Texas Marching Classic - 10/12/2024 - Kelly Reeves

1 hour ago, tpt_2027 said:

How do we think Glenn is going to do? They have been doing pretty decent so far...

Not a chance they're in finals sadly. Maybe a class placement, I forget if this contest does UIL classifications or their own. I think they have a chance at state down the line if they hold off Liberty Hill.

I know Glenn has had some staff turnover and they are building their way back. I was told by someone involved in the band that they didn’t do any BOA comps and significantly fewer comps this year simply because they paid for so many last year that they didn’t even place in. They do look better than last year, however!

9 minutes ago, berinskygaming said:

Likely due to an misunderstanding at making finals in boa Bedford aka Boa Dallas Mid Cicites.

A former Forney member mentioned last week before BOA Bedford that they had pulled out. 

What was the misunderstanding at BOA B though?

19 hours ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

A former Forney member mentioned last week before BOA Bedford that they had pulled out. 

What was the misunderstanding at BOA B though?

Forney had a chance at making finals, no doubt about that. I don’t know what this person is referring to about misunderstanding because when I had talked to the directors months prior they were confident in TMC and Bedford. I don’t know what shifted, but again I would like current members to sort of give a sense of reason because I don’t like assuming.

12 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Forney had a chance at making finals, no doubt about that. I don’t know what this person is referring to about misunderstanding because when I had talked to the directors months prior they were confident in TMC and Bedford. I don’t know what shifted, but again I would like current members to sort of give a sense of reason because I don’t like assuming.

I have no idea myself but wonder if dropping out had to do with the cost of travel right now. 🤷 

Just now, JFNDOWBFAN said:

I have no idea myself but wonder if dropping out had to do with the cost of travel right now. 🤷 

Yeah that’s what I was assuming it was; however knowing how the band works, I know the funds would have been allocated towards travel. I really do not know what the ultimate reason could have been, but likely travel maybe had a factor. I hate assuming because I don’t want the wrong information getting out, especially a program that I am affiliated with.

On 10/7/2024 at 9:51 AM, Tubalord11 said:

Attempted finals predictions for this competition. Good luck to everyone competing here, having this and prosper on the same day, crazy. Probably the two hardest regular regionals/local comps coemptions of the year. Anyways, here's my guess: 

1st. Vandegrift-sweep

2nd. Ronald Reagan 

3rd. Rouse 

4th. Vista Ridge

5th. Dripping Springs 

6th. Leander 

7th. James Bowie 

8th. McNeil

9th. Westlake 

10th Round Rock/Westwood

11th. Westwood/Round Rock

12th- Hendrickson/MG Johnson/Brandies/Churchill/Cy-Woods 

A lot of bands are gonna get left out, and that's the unfortunate truth. The depth here is insane, don't know how the judges are gonna do it, would love a 5 way or even more for 12th, best of luck out there yall 

Westlake is not going

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

This is such a great contest, even with the slightly weird weighting of the captions. TMC always gets a panel of really experienced BOA/DCI/WGI judges. Looks like they nabbed all 3 of the main BOA chief judge team this year.

Looking at the lineup, it's easy to see why someone would be eager to judge this contest -- so many outstanding programs.

Vandegrift will likely dominate. I don't think they'll encounter much of a challenge until late-season, when they meet the Lewisville ISD powerhouses and maybe a Houston band -- or 2, if we're really fortunate!

The most interesting thing for me will be seeing if Reagan is challenged at all by Rouse and Vista Ridge. I also wish Cedar Park were competing, because I think they'd be another strong challenger. For the record, I think Reagan's show is very cool, with lots of effective moments. It's just that in prelims at Webster, for me anyway, it seemed a little freewheeling from a design and performance standpoint. Curious to see how much they've honed the show in a week. It may be more of a late-bloomer.

What do you mean by “freewheeling”? Like improv? 

29 minutes ago, BandMom75 said:

What do you mean by “freewheeling”? Like improv? 

No, a little freewheeling as in a little freewheeling, which means "unrestrained" or "loose". In this context, it refers to the way the show sometimes flits from one musical idea to the next in an unrestrained sort of way. Similarly, the performance is a little lacking in control, based on the Webster prelims performance. Nevertheless, the show has many wonderful qualities as well, which will shine even brighter as the season progresses and they continue to clean. They may even make a big splash at this contest. Who knows!

8 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

No, a little freewheeling as in a little freewheeling, which means "unrestrained" or "loose". In this context, it refers to the way the show sometimes flits from one musical idea to the next in an unrestrained sort of way. Similarly, the performance is a little lacking in control, based on the Webster prelims performance. Nevertheless, the show has many wonderful qualities as well, which will shine even brighter as the season progresses and they continue to clean. They may even make a big splash at this contest. Who knows!

Oh yes I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining! 

24 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

tbf, most bands' perfs are pretty "loose" right now LOL. also this show from Reagan seems waaaay harder than usual, going off my patchy memory. AND they had a director change!!

Reagan's kinda sorta maybe reminds me of their 2005 show, the way it jumps around. kinda classic Reagan. maybe not as baked into the theme this yr, but at least all the melodies u hear one after another are "angelic", like Ave Maria and amazing grace.

40 minutes ago, packwick said:

tbf, most bands' perfs are pretty "loose" right now LOL. also this show from Reagan seems waaaay harder than usual, going off my patchy memory. AND they had a director change!!

Reagan's kinda sorta maybe reminds me of their 2005 show, the way it jumps around. kinda classic Reagan. maybe not as baked into the theme this yr, but at least all the melodies u hear one after another are "angelic", like Ave Maria and amazing grace.

I agree about this year’s show being harder. It’s different from the last few years for sure. They just learned the last part of the show last week like Im sure most of the other bands did as well. I am loving the music and the angels wings at the end. Will be interesting to see how the show evolves. Having 2 new directors (head and woodwinds) may also play a factor. Sea like lots of director changes lately. It’s definitely a demanding job. 

On 10/8/2024 at 7:11 PM, packwick said:

oh also i think w/ Reagan what we might maybe get is a woodlands '22 situation, w/ the new director + ppl not as gung ho about the show right away. then we get to late season, and bam, like, woah, this really came together!!

Agreed. Seeing one of their first games I really liked the show but they seemed a bit behind on learning and cleaning in general. This isn't exactly foreign territory for them though.