UIL 5A Area B 2024

3 hours ago, THAATONESYNTHANDBASSOONKID said:

Where did you find the video? I can't say I'm not surprised if the audio is turned off like someone was told to turn it off when they play.

It was probably recognized by youtube and the audio got taken down. But on this forum someone posted the video of their game and it had their shows in it, but the video got pivated.

36 minutes ago, MyHornIsFrench said:

It was probably recognized by youtube and the audio got taken down. But on this forum someone posted the video of their game and it had their shows in it, but the video got pivated.

maybe there will be a video tonight they have a game vs lebanon trail, to very consistently placing bands in this area. would be a amazing halftime to watch!

Just now, TubaBoi123 said:

maybe there will be a video tonight they have a game vs lebanon trail, to very consistently placing bands in this area. would be a amazing halftime to watch!

I wish I could watch it tonight but I have rehearsal till 8:30 😭😭😭😭 

As someone who works with bands in the area, it would be nice if people would stop sharing videos, and posting them on YouTube. We have to contend with a lot of copyright rules and regulations, and you are putting the bands at risk. If you want to see the band, buy a ticket for a show, or go to a football game. Many bands also are still learning their show, and would appreciate their first impression being on their timeline, not yours.

7 minutes ago, FABob said:

As someone who works with bands in the area, it would be nice if people would stop sharing videos, and posting them on YouTube. We have to contend with a lot of copyright rules and regulations, and you are putting the bands at risk. If you want to see the band, buy a ticket for a show, or go to a football game. Many bands also are still learning their show, and would appreciate their first impression being on their timeline, not yours.

Most if not all are from videos of the football game that was being broadcast on YouTube, especially the 5A bands. Some programs post videos on their own bc they want others to be able to see their performances, normally for family/friends that don’t live close enough to go to a game/comp. But almost every band video on YT is from a broadcast of the game. 

19 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Most if not all are from videos of the football game that was being broadcast on YouTube, especially the 5A bands. Some programs post videos on their own bc they want others to be able to see their performances, normally for family/friends that don’t live close enough to go to a game/comp. But almost every band video on YT is from a broadcast of the game. 

A live broadcast is wildly different than a posted video, both technically and legally. And you’re right, a band may post videos, again, that’s different than people not associated with the band going to a game and putting out a video.

27 minutes ago, FABob said:

A live broadcast is wildly different than a posted video, both technically and legally. And you’re right, a band may post videos, again, that’s different than people not associated with the band going to a game and putting out a video.

Well, I haven't seen any of those types of videos, especially videos of bands in this area, being posted that aren't either broadcast or the band themselves posting the video. And more than not, the directors will let parents know during their show reveal or something else whether or not they can post videos online. But there's literally only the video of Walnut Grove, which was from a broadcast. on this forum, so I'm a little confused as to where your worries are coming from. 

1 hour ago, FABob said:

You're right. Mb 😅

On 8/31/2024 at 9:35 PM, bow_nerd said:

Predictions 

*=State MBC Qualifier

1st-2nd Bubble

🥇Frisco Wakeland HS*: This is one of the most consistently good programs in the state. I've seen snippets of their show and the brass sounds great. Woodwinds sound like they could take their respective caption at state again. However, I don't think their show is something any more innovative than years past, and they may experience a slight plateau or even dip in their competition season results compared to last year. Other than that there's not much else to say. They're Wakeland.

🥈Frisco Lone Star HS*: Drove to their community preview in Frisco. Certainly a noticeable step forward in design. They sound PHENOMENAL for this early in the year, brass section is cranking more than ever before, and it's already cleaner than most, with a tougher book. I think they will once again be a crowd favorite, just from their opener alone. That said I think these top 2 are pretty locked. Lone Star's had nothing but an upward trajectory since 2020. They won here in 2022, though Wakeland was famously not there because of a UIL disqualification. There is also questions on how valid their win in Area Prelims last year was, what with spread-out performance times. However, I think the fact that Lone Star's had their foot in the door for a while there says that Wakeland is no longer untouchable in Area B. I see Wakeland still a little ahead, but I think they could definitely swap some ordinals with each other this year in finals. Lone Star could maybe even be a poor finals performance by Wakeland away from a more "undisputed" Area Championship.

