UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2024 (Nov. 4-5)

Guess who's back :). 

The 2023 state marching season was truly one of the best we have seen in a long time, and I feel 2024 will be a step up from that. Even though we are months away from any contests, I thought it would be fun to bring the 5A State contest topic back for another year. Many changes are going to happen this year, so please ensure to look at all the other topics that will be covering all the areas (And don't worry, the every Area Results topic will be making its return). Can't wait to see how each area will shape up this year to make this state contest one to remember!

I'm gonna throw out a super bold prediction: Cedar Park will win again 🫣

But in all seriousness, I don't know if there will be a new 5A state champ until Cedar Park gets moved out for one of many possible future reasons. Yes, I know in 15,17 and 19, they didn't win prelims, but Rouse last year has been the closest since Covid, and while they are IMO the band to do it, I just don't see it happening. We know what CP does every year when it comes finals, and NOBODY in the nation can do it like they do. The only possible way I see it happening soon is if they were to somehow get a 2 at region, which just won't happen. 

22 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

But in all seriousness, I don't know if there will be a new 5A state champ until Cedar Park gets moved out for one of many possible future reasons. Yes, I know in 15,17 and 19, they didn't win prelims, but Rouse last year has been the closest since Covid, and while they are IMO the band to do it, I just don't see it happening. We know what CP does every year when it comes finals, and NOBODY in the nation can do it like they do. The only possible way I see it happening soon is if they were to somehow get a 2 at region, which just won't happen. 

We'll see 👀

On 2/28/2024 at 2:52 PM, Tubalord11 said:

I do believe this to be likely knowing Cedar Park. This year’s show is likely to be amazing because of Grand Nats, but I am hoping eventually someone pulls through.

Also for Leander, I do know their show will probably be amazing, and they’ll probably be 3rd/4th this year. That’s the only prediction I am making.

• 3 months later...

well we are getting very close to the beginning of summer band camp and I am really excited to see how many bands will advance to state from each area! Below is my guess as to how many bands, plus which bands I could see advance from each area-

Area A- If they keep it split like last year, then I don't see any major changes as to who advances, but these are my predictions-

JM Hanks
Lubbock-Cooper
Lubbock

Area B- This area will have a very interesting outcome, but overall, I see Wakeland and Lone Star being "locks" and then the final two spots being between McKinney North, Lebanon Trail, Argyle, and possibly The Colony? But here is how I see the results-

Wakeland
Lone Star
Lebanon Trail
Argyle

Area C- this area has a huge change with Pine Tree and Forney both leaving. I feel that Lakeview Centennial will be the one to win this area, followed by Mesquite Poteet. But here is my predictions-

Lakeview Centennial
Mesquite Poteet
Highland Park
North Mesquite (If they send 4)

Area D- This area will be interesting because of the way each band has a great chance of advancing. I think we will definitely see Hendrickson, Pieper, and Lake Belton advance. Then from there, I could see plenty of bands take the final spots, but here is what I predict-

Hendrickson
Pieper
Lake Belton
McCallum
New Braunfels
Jack C. Hays (If they send 6)

Area E- This group had the biggest change for the upcoming season, and I think we could see a good amount of bands advance. Personally, these are the bands I see advancing-

Friendswood HS
A&M Consolidated
Barbers Hill
Kempner
Porter

Area F- This area will most likely send 5 bands to state, or even 6 if things work out well. These area the bands I see advancing-

Aledo
Burleson Centennial
Richland
Colleyville Heritage
Birdville
Azle or Fossil Ridge (If 6 bands advance)

Area H- With this being the last area, I really hope they are able to send 4 bands to state. I don't see much change happening, but I do think Glenn will take it this time-

Rouse
Cedar Park
Leander
Glenn or Liberty Hill (I actually could see Glenn winning this time)

I know this is kind of a random thought, but should the UIL create split divisions (Division 1 and Division 2) for Area/State marching contests? Because it seems like now all sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Baseball and Softball) is having a division split, essentially doubling the state champions, just like in football. So could we see this in marching band in the next few years? Here's how I think it could work: Once you have finished Region contests for your entire area and you get the number of bands that have advanced to Area, you then rank all of the bands by their school enrollment number. Once you do that, the top half of schools go to Division 1, while the others go to Division 2 (ex: 24 bands advance, 12 in D1, 12 in D2). In the event that there is an odd number of bands that advanced, the one right I the middle can choose what division they want to compete in (ex: 25 bands advance, top 12 go to D1 and the bottom 12 go to D2, the 13th school could go wherever they want). And then for state contests, there would also be a D1 and D2, but the bands that were D1 at the Area level would continue to stay D1 at the State lever, and vice versa. So, do yall think this could be a reality one day?

