Texas Marching Classic - 10/12/2024 - Kelly Reeves

My personal favorites of the night were:

Reagan - Is this a Lucifer show? Can someone better at interpreting shows explain this to me? Regardless it was awesome: The religious overtones, the dancers, the soloists. Such a well designed show. If they can clean it, I think it could become one of the all time "classic shows".

Cy Wood - Had me hooked start to end. So clean as well.

Rouse - I love hearing high caliber bands take on Toccata and Fugue. Marcus definitely set the standard (and a very high one at that). I'd love to see where this show goes in a couple weeks. Also, those were the nicest guard outfits I've ever seen.

Round Rock - I was getting very Phantom 2008 vibes from the show and the uniforms. Strikingly clean despite exposing themselves with the white outfits  

3 hours ago, FEDude said:

My favorite shows from first half were Cy Woods, Westwood, and McNeil.

Westwood was very good all around. They do look smaller than I remember them being though. Anyone have any insider info?

Westwood is getting smaller and its unfortunately probably due to the academic pressure, people are worried that band will tank their GPA but Westwood is still good. Also 4th in drums for prelims and 5th in finals, pretty wild. Mcneil and Westwood with those great percussion programs

1 hour ago, Bandmanio said:

Area D 6A is going to be a bloodbath this year!

Area D 6A has got to be the most up and down area, go check out the forum. About 3 weeks to clean until then, potential state from Area D are Mcneil, Westwood, DS, RR, Reagan, Bowie, CTJ, Cedar Ridge. So stacked

7 hours ago, Rubisco said:

I'm happy to see James Bowie and Cypress Woods do so well here. It should be a confidence booster.

yeah, every time Bowie wasn’t called for a placement, you could see the Bowie parents looking at each other in shock. I heard one of them mutter “maybe we’re beating Vandy tonight” 🤣🤣🤣

35 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

I find myself agreeing with the overall placements and margins in pre lims more than finals, but I think it’s clear everyone brought their A game in the night show. 

Razor thin margins all around, the race for those last 4 spots in SA finals is going to be VERY tight. 

prelims was crazy a 2.8 point gap between 1st and 2nd and decent gaps throughout the rest of the placements as well

Looking through the captions and noticed that Vandi won the "Color Guard" caption.  I wonder if the Color Guard Caption Rubric should have more on diversity and difficulty in use of "weapons" as it was a "Color Guard" caption in this contest.  While Vandi's Vision Dance Co. is great at dance and provides some excellent visual effects (and as such did very well adding GE and Visual to the performance) it doesn't match Regan for "Color Guard" as it would be judged in WGI or TCGC as it's not a Color Guard per se but a Dance Team.

Anybody wanna talk abt Mcneil and Westwood perc...How are these two previously not-so-high-scoring band programs getting top 4 in perc right next to Vista who has Brian perez, a Boston crusaders staff member, a group that came oh so close to a Sanford this past year and Vandy whose perc director, Joe Hobbs, is writing for Carolina Crown. Any thoughts on this?????? Both Mcneil and Westwood going to the Lonestar drumline contest

50 minutes ago, Band1234556 said:

Anybody wanna talk abt Mcneil and Westwood perc...How are these two low end programs getting top 4 in perc right next to Vista who has Brian perez, a Boston crusaders staff member, a group that came oh so close to a Sanford this past year and Vandy whose perc director, Joe Hobbs, is writing for Carolina Crown. Any thoughts on this?????? Both Mcneil and Westwood going to the Lonestar drumline contest

Let's maybe not use the phrasing "low end program". I will say DCI Success /=/ HS Marching Success. The skillsets are deceivingly very very very different. 

9 minutes ago, lost said:

Let's maybe not use the phrasing "low end program". I will say DCI Success /=/ HS Marching Success. The skillsets are deceivingly very very very different. 

Well, i didn't mean in a demeaning way just they haven't seen as much competitive success but I applaud both percussion programs coming in and throwing it down despite not having as big of a name as the other bands. Also what makes you say the Dci and High school success differ bc if Vandy and Vista got first and second don't you think them having staff from top 5 drum corps have something to do with that

1 hour ago, Band1234556 said:

Anybody wanna talk abt Mcneil and Westwood perc...How are these two previously not-so-high-scoring band programs getting top 4 in perc right next to Vista who has Brian perez, a Boston crusaders staff member, a group that came oh so close to a Sanford this past year and Vandy whose perc director, Joe Hobbs, is writing for Carolina Crown. Any thoughts on this?????? Both Mcneil and Westwood going to the Lonestar drumline contest

@lostis this better wording(not trying to be rude or disrespectful, just trying to improve my wording so Im not coming off as demeaning in the future)

2 hours ago, Band1234556 said:

To be fair, McNeil perc director is the director of RF independent world and front caption head for the blue stars, also some other noticeable staff like the cadets center (rip 🙏)

As for Westwood, they do also have a pretty strong staff (the first half of the season most of their staff was actually gone because they were away working with dci groups)

And at least percussion-wise, McNeil got 3rd and 5th at TMC last year as opposed to this years 2nd and 3rd so their percussion has been up there

And yeah, Lonestar comp last year McNeil got 3rd behind vista and coppell up a division and they're better now so should be some more good competition this year