3rd-5th Bubble

🥉Frisco Lebanon Trail HS*: I haven't seen LT yet, but they are a great program with some 5A state experience under their belt. Their show "Fascinating People" appears to be a step in the right direction this year, with a more "outside the box" show concept. I feel like that has been a consistent hold-back for this program, and it took them several years to escape their trend of safe, classical, albeit clean shows. I see some Chick Corea in their repertoire and that makes me excited. What the band staff does in terms of design with the show they've got, is what will make or break them against bands like Argyle, who are pretty heated up after last year's 4th to 5th place movement in finals.

4 McKinney North*: Not seen them yet. A lot of people talk about how this program gets "underscored" in UIL competitions because of their more BOA-oriented show designs. And while I see why people see it that way, I think North has gotten some pretty justifiable UIL scorings over the last few years, maybe even higher than expected. They've been a pretty consistent program since 2022, placing 3rd the last two years at Area, and making the SMBC last year for the first time in a while. I think they've found a neat identity with their jazzy shows and they remind me a lot of the Mandarins in terms of recent show design. I think they could be anywhere in the 3-5 bubble, but we'll see as the year plays out. 

5 Argyle HS: I put this program in 5th because I don't think I'm quite sold on them being fully on par yet with the big 5A bands. What they do have going for them, is lots of historically great state runs and I'm guessing some fired-up students after 2023's Area Finals. While this band IS similar in size to McKinney North, I feel like they still have a bit of 4A blood left in terms of show design, and North uses what they have far more effectively in my opinion. However, I would love for Argyle to prove me dead wrong, because I think they have found the top 5 bubble nice and comfortable these last two years, and are ready to make a swing for a possible top 4 or 3.

I think this top 5 is pretty set and will not be disrupted. 

6-10 Bubble

6 Frisco Independence HS: I think last year was a fluke. They have a great big sound for a smaller band, and they remind me a lot of Argyle, but a little louder.

7 The Colony HS: To be honest I don't really know where this program's headed. They never seem to attract a lot of attention in competition season leading up to this event (but I think they should get more credit), but always seem to end up in the middle-upper finals bubble. I think they'll stay there for now. I see them literally anywhere 6-10, or they could just randomly give Top 5 a small run for its money. 

8 Frisco Emerson HS: They really surprised me last year. I thought early on they'd be a dark horse for finals and ended up right. Lots of talent for a medium-size 5A band, especially being so new. I see them in the 8-12 range.

9 Anna HS: Another 4A band moving up, another with some good state experience. I think they will hover in the 8-14 range.

10 Lucas Lovejoy HS: This band is a lot like The Colony in terms of placement history, but has definitely been more volatile, with some historical 5th, 6ths, then 9ths and non-finals finishes. They consistently do very well in the prior competition season then get snubbed come Area, but I don't think they will break that Top 5 bubble. Anywhere from 6-12 for me.

Finals Bubble (In Descending Order): Frisco Memorial HS, Frisco Centennial HS, Frisco Reedy HS, Frisco Liberty HS, Prosper Walnut Grove HS

HUGE GRAIN OF SALT FOR THIS POST:  It's August. 95% of these are going to be wrong.

I saw Emerson too now. I could see them as high as 5th or 6th, but that depends on if they can actually clean it because it's got some work to do. It'll probably hurt them early season but hopefully they grow to fill those shoes left by the staff. Show concept is there though and I really like the Wild Nights intro. 

Also holy god I was able to see a video of Lonestar's opener from some recent football game (I don't know what week or when but it was at the Cowboys Indoor field in Frisco) but they are seriously looking to make a run for 1st this year, it's loud, it's difficult, and it's clean. Musically and visually

2 hours ago, bow_nerd said:

I saw Emerson too now. I could see them as high as 5th or 6th, but that depends on if they can actually clean it because it's got some work to do. It'll probably hurt them early season but hopefully they grow to fill those shoes left by the staff. Show concept is there though and I really like the Wild Nights intro. 

