Melissa Marching Showcase (Sept. 28th, 2024)

52 minutes ago, RouseMegaFan said:

RouseMegaFan is back and here’s my top 5 for Melissa!

1. Lonestar 

2. Rock hill 

3. McKinney/Lebanon Trail

4.McKinney/Lebanon

5. Argle 

Honestly 6-12 can vary but I think these Highschools will make it: Lovejoy, Independence, Celina, Anna  

You've got my exact same top 5, as well as next four. I think Lakeview Centennial is also pretty much a lock, assuming they build of their amazing season. I'm still a little confused though on how the small division/big division things works. Do we know if a small division band is in the top 12 and wants to qualify as big decision, does that mean only 3 guaranteed small division bands, or will there be 4 SD bands regardless if some qualify for big division and place in the top 12? Either way this comp is already so competitive for being in it's 2nd year of existence, and I have a feeling will only grow in popularity. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:00 AM, Dave609 said:

The second ever Melissa Marching Showcase will be taking place on September 28th, 2024 at Coach Kenny Deel Stadium! This year is shaping up to have quite a turn out with some big returns and some first time bands! It will truly be quite a show this year! Really excited to see Lonestar make a return again and 10 bands will be making their first appearance at this contest, which includes Argyle HS and McKinney HS!

Participating Bands as of 08/13/2024-

Small School Divison (2A-4A) (Unchanged):

Canton HS
Celina HS
China Spring HS
Community HS
Italy HS
North Lamar HS
S&S Consolidated HS
Sulphur Springs HS
Whitewright HS

Large School Divison (5A-6A):

Anna HS
Argyle HS
Benton HS (Louisiana)
Denton Ryan HS
Frisco Heritage HS
Frisco Independence HS
Frisco Liberty HS
Frisco Lone Star HS (Reigning Champion)
Frisco Memorial HS
Garland HS
James Madison HS
Lake Highlands HS
Lakeview Centennial HS
Lebanon Trail HS
Lovejoy HS
McKinney HS
North Forney HS
Plano Jasper HS
Rock Hill HS
Rowlett HS

Exhibition:

Melissa HS
University of Texas  Arlington

Modern+Business+Conference+Facebook+Post.png

Is there a schedule available with performance times? We just received the show time for Heritage but would love the complete schedule if available.  

Top 5 for Melissa!

1. Lonestar
  2. McKinney/Rock Hill
  3. McKinney/Rock Hill
  4. Lebanon Trail
  5. Argyle

Lonestar is a very consistent program.  It will be interesting to see if McKinney continues their upward trajectory that they started last season with their staff changes.  Definitely a dark horse of a program to watch out for.  Rock Hill has dealt with Prosper ISD's rezoning, so we will start to see what type of impact, if any, that has had on their program.

49 minutes ago, ReginaPhalange said:

Top 5 for Melissa!

1. Lonestar
  2. McKinney/Rock Hill
  3. McKinney/Rock Hill
  4. Lebanon Trail
  5. Argyle

Lonestar is a very consistent program.  It will be interesting to see if McKinney continues their upward trajectory that they started last season with their staff changes.  Definitely a dark horse of a program to watch out for.  Rock Hill has dealt with Prosper ISD's rezoning, so we will start to see what type of impact, if any, that has had on their program.

I completely agree with this. There’s some videos of YT from the McKinney showcase and McKinney sounds the best they ever have. I doubt they will best Lonestar but their brass is sooo good this season. Very interested to see how they do at area this year 

20 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I completely agree with this. There’s some videos of YT from the McKinney showcase and McKinney sounds the best they ever have. I doubt they will best Lonestar but their brass is sooo good this season. Very interested to see how they do at area this year 

What do you think about the small school division? (shows you’ve actually seen)

Edited by ATSSBoT
mistype

Small school scene is really exciting here.  Should give us a preview, but a lot can change by November!  Order last year here compared to the order by 4A state:

Melissa

- Anna (2nd)

- Celina (4th)

- North Lamar (9th)

- China Spring (11th)

- Sulphur Springs (14th)

- Canton (15th)

State

- Celina (1st)

- Anna (3rd)

- Sulphur Springs (4th)

- China Spring (5th)

- North Lamar (9th)

- Canton (14th)

This is such a unique mix of large and small school.  Should present some interesting spreads and results again!

