Division 1 corps in TEXAS!

Moose

Ok guys, I wanna make one thing perfectly clear. This is NOT 100% final. Only like 99%. If for some small reason the board decides not to, I don't want everyone to flame me. Ok here we go:

Last night I recieved an email from the drum major of the 2006 Crossmen Drum and Bugle Corps. The email confirmed everything I had been hearing for the past few months.

After the 2006 season ended, YEA! (Cadets and Crossmen) was under some serious debt problems. YEA! looked over many solutions, and the best one was to put the Crossmen up for sale. This was the only way to keep the corps from folding.

Now part II: What does this have to do with Texas?

Well, some wealthy band parent in San Antonio thought there should be a Division 1 Drum Corps in Texas. He talked to the band directors of his school, and he ultimately purchased the Crossmen. I dont feel comfortably releasing the band director and/or schools name, but Im sure someone will guess it anyway.

I know no details, but the corps is LIKELY to move to San Antonio.

The board votes on it today, there will be alot of resistance, but I think George Hopkins will get his way.

The are SUPPOSED to release it to the public today, but if they don't, I'm sure there is some good reason why.

This is VERY exciting news.... I can't even wait to see what will happen with this.

EDIT: An email from George Hopkins today says that this information will be released to the public now on Thursday.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprsied if Mark Chambers or Albert Lo contributed to this heavily. As Danpod said, this could be a huge thing for Texas. A "local" division I corps would be an amazing experience, and the Crossmen would bring just that to the table. You can bet that if SA is the focus point, that Reagan and Churchill kids will dominate for awhile, but you can bet on kids from all over Texaswould jump on this opprotunity. This could mean a lot for Texas music.

Dan is right, It was a Reagan Band parent and Mark Chambers.

The Crossmen only had 4 members from Texas in 06. One of them in the percussion section is from nearby Seguin, Texas. Im thinking the Crossmen will have alot of amazingly talented rookies for next year.

I wouldn't be surprsied if Mark Chambers or Albert Lo contributed to this heavily. As Danpod said, this could be a huge thing for Texas. A "local" division I corps would be an amazing experience, and the Crossmen would bring just that to the table. You can bet that if SA is the focus point, that Reagan and Churchill kids will dominate for awhile, but you can bet on kids from all over Texaswould jump on this opprotunity. This could mean a lot for Texas music.

I disagree on the whole "focus point," being "Reagan and Churchill kids." They're good. They're from SA. But that would be dumb to turn down other (more capable) marchers just to feed NEISD. No one is THAT bias.

There are good bands all over texas, and there are not so good bands that have incredible players. You have to be a good individual marcher and player to make it. You can't assume your schools reputation as your talent.

It's not like SA is a faaar drive away from almost anywhere with the exception of Dallas. Relatively speaking, it's really close. So I doubt there will be any "focus point" other than it being based in SA.

I disagree on the whole "focus point," being "Reagan and Churchill kids." They're good. They're from SA. But that would be dumb to turn down other (more capable) marchers just to feed NEISD. No one is THAT bias.

There are good bands all over texas, and there are not so good bands that have incredible players. You have to be a good individual marcher and player to make it. You can't assume your schools reputation as your talent.

It's not like SA is a faaar drive away from almost anywhere with the exception of Dallas. Relatively speaking, it's really close. So I doubt there will be any "focus point" other than it being based in SA.

I agree.

The problem for talented kids in Texas that wanted to march division 1 drum corps was that not only did they have to pay the corps tour fees, but also plane tickets to and from every winter camp at about 200$ a pop. Thats over 1000 extra dollars that their families had to pay. This is an opportunity for kids from all over Texas to march drum corps without the extra fees from plane tickets. And let me tell ya, they do add up.

Here's to The Crossmen in finals in 07, showing the Nation that band in Texas really IS better. :D

I agree.

The problem for talented kids in Texas that wanted to march division 1 drum corps was that not only did they have to pay the corps tour fees, but also plane tickets to and from every winter camp at about 200$ a pop. Thats over 1000 extra dollars that their families had to pay. This is an opportunity for kids from all over Texas to march drum corps without the extra fees from plane tickets. And let me tell ya, they do add up.

Here's to The Crossmen in finals in 07, showing the Nation that band in Texas really IS better. :D

that IS inTENSE!!! DAAAAAAAAAAANG!

I can see a lot of Reagan kids signing up for this just because they would already have a good raport with the staff. Then again, a surprisingly small amount of Reagan and Churchill kids do drum corps because their fall marching seasons are so intense that it's hard to keep that enthusiasm going year-round.

I can't tell you how excited I am right now! If they do come here, I would gladly volunteer my time to help the organization out in any way possible.

Am I ready to put them in 2007 Finals in Pasadena???? Look for a podcast soon and I'll tell ya ^_^

The board votes on it today, there will be alot of resistance, but I think George Hopkins will get his way.

I can't see there being much resistance at all. There are many people that have wanted the Crossmen free from Yea! for a long, long time... including me. The only negative is the corps tradition with the Pennsylvania/New Jersey area, Allentown and all that, but I don't really care about it too much, I'm from Texas. If George Hopkins had his way, he'd get to keep the Crossmen.

I remember the long time drum major Rebecca Terry (sp?), once said that the reasons she buys lottery tickets, is so that one day when she wins, she could buy the crossmen. I guess now she won't have to.

As a guy who flew up to the midwest for some drum corps audition camps (and HATED THE COLD WEATHER), I can really see how great it would be to have a Texan corps...Spirit and Crown wouldn't be the south's only heavy hitters...in a couple of years, Crossmen would be the top dogs in the South, and they'd do it with that vibe that rivals SCV!

Pretty soon, them Yanks would fly down south to get some of that Tejano playn'!

Oh, please let them come down South!

So.......

IT'S OFFICIAL!

Crossmen will be in San Antonio TX from 2007 beyond!

The alumni meeting was last night. Many are sad, but they know this is the best descision for the bones. YEA! is phasing out of the Crossmen, but will still be helping and kind of fading away until the organization is stable by itself.

Audition's you ask? I'm not sure, look for the press release today.

When all else is gone, the BONES always remain...

I think it goes without saying that this will be "Bigger than Big" in all of Texas. I also agree with previous posters that the audition camps this year COULD be the largest seen in any D-I Corps for the past 10 years. Will it be dominated by Reagan kids? Ya think???

HOWEVER!!! I also think that every all-state kid, DCI Vet, DCI Wanna-Be Vet will be paying VERY VERY close attention to camp info and audition requirements. This is a tremendous opportunity that only comes along once in......well forget it because it NEVER comes along like this.

Go X-Men!!!

QUOTE (Band_Freak @ Sep 22 2006, 08:51 AM)
Will it be dominated by Reagan kids? Ya think???

No, and that shouldn't be in a concern at all.

The talent pool here in Texas is incredible. Us as Texans know that by now. To choose one member over another prospective member because he/she attends Ronald Reagan....I doubt Mark Chambers and crew will operate the Crossmen organization that way. Also, keep in mind that drum corps is brass and percussion only...no woodwinds. I doubt Xmen will be dominated by Reagan band members. Maybe a few kids but nothing major in numbers.

Most of the best members in some of the top few corps did not participate in BOA or other major events, and were in a so-so band program. That's why a lot of these kids move on to drum corps. They were not completely satisfied with their marching experience in high school....so they move on.

Just an example....

The Cavaliers and Carmel HS, IN have a connection. Very, very few Carmel members march with the Cavaliers.

Same applies to Avon HS, IN and the Carolina Crown.