UIL 5A Area B 2024

21 hours ago, MyHornIsFrench said:

These are my current, really really rough predictions for right now. Definitely gonna change a bit.

1. Lone Star

2. Wakeland

3. McKinney North

4. Lebanon Trail

5. Emerson

6. The Colony

7. Argyle

8. Heritage

9. Memorial

10. Independence 

It would be nice to see Heritage and Independence back in finals this year but I think Walnut Grove deserves to be on here as well. Area B last year was such a rainy and cold day which is why I’m assuming Independence didn’t advance to finals even though they were having such a promising season. Has anyone seen a video or has one of Emerson or Argyle? I would like to see their shows please. 🙏

53 minutes ago, jamminsalmon_ said:

It would be nice to see Heritage and Independence back in finals this year but I think Walnut Grove deserves to be on here as well. Area B last year was such a rainy and cold day which is why I’m assuming Independence didn’t advance to finals even though they were having such a promising season. Has anyone seen a video or has one of Emerson or Argyle? I would like to see their shows please. 🙏

Independence's schedule was rough last year as well. They had a late football game the night before and an early performance time. Not only that but it did rain during their performance causing technology issues. Or at least that's what I've heard from my friends.

42 minutes ago, tubaplayer12 said:

This area is madness. Walnut Grove 2nd at McKinney, Reedy above Lebanon at Wylie. I don’t know how this area is going to turn out to be honest.

I have 8 bands that I feel should be finalists here and then like 5 or 6 others who I also could see as finalists. This area will be one of the most shocking in terms of results.

On 10/5/2024 at 11:04 PM, tubaplayer12 said:

This area is madness. Walnut Grove 2nd at McKinney, Reedy above Lebanon at Wylie. I don’t know how this area is going to turn out to be honest.

this might have been the best weekend ever for 5a area bands, lots of amazing representation here

here's some highlights that I have seen so far

wakeland -- 4th @ boa bedford finals

lone star -- 7th @ boa bedford finals

argyle -- 15th in prelims and best in class 2A @ boa bedford

the colony -- 1st @ don hanna finals

lakeview centennial -- 9th @ don hanna finals

walnut grove -- 2nd @ mmi finals

emerson -- 5th @ mmi finals

memorial -- 6th @ mmi finals 

independence -- 7th @ mmi finals

reedy -- 2nd @ wylie finals

LT -- 4th @ wylie finals

7 minutes ago, jamminsalmon_ said:

this might have been the best weekend ever for 5a area bands, lots of amazing representation here

wakeland -- 5th @ boa bedford

lone star -- 10th @ boa bedford

the colony -- 1st @ don hanna

walnut grove -- 2nd @ mmi

emerson -- 5th @ mmi

memorial -- 6th @ mmi

independence -- 7th @ mmi

reedy -- 2nd @ wylie

LT -- 4th @ wylie

I have a feeling McKinney North will still be in, but after seeing how everyone else is doing, I’d say they’re gonna have to fight a lot harder for state. This area beyond insane in depth, it’s by far the most competitive it’s ever been simply because we haven’t ever had so many state level programs all at once. I think Wakeland and Lonestar are still 1 and 2, and that only changes if there’s some random band run or something. And then, there’s literally everyone else. I don’t even want to make predictions bc Ik they’re gonna be wrong, and with this content being so far away, there’s plenty of time for cleaning. Maybe after regions I’ll drop something, idk, we’ll have a better look after next weekend with some bands competing at prosper or Birdville. I believe anything can happen, I’d love for some new faces, but we could see the same 4 as last year go as well, would love to be here but I’ve got a game that weekend. This is a bloodbath of an area 

20 hours ago, jamminsalmon_ said:

wakeland -- 5th @ boa bedford

lone star -- 10th @ boa bedford

the colony -- 1st @ don hanna

lakeview centennial -- 9th @ don hanna

walnut grove -- 2nd @ mmi

emerson -- 5th @ mmi

memorial -- 6th @ mmi

independence -- 7th @ mmi

reedy -- 2nd @ wylie

LT -- 4th @ wylie

You might want to check BOA Bedford results - Wakeland 4th and Lone Star 7th

On 10/6/2024 at 2:55 PM, TromboneMaestro13 said:

I'm going to go ahead and throw out some predictions after this haymaker of a weekend. I don't expect them to stay 100% the same and I'm not going to predict set placements. However I will be placing bands in order from where I think their likely hood of placing is compared to other groups, further to the left means more likely to place higher. Here's a rough list on how I think area is going to turn out:

1&2. Wakeland/Lone Star:

I'm quite confident that these two bands are locked in for state from what I've seen. Their shows are really clean, their music is difficult, and they sound fantastic as an ensemble as well as the soloists.

3-8. McKinney North/Lebanon Trail/Reedy/Argyle/Walnut Grove:

The 3rd and 4th spots are going to be a bloodbath this year from all of the things I've seen. Reedy tying with Lebanon, Walnut Grove placing 2nd at MMI, and Argyle placing one point behind Lebanon at Melissa. I can see any of these groups as a contender for state this year.