Also holy god I was able to see a video of Lonestar's opener from some recent football game (I don't know what week or when) but they are seriously looking to make a run for 1st this year, it's loud, it's difficult, and it's clean. Musically and visually

And very loud as well, Lone Star is gonna perform very well at BOA Prosper for sure, honestly theyll be competitive in the 6-9 range which is extremely solid given the depth we have there

I got another chance to watch Melissa and they sound really good musically. But I feel that they have a lot of work to do for marching though, specifically in individual marching (I know it's week 3). Overall though, I'm really enjoying the show!

On 8/31/2024 at 9:35 PM, bow_nerd said:

Predictions 

*=State MBC Qualifier

1st-2nd Bubble

🥇Frisco Wakeland HS*: This is one of the most consistently good programs in the state. I've seen snippets of their show and the brass sounds great. Woodwinds sound like they could take their respective caption at state again. However, I don't think their show is something any more innovative than years past, and they may experience a slight plateau or even dip in their competition season results compared to last year. Other than that there's not much else to say. They're Wakeland.

🥈Frisco Lone Star HS*: Drove to their community preview in Frisco. Certainly a noticeable step forward in design. They sound PHENOMENAL for this early in the year, brass section is cranking more than ever before, and it's already cleaner than most, with a tougher book. I think they will once again be a crowd favorite, just from their opener alone. That said I think these top 2 are pretty locked. Lone Star's had nothing but an upward trajectory since 2020. They won here in 2022, though Wakeland was famously not there because of a UIL disqualification. There is also questions on how valid their win in Area Prelims last year was, what with spread-out performance times. However, I think the fact that Lone Star's had their foot in the door for a while there says that Wakeland is no longer untouchable in Area B. I see Wakeland still a little ahead, but I think they could definitely swap some ordinals with each other this year in finals. Lone Star could maybe even be a poor finals performance by Wakeland away from a more "undisputed" Area Championship.

3rd-5th Bubble

🥉Frisco Lebanon Trail HS*: I haven't seen LT yet, but they are a great program with some 5A state experience under their belt. Their show "Fascinating People" appears to be a step in the right direction this year, with a more "outside the box" show concept. I feel like that has been a consistent hold-back for this program, and it took them several years to escape their trend of safe, classical, albeit clean shows. I see some Chick Corea in their repertoire and that makes me excited. What the band staff does in terms of design with the show they've got, is what will make or break them against bands like Argyle, who are pretty heated up after last year's 4th to 5th place movement in finals.

4 McKinney North*: Not seen them yet. A lot of people talk about how this program gets "underscored" in UIL competitions because of their more BOA-oriented show designs. And while I see why people see it that way, I think North has gotten some pretty justifiable UIL scorings over the last few years, maybe even higher than expected. They've been a pretty consistent program since 2022, placing 3rd the last two years at Area, and making the SMBC last year for the first time in a while. I think they've found a neat identity with their jazzy shows and they remind me a lot of the Mandarins in terms of recent show design. I think they could be anywhere in the 3-5 bubble, but we'll see as the year plays out. 

5 Argyle HS: I put this program in 5th because I don't think I'm quite sold on them being fully on par yet with the big 5A bands. What they do have going for them, is lots of historically great state runs and I'm guessing some fired-up students after 2023's Area Finals. While this band IS similar in size to McKinney North, I feel like they still have a bit of 4A blood left in terms of show design, and North uses what they have far more effectively in my opinion. However, I would love for Argyle to prove me dead wrong, because I think they have found the top 5 bubble nice and comfortable these last two years, and are ready to make a swing for a possible top 4 or 3.

I think this top 5 is pretty set and will not be disrupted. 

6-10 Bubble

6 Frisco Independence HS: I think last year was a fluke. They have a great big sound for a smaller band, and they remind me a lot of Argyle, but a little louder.

7 The Colony HS: To be honest I don't really know where this program's headed. They never seem to attract a lot of attention in competition season leading up to this event (but I think they should get more credit), but always seem to end up in the middle-upper finals bubble. I think they'll stay there for now. I see them literally anywhere 6-10, or they could just randomly give Top 5 a small run for its money. 

