyond repair. Colorguard tosses ceased for most, if not all, of the shows performed that day.

We were not told until after the last band performed in Prelims that Finals was cancelled. The announcer called for the Drum Majors of eight bands to head to the field level immediately. Here's the funny part: Back then, State did not have a Drum Major retreat after Prelims so unless you performed in the last block, you didn't have any time to run to the bus and get your uniform. The biggest competition in the State of Texas and half of the Drum Majors that made "Finals", including my co-drum major and myself, were standing in blue jeans and letter jackets. So professional!!!!!!

I'll remember State 2002 forever. I'll tell the story to my Grandchildren. If I'm ever hanging around any of you, chances are you'll hear more about State 2002 from me. The memory will last forever and I am definitely thankful that the competition has moved indoors so that many of you will not have to suffer what I went through four years ago.

I will say this though:

The moment that my **** literally slammed into the ground shortly before playing my oboe solo was the most liberating feeling I have ever experienced =)

State 2002 was a HUGE reason why the UIL State Competition was moved to The Alamodome in San Antonio. Warm-up was bad enough in the fields. Imagine warming up in mud, during a downpour, with water reaching up to your ankles. Not a fun thing at all.

The logistics of the stadium didn't make things any better. Floyd Casey Stadium has two VERY steep "ramps" that the bands must enter and exit from. It was hard enough trying to keep your footing on concrete, let alone trying to keep the same traction while running around the field.

Students were going to the hospital from injuries sustained while performing their show in the rain. If you didn't break a bone or twist an ankle, chances are you caught a little case of the sniffles from being in the rain, which was definitely a lot worse for the few bands at State that went on to the the freezing climate in Indiana for Grand Nationals.

Okay, so I've said a lot of negative things about State 2002 but in all honesty, that was probably the funnest performance I have ever given. I can only speak from personal experience on this because no one in my band got hurt during the show. State 2002 was only about one thing: Survival. If you just make it through the show without any casulties, you had a great chance at making Finals!!!!

Being in the stadium, you picked up on a vibe from everyone in the audience. The vibe told you that you were about to be a part of a competition in which the field conditions and overall organization of the show were so poor that the band who had the fewest people fall down would most likely walk out of the stadium as State Champions.

Before we took the field, I turned around to my band and shouted, "Let's have some fun!!!!" And so we did. Watching the colorguard roll around in the mud was.....hot!!!!(Cut me some slack, I was a Senior back then!) Even when I fell, I was laughing my **** off. Yes...I was Drum Major...And I fell during our performance. Get off me!!

We walked off the field with huge smiles on our faces because we knew that State 2002 was an absolute joke. It doesn't make sense to hold a competition in which many students got injured and many instruments were destroyed beyond repair. Colorguard tosses ceased for most, if not all, of the shows performed that day.

We were not told until after the last band performed in Prelims that Finals was cancelled. The announcer called for the Drum Majors of eight bands to head to the field level immediately. Here's the funny part: Back then, State did not have a Drum Major retreat after Prelims so unless you performed in the last block, you didn't have any time to run to the bus and get your uniform. The biggest competition in the State of Texas and half of the Drum Majors that made "Finals", including my co-drum major and myself, were standing in blue jeans and letter jackets. So professional!!!!!!

I'll remember State 2002 forever. I'll tell the story to my Grandchildren. If I'm ever hanging around any of you, chances are you'll hear more about State 2002 from me. The memory will last forever and I am definitely thankful that the competition has moved indoors so that many of you will not have to suffer what I went through four years ago.

I will say this though:

The moment that my **** literally slammed into the ground shortly before playing my oboe solo was the most liberating feeling I have ever experienced =)

dude thats sounds like sooo much friggen fun lol

I will say this though:

Your stories are great Danpod.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, it was horrible. The rain was freezing.... I couldn't feel my lips or my hands. The field was nothing but mud by the time we went on. The Woodlands had some sousaphones fall on each other thus creating the "taco tuba". Then they didn't even hold a finals. The judging was pretty whack too, but it wasn't exactly their fault.

What a lame excuse for a competition.

ohhh Taco Tuba. That was definitely on top of my list of most favorite competitions.