9&10. Emerson/The Colony/Memorial/Independence:

This may be my hottest take on this prediction but because this area is so competitive this year I don't see Emerson or The Colony placing super high up in finals. That isn't to say that they aren't working hard or that their band isn't good because their bands are great! It's just that after the McKinney Marching Invitational a lot of things have changed. Also because of the MMI I can see Memorial or Independence making it up in finals above a group or tied with a group like Emerson or The Colony. 

This area is really shaking up to be one of the most competitive years to date for those 4 state spots and even a spot in finals. There are so many good bands in 5a Area B and I can't wait to see how this contest turns out!

Area B will be brutal this year, 1st and 2nd seem like locks but as of right now it seems to be anyone’s game just to make finals.

44 minutes ago, TLM1098 said:

Any changes in predictions after this weekend's comps? im an Emerson patent so im biased lol. We placed 6th in finals at Birdville. This was the first time to perform our complete show so curious what others thought

This is definitely going to change but here’s what I have

1 Wakeland + caption sweep

2 Lone Star

3 McKinney North/ Walnut Grove

4 MN/ WG

5 Lebanon Trail

6 Emerson

7 Argyle

8 Independence

9 The colony

10 Memorial/ Reedy

17 minutes ago, bandbronco99 said:

2 Lone Star

4 MN/ WG

5 Lebanon Trail

6 Emerson

7 Argyle

8 Independence

9 The colony

10 Memorial/ Reedy

Have you seen Reedy's show this year? I went to WMI and they beat LT by a good margin from what I've heard. I would put them in the top 5. 

25 minutes ago, bandbronco99 said:

2 Lone Star

4 MN/ WG

5 Lebanon Trail

6 Emerson

7 Argyle

8 Independence

9 The colony

10 Memorial/ Reedy

I would place Argyle and Reedy above Lebanon Trail this year with both having a chance of being 4th.

30 minutes ago, bandbronco99 said:

2 Lone Star

4 MN/ WG

5 Lebanon Trail

6 Emerson

7 Argyle

8 Independence

9 The colony

10 Memorial/ Reedy

I think the top 4 is pretty accurate but I’d move Frisco Reedy Up a fair bit. I’m interested to see if Walnut Grove will beat North.

1 hour ago, bandbronco99 said:

2 Lone Star

4 MN/ WG

5 Lebanon Trail

6 Emerson

7 Argyle

8 Independence

9 The colony

10 Memorial/ Reedy

I personally think that the top 2 are most likely going to be the same. However, I do think that 3-10 could be in almost any order and that any of these bands could make finals. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of these bands didn't make finals and some other Frisco school made finals here instead.

I’m new to this kind of stuff but I could see rankings as

1. Wakeland

2. Lone star

3. MN/lebanon trail

4. MN/ Lebanon trail/

5. The colony

6. Argyle

7. Emerson

8. Walnut grove

9. Reedy

10. Independence 

again my list could be totally wrong, I’m just going off of placements from comps and previous years. Lmk if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on my list.

I feel like its almost impossible to make anywhere close to accurate predictions for this comp at this point. Pretty much everyone has been doing well in this area, with many programs having their best season yet. I don't even think I'm gonna make a list, and just do guesses minus top 2. Ik some bands beat others at comps, but we have to remember all of these bands have had plenty of time to clean, but I don't think those comps mean nothings. With pretty much everyone done minus region till Area for 5A, here's my guess at this one: 

1st. Wakeland 

2nd. Lonestar 

3rd-8th in random order: 

Argyle, Reedy, Mckinney North, Walnut Grove, Emerson, The Colony, Lebanon Trial,

Last Two:

Independence/Memorial/Lovejoy/Heritage

At this point, it's going to come down to whose got the better runs the day of, and ofc the judges. A lot of contenders for the last few spots have earlier draw times, which I feel has more of an impact than some other contest, so brining your A game will be key here. This is one of if not the most competitive version of this area, and it's going to be an insane race for those last two spots!! 

Going off of BOA prosper/ MMI scores I think this could shape out to be the placements. The back half probably isn't the most accurate, I have poor knowledge of the other frisco bands.

Mckinney North BOA Prosper - 76.825 TOT - 14.85 MUS - 15.225 VIS - 30.65 GE MUS - 16.1 GE VIs

Prosper Walnut BOA - 75.700 - 15.15 MUS - 15.45 VIS - 29.10 GE MUS - 16.0 GE VIS

1st Frisco Wakeland (Sweep)

2nd Frisco Lone Star - Could have a run at 1st given a wakeland stumble

3rd McKinney North (tie)

3rd Prosper Walnut (tie) 

5th Frisco Reedy* (All interchangeable)

6th Argyle*

7th Frisco Emerson* 

8th Frisco Lebanon Trail

9th Lewisville The Colony

10th Frisco Independence