8 Frisco Emerson HS: They really surprised me last year. I thought early on they'd be a dark horse for finals and ended up right. Lots of talent for a medium-size 5A band, especially being so new. I see them in the 8-12 range.

9 Anna HS: Another 4A band moving up, another with some good state experience. I think they will hover in the 8-14 range.

10 Lucas Lovejoy HS: This band is a lot like The Colony in terms of placement history, but has definitely been more volatile, with some historical 5th, 6ths, then 9ths and non-finals finishes. They consistently do very well in the prior competition season then get snubbed come Area, but I don't think they will break that Top 5 bubble. Anywhere from 6-12 for me.

Finals Bubble (In Descending Order): Frisco Memorial HS, Frisco Centennial HS, Frisco Reedy HS, Frisco Liberty HS, Prosper Walnut Grove HS

HUGE GRAIN OF SALT FOR THIS POST:  It's August. 95% of these are going to be wrong.

After seeing Walnut Grove at their vs Emerson, I think they’re taking a big jump this season.

Just saw McKinney North, if anyone would like the recording dm me, I honestly really like the show since it feels like a natural evolution from the past 2 years, here's my prediction having heard a decent chunk of the area:

1. Wakeland (sweep)
2. Lone Star
3. McKinney North
4. Lebanon Trail/Emerson
5. Emerson/Lebanon Trail
6. Argyle
7. The Colony
8. Walnut Grove
9. Centennial
10. Anna

10 minutes ago, TrenBS said:

Just saw McKinney North, if anyone would like the recording dm me, I honestly really like the show since it feels like a natural evolution from the past 2 years, here's my prediction having heard a decent chunk of the area:

1. Wakeland (sweep)
2. Lone Star
3. McKinney North
4. Lebanon Trail/Emerson
5. Emerson/Lebanon Trail
6. Argyle
7. The Colony
8. Walnut Grove
9. Centennial
10. Anna

have you seen Emerson, because I don't know if there at the level of LT or Argyle yet, or really a good number of bands here. Ofc Frisco schools are known for getting good fast, but they like just opened. I've seen Lovejoy's show and they are much better than last year. Def not state but I think they'll make finals. Anna's show is good but I think they need time, but obviously we'll get a good look at some of these bands next weekend. 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

have you seen Emerson, because I don't know if there at the level of LT or Argyle yet, or really a good number of bands here. Ofc Frisco schools are known for getting good fast, but they like just opened. I've seen Lovejoy's show and they are much better than last year. Def not state but I think they'll make finals. Anna's show is good but I think they need time, but obviously we'll get a good look at some of these bands next weekend. 

I saw Emerson from a few days ago, legitimately didnt notice the colors and thought I was watching LT, lol. They have a very strong chance at area I feel like personally

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

ik im not really apart of the convo, but I want to chime in and say ultimately I think all of these shows will get better with time. i know it’s common sense, but I feel like some of these shows will do good with the right amount of cleaning and such. sure they wont get to the same “level” as the top band programs, but they’ll have something to be proud of. :)

definitely true the level of cleaning from August to October is like very gradual, but from October to November the cleaning happens very fast and sky rockets just in one month. most school are probably have fully learned there show and have 75% of it without metronome, and some schools are one step ahead and have met out and show fully learned, a great opportunity to see some of this areas school is definitely the FISD marching showcase next Tuesday.

10 hours ago, TrenBS said:

1. Wakeland (sweep)
2. Lone Star
3. McKinney North
4. Lebanon Trail/Emerson
5. Emerson/Lebanon Trail
6. Argyle
7. The Colony
8. Walnut Grove
9. Centennial
10. Anna

Can I get the recording please?

11 hours ago, TrenBS said:

1. Wakeland (sweep)
2. Lone Star
3. McKinney North
4. Lebanon Trail/Emerson
5. Emerson/Lebanon Trail
6. Argyle
7. The Colony
8. Walnut Grove
9. Centennial
10. Anna

I’ve seen Emerson now and ummmm yeah they are ridiculously good, could definitely see them at state