Texas Marching Classic - 10/12/2024 - Kelly Reeves

Forney unfortunately will no longer be attending this contest which is such a bummer cause the director was excited talking to me about this. I heard of this through friends at the school and such. I’m upset for them, but I know they’ll do such a good job to push through the last part of the season! :)

8 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Forney unfortunately will no longer be attending this contest which is such a bummer cause the director was excited talking to me about this. I heard of this through friends at the school and such. I’m upset for them, but I know they’ll do such a good job to push through the last part of the season! :)

Dang this really sucks. Are they by chance going to a different competition this day, maybe the Prosper regional?

8 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Dang this really sucks. Are they by chance going to a different competition this day, maybe the Prosper regional?

Nope, no contest that day. I know why they decided to pull out, but I’d rather that be up to the current band band members to say. However, they’re doing a rehearsal that day and a performance (I think).

On 9/30/2024 at 10:08 PM, Band1234556 said:

1. Vandegrift 

2. Ronald Reagan  

3. Rouse

4. Vista Ridge 

5. Leander 

6. Westwood

7. Round Rock

8. Dripping Spring

9. Moe and Gene

10. James Bowie 

11. Hendrickson 

12. Forney

It's so hard to tell how the bottom 7 is going to play out bc we can't really predict if they haven't gone head to head yet with some going to San Marcos and some going to Round Rock, stacked comp.

1. Vandegrift 

2. Ronald Reagan  

3. Rouse

4. Vista Ridge 

5. Dripping Springs

6. Westwood

7. Leander

8. Round rock

9. Moe and Gene

10. James Bowie 

11. Hendrickson 

12. Mcneil

Change in prediction, after the festival or bands for lisd and rrisd I think Mcneil deserves a finals spot, dripping springs is also cooking so I think they might see a top 6 finish

3 hours ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

That’s a bummer. Was looking forward to seeing how they paired up with the Austin Area schools. 

Was just looking at the Forney football schedule and things really were working out for them. Next year, October travel will be rough because they will experience what Rockwall is having to do this October…..Road football games all the way out to Longview and Tyler, just to have early call times Saturday mornings for band contest. 

This year, Rockwall is going to Longview Friday night, then out to McKinney Saturday. Then in a few weeks they will go too Tyler, and then down to Ducanville the next morning. Bless these kids and prayers for traveling protections. 

Does anybody here think that McNeil winning vista ridge and beating westlake changes anything. I know westlake isn’t going to this competition but they beat some formidable bands at round rock but it’s also hard to tell if they messed up or they rushed and tried to finish their show instead of holding back and making it clean

With the rather wild results from south Houston this past weekend, I'm wondering how that changes the TMC outlook. Reagan going from up almost three points in prelims to down by a point in finals to Pearland was bizarre and unexpected. I wonder if this will provide added motivation for them at this contest for redemption.

1 minute ago, Band1234556 said:

Does anybody here think that McNeil winning vista ridge and beating westlake changes anything. I know westlake isn’t going to this competition but they beat some formidable bands at round rock but it’s also hard to tell if they messed up or they rushed and tried to finish their show instead of holding back and making it clean

I saw McNeil's show at halftime during the last football game and it was pretty great. I'd love to see them make finals (which I'm confident they will) and see if they can finish in the top half of finals like last year (which I think they have a legitimate shot at doing). That said, I'm not sure how likely they are to beat: Reagan, Rouse, Vista, Vandy, Dripping Springs, or Bowie. (beating Bowie might be their best shot to make top half)

For not being an "official BOA" contest, this has to be one of the most stacked contests all year, and probably as competitive as almost any BOA regional.

4 hours ago, Band1234556 said:

I think it's going to be difficult for McNeil to crack the top 6...but that doesn't necessarily mean McNeil took a step back over last year.  It'll be difficult because this year TMC will have IMO this most competitive lineup TMC has had since the pandemic. There's going to be some good bands this year who would have qualified for finals at prior contests who will not qualify for finals this year.  

So McNeil making finals THIS YEAR will be a big accomplishment...and I think they will do it.

On 10/2/2024 at 6:57 PM, clarinetistkai05 said:

Did Forney compete somewhere 10/5, if so, how did they do?

18 minutes ago, berinskygaming said:

Curious, MacNeil will be Powerdul Competitor Here. likely Top 1 Over San Antonio Ronald Reagan Memorial High School. Musical Prowess in Round rock

I love McNeil's show but I would be shocked if they cracked the top 6.  