1 hour ago, BandNerd07 said:

I know this is kind of a random thought, but should the UIL create split divisions (Division 1 and Division 2) for Area/State marching contests? Because it seems like now all sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Baseball and Softball) is having a division split, essentially doubling the state champions, just like in football. So could we see this in marching band in the next few years? Here's how I think it could work: Once you have finished Region contests for your entire area and you get the number of bands that have advanced to Area, you then rank all of the bands by their school enrollment number. Once you do that, the top half of schools go to Division 1, while the others go to Division 2 (ex: 24 bands advance, 12 in D1, 12 in D2). In the event that there is an odd number of bands that advanced, the one right I the middle can choose what division they want to compete in (ex: 25 bands advance, top 12 go to D1 and the bottom 12 go to D2, the 13th school could go wherever they want). And then for state contests, there would also be a D1 and D2, but the bands that were D1 at the Area level would continue to stay D1 at the State lever, and vice versa. So, do yall think this could be a reality one day?

No

2 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

As much as this would be helpful for some programs, I think the system they have now is good. Having a D1 and D2 would make things to “completed” and also less competitive, which takes away motivation for programs to improve rather than having an “easy” way in, though I understand the thought.

32 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

As much as this would be helpful for some programs, I think the system they have now is good. Having a D1 and D2 would make things to “completed” and also less competitive, which takes away motivation for programs to improve rather than having an “easy” way in, though I understand the thought.

Yeah, it is understandable. Like for example, in Area B 6A, Southlake Carroll is the one right smack in the middle and in my scenario for bands in the middle, they would most likely go D2 because that's basically a lock for them rather than going D1 and having to compete with Copppell, Keller, Timber Creek, and Bell.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2024 at 8:04 PM, Dave609 said:

well we are getting very close to the beginning of summer band camp and I am really excited to see how many bands will advance to state from each area! Below is my guess as to how many bands, plus which bands I could see advance from each area-

Area A- If they keep it split like last year, then I don't see any major changes as to who advances, but these are my predictions-

JM Hanks
Lubbock-Cooper
Lubbock

Area B- This area will have a very interesting outcome, but overall, I see Wakeland and Lone Star being "locks" and then the final two spots being between McKinney North, Lebanon Trail, Argyle, and possibly The Colony? But here is how I see the results-

Wakeland
Lone Star
Lebanon Trail
Argyle

Area C- this area has a huge change with Pine Tree and Forney both leaving. I feel that Lakeview Centennial will be the one to win this area, followed by Mesquite Poteet. But here is my predictions-

Lakeview Centennial
Mesquite Poteet
Highland Park

Area D- This area will be interesting because of the way each band has a great chance of advancing. I think we will definitely see Hendrickson, Pieper, and Lake Belton advance. Then from there, I could see plenty of bands take the final spots, but here is what I predict-

Hendrickson
Pieper
Lake Belton
McCallum
New Braunfels

Area E- This group had the biggest change for the upcoming season, and I think we could see a good amount of bands advance. Personally, these are the bands I see advancing-

Friendswood HS
A&M Consolidated
Barbers Hill
Kempner
Porter

Area F- This area will most likely send 5 bands to state, or even 6 if things work out well. These area the bands I see advancing-

Aledo
Burleson Centennial
Richland
Colleyville Heritage
Birdville

Area H- With this being the last area, I really hope they are able to send 4 bands to state. I don't see much change happening, but I do think Glenn will take it this time-

Rouse
Cedar Park
Leander

Jack C. Hays trumpet here, we had our freshman camp, spring camp, and leadership camp so far we are honestly making more progress this early in the season than we did at the end of last season (music and marching fundamental wise). If we were able to make 2nd place at area in 2022, we’re definitely able to make state this year 

2 minutes ago, Andrew_0613 said:

Jack C. Hays trumpet here, we had our freshman camp, spring camp, and leadership camp so far we are honestly making more progress this early in the season than we did at the end of last season (music and marching fundamental wise). If we were able to make 2nd place at area in 2022, we’re definitely able to make state this year 

I hope ya'll do! Which is why I'm also hoping that 6 bands can advance from the area since there are plenty of amazing bands!

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Well everyone, now that it’s public via BUGWB Instagram, I’m happy to announce that this year, I and the Golden Wave Band will be this years prelims for exhibition band for the 5A state contest! I’m really excited to perform for all of the thousands of parents and students, and have my first performance in the dome 🥳

Performing in the Alamodome is special!

12 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Well everyone, now that it’s public via BUGWB Instagram, I’m happy to announce that this year, I and the Golden Wave Band will be this years prelims for exhibition band for the 5A state contest! I’m really excited to perform for all of the thousands of parents and students, and have my first performance in the dome 🥳

I'm glad you'll get to experience it as well! Enjoy it, that exhibition crowd is amazing and they will be cheering you guys on! 

• 1 month later...

Doesn't Area H potentially send 5 bands this year?

