On 7/25/2024 at 9:43 PM, Sharkstan said:

late to this link party…

Shadow Creek HS 2024

”Tianlong” 

featuring Firefly by Ryan George and music from Spirited Away by Joe HisaishiIMG_5837.thumb.jpeg.aba9ef2e6fc7c3502c516311facffd5f.jpeg

All I can say is this is not a good look…

A show about Chinese mythology not using any genuine Chinese composers or music and then using a Japanese composer instead. This whole show is giving wildly racist vibes and the kids deserve better.

13 hours ago, lost said:

A show about Chinese mythology not using any genuine Chinese composers or music and then using a Japanese composer instead. This whole show is giving wildly racist vibes and the kids deserve better.

Finally someone said it, I’m not a fan of most asian based marching shows in Texas because it comes off extremely offensive if done wrong. I’m a fan of the concept of the show, but not having anything related to China in the music or anything just sets off the alarm bells. I hope we’re proven wrong and the show turns out amazing, but I am worried as of right now.

11 minutes ago, packwick said:

maybe we should, like, ya know, wait for Shadow Creek's show to be actually fielded before we start with the breathless pearl clutching and calling it "wildly racist"??? just a thought, kiddos!

True that- my apologies- I'll go back to figuring out what the heck my marching band's drill is now (it's very interesting stoof)- again, my apologies

14 minutes ago, youraveragebandkid said:

True that- my apologies- I'll go back to figuring out what the heck my marching band's drill is now (it's very interesting stoof)- again, my apologies

to be fair, u were more muted with your cricitism.

23 hours ago, lost said:

Spirited Away is based off Taiwan which has Chinese Culture 😭😭😭. You guys should not be talking about racism, assuming that the Shadow Creek band doesnt have a good majority of Asian/Chinese people.

On 8/2/2024 at 11:46 AM, packwick said:

maybe we should, like, ya know, wait for Shadow Creek's show to be actually fielded before we start with the breathless pearl clutching and calling it "wildly racist"??? just a thought, kiddos!

wait i thought this group was all about making predictions and assumptions before any shows have actually been fielded

1 hour ago, tubapop said:

wait i thought this group was all about making predictions and assumptions before any shows have actually been fielded

Yes but when dealing with some as serious as racism, we shouldn’t be early to judge. While I understand the concerns some here may have, there have been plenty of cultural based shows and none of them have ever had any issues with being racist. Think Haltom 21, Ig Colleyville Heritage 18, and probably plenty more. And just because they might not be playing Asian music, the directors of the band are not stupid enough to put out a show that would in any way make the band look bad. It’s best if everyone holds any personal judgment of what this show could until we have our first look. And while Shadow Creek is a good program, it’s not like it’s some heavy hitter like Vandy or Hebron doing this show. Let’s just focus on the positives of what this show could be rather than criticizing something we haven’t even seen. 

nooot sure it's been posted but Pearland announced their show Maximus on instagram. music from Gladiator in the background. Cartwright Theatre incoming.

funny, i watched that movie all the way through for the first time a few weeks ago. all my straight guy friends' favorite movie LOL. it was a'ight. gets better once it gets to Rome. curious to see how Paul Mescal pulls it off in the upcoming sequel. brilliant and charismatic actor (Normal People, Aftersun, All of Us Strangers, etc.)

5 minutes ago, packwick said:

nooot sure it's been posted but Pearland announced their show Maximus on instagram. music from Gladiator in the background. Cartwright Theatre incoming.

funny, i watched that movie all the way through for the first time a few weeks ago. all my straight guy friends' favorite movie LOL. it was a'ight. gets better once it gets to Rome. curious to see how Paul Mescal pulls it off in the upcoming sequel. brilliant and charismatic actor (Normal People, Aftersun, All of Us Strangers, etc.)

Cartwright Theater lmaoooo

Yeah I saw their show announcement on HornRank! That’s going to look superrrr interesting on the field! Given that my hs band and theirs are in the same UIL area, we might see their show at the Area comp- and that’ll be mega exciting 😆🥳

15 hours ago, tubapop said:

lol well good luck to those of us who think they can make placement predictions based on show themes/titles. you'll need it!!

not a huge consideration in scoring as long as there's something unifying the production. a truly creative one can make u more memorable, however. maybe a slight elevation over other groups in your score neighborhood.

woodlands guard has some sort of triangle motif going on. triangles on their 2024 guard t-shirts, a couple of triforce symbols on yellow flags, i think they're new flags, not sure. sooo, def this show is about pyramid schemes, obviously. or inverted funnel programs...

jk. don't know yet. will prob be announced soon tho.

12 minutes ago, packwick said:

lol well good luck to those of us who think they can make placement predictions based on show themes/titles. you'll need it!!

not a huge consideration in scoring as long as there's something unifying the production. a truly creative one can make u more memorable, however. maybe a slight elevation over other groups in your score neighborhood.

Hmm…interesting- definitely will be thinking about this post and how I can view the concept of my own marching show better haha 

5 minutes ago, packwick said:

woodlands guard has some sort of triangle motif going on. triangles on their 2024 guard t-shirts, a couple of triforce symbols on yellow flags, i think they're new flags, not sure. sooo, def this show is about pyramid schemes, obviously. or inverted funnel programs...

jk. don't know yet. will prob be announced soon tho.

Ooooooh interesting 😲😁

On 8/2/2024 at 1:46 PM, packwick said:

I don’t think it’s an unfair criticism with the knowledge we’ve been given. The immediate defensiveness to a valid concern is interesting. It’s hard to give it a chance when the core concept has fundamental issues. When you see a culture continually misrepresented on the field and in media you become jaded. No need for the condescension. 

I’m sure the kids will perform it well. They’ve been on the up and up especially in a brutal area. Really tough but they always show up and work hard.

On 5/6/2024 at 8:52 PM, Mike McBandiel said:

Cedar Park HS 2024: The Cutting Edge

IMG_8167.jpeg

Excited for this show. I think Cedar Park has a shot at top five at nationals. I missed this and had been looking for what they were taking to nationals. Do we know Leanders show yet?