22 minutes ago, bchorn said:

I love McNeil's show but I would be shocked if they cracked the top 6.  

Regardless of the odd trolling, I think they stand a decent shot for fifth or sixth.

It’ll be about overcoming a few of the top half bubble bands (RR, DS, WW) but I think there’s a world where it happens. 

They have a shorter window to clean with their St. Louis trip so if they meet their goals I can see them overtaking the other bands that still have a month to clean for SA and UIL. McNeil just has to have their show top notch much sooner. Even if the others overtake them after I think they could have an edge at this specific contest.

43 minutes ago, lost said:

Regardless of the odd trolling, I think they stand a decent shot for fifth or sixth.

It’ll be about overcoming a few of the top half bubble bands (RR, DS, WW) but I think there’s a world where it happens. 

They have a shorter window to clean with their St. Louis trip so if they meet their goals I can see them overtaking the other bands that still have a month to clean for SA and UIL. McNeil just has to have their show top notch much sooner. Even if the others overtake them after I think they could have an edge at this specific contest.

McNeil finished third to Dripping Springs and Bowie at BOA San Marcos this year...so when I factor in Vandy, Rouse, Vista Ridge, and Reagan, it becomes difficult for me to see how McNeil can cross into that top 6 group.

1 hour ago, berinskygaming said:

Geeking, . 

Mac Neil Has Compete at high level here previous year. 

Yes, McNeil finished sixth last year.  But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, this year's TMC will be the most competitive lineup TMC has had since the pandemic.  

I think it would be great if McNeil finished in the top 6.  I'm just skeptical it will happen against this year's competition.

1 hour ago, bchorn said:

McNeil finished third to Dripping Springs and Bowie at BOA San Marcos this year...so when I factor in Vandy, Rouse, Vista Ridge, and Reagan, it becomes difficult for me to see how McNeil can cross into that top 6 group.

I think you need to learn to read posts completely.

Different contest two weeks after, different sheets. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility McNeil overtakes Bowie and DS despite losing to them previously. It was decently close. 

Your post history shows a weird fixation on McNeil. Unsure what that is about.

On 10/2/2024 at 10:05 PM, Band1234556 said:

1. Vandegrift 

2. Ronald Reagan  

3. Rouse

4. Vista Ridge 

5. Dripping Springs

6. Westwood

7. Leander

8. Round rock

9. Moe and Gene

10. James Bowie 

11. Hendrickson 

12. Mcneil

Change in prediction, after the festival or bands for lisd and rrisd I think Mcneil deserves a finals spot, dripping springs is also cooking so I think they might see a top 6 finish

For what it’s worth:

- Your top 4, in any order, are probably pretty solid

- Dripping Springs in the top 5 is a safe bet

- Bowie and McNeil are probably too low (e.g. both already beat Hendrickson and M&G Johnson in San Marcos)

- Brandeis or Churchill could get in over Hendrickson

McNeil is a real wild card here since they beat Westlake (who pretty comfortably beat Round Rock, Westwood, and Leander two weeks ago) and took music captions two weeks in a row (in prelims vs. DS/Bowie, in prelims and finals vs. Westlake). I think Bowie, McNeil, Westwood, Round Rock, Leander, and M&G Johnson will be very close together in scoring, and I don’t think any order would surprise me. 

2 hours ago, lost said:

I think you need to learn to read posts completely.

Different contest two weeks after, different sheets. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility McNeil overtakes Bowie and DS despite losing to them previously. It was decently close. 

Your post history shows a weird fixation on McNeil. Unsure what that is about.

Ok..that's fair.  My understanding of TMC is that they bring in BOA judges and have sheets that are comparable to BOA judging.  Not exactly the same but similar.  That's what I was basing my comments on.

Attempted finals predictions for this competition. Good luck to everyone competing here, having this and prosper on the same day, crazy. Probably the two hardest regular regionals/local comps coemptions of the year. Anyways, here's my guess: 

1st. Vandegrift-sweep

2nd. Ronald Reagan 

3rd. Rouse 

4th. Vista Ridge

5th. Dripping Springs 

6th. Leander 

7th. James Bowie 

8th. McNeil 

9th Round Rock/Westwood

10th. Westwood/Round Rock

11th. Hendrickson/MG Johnson

12th. MG Johnson. Hendrickson 

Fighting for finals: Cy-woods, Winston Churchill, Brandies, 

A lot of bands are gonna get left out, and that's the unfortunate truth. The depth here is insane, don't know how the judges are gonna do it, would love a 5 way or even more for 12th, best of luck out there yall