Region 11 5A:

Winn HS - Eagle Pass ISD
Cast Stem HS - Southwest ISD
Southwest HS - Southwest ISD
Southwest Legacy HS - Southwest ISD
South San Antonio HS - South San Antonio ISD
Harlandale HS - Harlandale ISD
McCollum HS - Harlandale ISD
Southside HS - Southside ISD
Veterans Memorial HS - Judson ISD
Wagner HS - Judson ISD

Region 14 North 5A:

Alice HS - Alice ISD
Gregory Portland HS - Gregory Portland ISD
Flour Bluff HS - Flour Bluff ISD
Branch Academy HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Carroll HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Collegiate HS - Corpus Christi ISD
King HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Miller HS/Metro MS - Corpus Christi ISD
Moody HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Ray HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Veterans Memorial HS - Corpus Christi ISD

Region 29 5A:

Tivy HS - Kerrville ISD
Boerne HS - Boerne ISD
Champion HS - Boerne ISD
John Jay HS - Northside ISD
Brackenridge HS - San Antonio ISD
Burbank HS - San Antonio ISD
Edison HS - San Antonio ISD
Fox Tech HS - San Antonio ISD
Highlands HS - San Antonio ISD
Jefferson HS - San Antonio ISD
Lanier HS - San Antonio ISD

Region 32 5A:

Liberty Hill HS - Liberty Hill ISD
Cedar Park HS - Leander ISD
Glenn HS - Leander ISD
Leander HS - Leander ISD
Rouse HS - Leander ISD

*Laredo ISD 5A schools are assigned to Area G.
Victoria ISD 5A schools are assigned to Area D.
Corpus Christi ISD 5A schools, Alice HS, Flour Bluff HS,
and Gregory-Portland HS are assigned to Area H.

21 minutes ago, RoyKentsGhost said:

Doesn't Area H potentially send 5 bands this year?

Region 11 5A:

Winn HS - Eagle Pass ISD
Cast Stem HS - Southwest ISD
Southwest HS - Southwest ISD
Southwest Legacy HS - Southwest ISD
South San Antonio HS - South San Antonio ISD
Harlandale HS - Harlandale ISD
McCollum HS - Harlandale ISD
Southside HS - Southside ISD
Veterans Memorial HS - Judson ISD
Wagner HS - Judson ISD

Region 14 North 5A:

Alice HS - Alice ISD
Gregory Portland HS - Gregory Portland ISD
Flour Bluff HS - Flour Bluff ISD
Branch Academy HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Carroll HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Collegiate HS - Corpus Christi ISD
King HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Miller HS/Metro MS - Corpus Christi ISD
Moody HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Ray HS - Corpus Christi ISD
Veterans Memorial HS - Corpus Christi ISD

Region 29 5A:

Tivy HS - Kerrville ISD
Boerne HS - Boerne ISD
Champion HS - Boerne ISD
John Jay HS - Northside ISD
Brackenridge HS - San Antonio ISD
Burbank HS - San Antonio ISD
Edison HS - San Antonio ISD
Fox Tech HS - San Antonio ISD
Highlands HS - San Antonio ISD
Jefferson HS - San Antonio ISD
Lanier HS - San Antonio ISD

Region 32 5A:

Liberty Hill HS - Liberty Hill ISD
Cedar Park HS - Leander ISD
Glenn HS - Leander ISD
Leander HS - Leander ISD
Rouse HS - Leander ISD

*Laredo ISD 5A schools are assigned to Area G.
Victoria ISD 5A schools are assigned to Area D.
Corpus Christi ISD 5A schools, Alice HS, Flour Bluff HS,
and Gregory-Portland HS are assigned to Area H.

If they send 5 bands to State, this will be a great year!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2024 at 11:00 AM, Tubalord11 said:

Congrats. Very cool

On 6/29/2024 at 8:04 PM, Dave609 said:

JM Hanks
Lubbock-Cooper
Lubbock

Wakeland
Lone Star
Lebanon Trail
Argyle

Lakeview Centennial
Mesquite Poteet
Highland Park

Hendrickson
Pieper
Lake Belton
McCallum
New Braunfels

Friendswood HS
A&M Consolidated
Barbers Hill
Kempner
Porter

Aledo
Burleson Centennial
Richland
Colleyville Heritage
Birdville

Rouse
Cedar Park
Leander

Area B will almost definitely have Wakeland and Lone Star at state. I think after seeing their bands and some results I think pretty much any of the finalists and even some bands that might not make finals have a small chance of making state. 

1 hour ago, flutelolbro said:

Area B will almost definitely have Wakeland and Lone Star at state. I think after seeing their bands and some results I think pretty much any of the finalists and even some bands that might not make finals have a small chance of making state. 

I'm definitely going to re-do my predictions now since there are multiple areas that have chances to send a good amount of bands to State. So when I get the chance I'll definitely make a new one.