UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2024 (Nov. 4-5)

On 2/28/2024 at 2:52 PM, Tubalord11 said:

I'm gonna throw out a super bold prediction: Cedar Park will win again 🫣

But in all seriousness, I don't know if there will be a new 5A state champ until Cedar Park gets moved out for one of many possible future reasons. Yes, I know in 15,17 and 19, they didn't win prelims, but Rouse last year has been the closest since Covid, and while they are IMO the band to do it, I just don't see it happening. We know what CP does every year when it comes finals, and NOBODY in the nation can do it like they do. The only possible way I see it happening soon is if they were to somehow get a 2 at region, which just won't happen. 

From what I know and have heard CP is planning something for the end of their show  for state... if look at their show you can see areas where they are still building their drill... or sand bagging till state... they have  something up their sleeves... 

On 10/1/2024 at 1:34 PM, LKendrick said:

I'm super into what they're doing, show is awesome and the sound great.  I think they'll make a run for sure.  

Lone Star does have an amazing show.  But they need more Movement and drill .. musicality wise they can  compete with  CP Rouse Wakeland and the other  top bands.   Their only  weakness is not enough  GE/drill..  

14 hours ago, OGFISD99 said:

Lone Star does have an amazing show.  But they need more Movement and drill .. musicality wise they can  compete with  CP Rouse Wakeland and the other  top bands.   Their only  weakness is not enough  GE/drill..  

In previous years I would agree a little more.  Although music is still the strength, I really enjoy their music program.  GE wise I think they have some fantastic moments across the board, the musical phrasing and building is pretty top notch in that regard.  I find the opener and closer in particular to be also exciting visually, huge field coverage, beautiful forms, and sequences, great direction ,etc.  I think 4th-6th is very much in play, which would be a massive step up for them.  

3 minutes ago, LKendrick said:

In previous years I would agree a little more.  Although music is still the strength, I really enjoy their music program.  GE wise I think they have some fantastic moments across the board, the musical phrasing and building is pretty top notch in that regard.  I find the opener and closer in particular to be also exciting visually, huge field coverage, beautiful forms, and sequences, great direction ,etc.  I think 4th-6th is very much in play, which would be a massive step up for them.  

I think for UIL theres an argument for 3rd personally, the writing for them this year is very very strong, which usually is what held them back in previous years in my opinion

1 hour ago, LKendrick said:

We were 7th last year..

If we take a look at CP Rouse and Wakeland... they have more drill than Lone Star... that is what takes you from  top 3 to 4th to 10th..... Being an old timer band member it's always been about who has the best technique marching, floating the forms and straight lines and diagnels ...... and the bands I see accomplishing these things are those 3 bands... Lone Star is almost there... they just need do a little  more marching technique training and they'll be seriously taken at State Uil and BOA'S.. 

28 minutes ago, OGFISD99 said:

If we take a look at CP Rouse and Wakeland... they have more drill than Lone Star... that is what takes you from  top 3 to 4th to 10th..... Being an old timer band member it's always been about who has the best technique marching, floating the forms and straight lines and diagnels ...... and the bands I see accomplishing these things are those 3 bands... Lone Star is almost there... they just need do a little  more marching technique training and they'll be seriously taken at State Uil and BOA'S.. 

At BOA'S what?