53 minutes ago, LKendrick said:

Small school scene is really exciting here.  Should give us a preview, but a lot can change by November!  Order last year here compared to the order by 4A state:

Melissa

- Anna (2nd)

- Celina (4th)

- North Lamar (9th)

- China Spring (11th)

- Sulphur Springs (14th)

- Canton (15th)

State

- Celina (1st)

- Anna (3rd)

- Sulphur Springs (4th)

- China Spring (5th)

- North Lamar (9th)

- Canton (14th)

This is such a unique mix of large and small school.  Should present some interesting spreads and results again!

Canton looks so discredited here 💀

Either way they’re cooking this year so it should be exciting

I’ve seen everyone’s show except celina so here are my rankings/thoughts based on that 

Small school division 

1. Celina/Sulphur Springs

2. Canton

3. Celina/Sulphur Springs

4. China Spring - barely

5. North Lamar

Celina - Haven’t seen their show but i’ve heard they’re moving slowly, I see them either sweeping or starting off slowly with third

Sulphur Springs - They already sound great and their drill is awesome.. my only concern is the music isn’t arranged very well (it goes from huge hits to light woodwind moments) 

They’ll definitely place better than last year but I do think that there is a bit of cleaning to do visual/drill wise before they’re really there but they’re here to make waves 

Canton - Great show arrangement (WAYYYYY better than last years)

Bit of balance/form/spacing issues at the moment but nothing they won’t sort out

Canton isn’t the type to call it a day after receiving their lowest placement ever as a program, i’m sure they’re fired up and i’m thrilled to see them in person

China Spring - Their first two acts are awesome! The balance is great and so is the music, seems a bit easier than last year which is probably for the better. My only concern is the last act; it seems like the cougars are running out of steam and it’s not nearly as clean. Not sure how this will have an effect on them but we’ll have to see!

North Lamar - Off to a rough start this year.. this program is always a great one but I don’t think they’re quite where they should be to compete at such a level - They’ll catch up though, i’m sure 😆

Community - Great little program, it’s hard to say they’ll be anywhere but 6th in this contest as it’s so competitive. They chose a hard book this year that’s for sure! Not sure if it’ll bite them in the end but it’s what they need to be improving!

10 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

I agree with you, I saw a video of McKinney this year they are sounding much better than they have in the past, especially the brass. I also think it will be especially interesting to see the results of the different caption awards and if Lonestar will sweep or if different bands will win different captions and how it will compare to the overall results.

3 hours ago, LKendrick said:

Melissa

- Anna (2nd)

- Celina (4th)

- North Lamar (9th)

- China Spring (11th)

- Sulphur Springs (14th)

- Canton (15th)

State

- Celina (1st)

- Anna (3rd)

- Sulphur Springs (4th)

- China Spring (5th)

- North Lamar (9th)

- Canton (14th)

Yeah, I was at this show last year and it was hot hot hot hot. Not to mention it was the first show of the year and several schools didn't have all their props and perform the entire show. I would have loved to seen 3A Mineola at this show. I think they finished 12th in Finals and I know they beat Celina in Prelims at Royse City last year. 

48 minutes ago, Helaband said:

I agree with you, I saw a video of McKinney this year they are sounding much better than they have in the past, especially the brass. I also think it will be especially interesting to see the results of the different caption awards and if Lonestar will sweep or if different bands will win different captions and how it will compare to the overall results.

I'm interested in the Caption Awards as well.  I think Rock Hill has a chance at stealing Woodwinds from Lone Star, and McKinney has a chance at stealing Brass from Lone Star.  It would be interesting to see a shake up!

20 hours ago, ReginaPhalange said:

I'm interested in the Caption Awards as well.  I think Rock Hill has a chance at stealing Woodwinds from Lone Star, and McKinney has a chance at stealing Brass from Lone Star.  It would be interesting to see a shake up!

I havent listened to rock hill but i have listened to mckinney. their brass sound good but i dont think its enough to beat lone stars brass

2 hours ago, Dave609 said:

Excited to say that I will be attending this contest tomorrow! I want to wish the best of luck to all bands competing! I will be there all day.

Will you be doing post or videos like you did for McKinney a couple years ago? Would love to hear how everyone’s doing