Football šŸˆ Halftime Shows

KELLER VS MARCUSĀ 

Since Keller didnā€™t perform their part 2, I can only comment on their part 1.

Not gonna lie, Kellers part 1 may be one of the most physically exhausting openers Iā€™ve ever seen. They are spread out all over the field, and there are a lot of marchers that go off the field. There are jazz runs, flutters with choreo (over a 20-30ish yard span, runouts into a curve-linear, and so much form awareness.

Musically, they sound great (as always). Their hornline is amazing, and they have two very good flute soloists. Thereā€™s some minor tweaks that need to happen which Iā€™m sure they will hit and clean so Iā€™m not worried whatsoever. The biggest challenge with this opener is that since they do so much physically, itā€™s hard to not sound tired, which isnā€™t a problem now but if they can 100% nail it, itā€™ll be super impressive.

Visually, they move like a completely different band. Visual performance has always been Kellers weakness, but this year they look really good and really clean. Thereā€™s a few choreo spots they have to iron out, but in terms of drill, itā€™s stupid clean (especially since they are running around for half the time).

Canā€™t wait till I see this with props and no technology issues, congratulations Keller!

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

KELLER VS MARCUSĀ 

Since Keller didnā€™t perform their part 2, I can only comment on their part 1.

Not gonna lie, Kellers part 1 may be one of the most physically exhausting openers Iā€™ve ever seen. They are spread out all over the field, and there are a lot of marchers that go off the field. There are jazz runs, flutters with choreo (over a 20-30ish yard span, runouts into a curve-linear, and so much form awareness.

Musically, they sound great (as always). Their hornline is amazing, and they have two very good flute soloists. Thereā€™s some minor tweaks that need to happen which Iā€™m sure they will hit and clean so Iā€™m not worried whatsoever. The biggest challenge with this opener is that since they do so much physically, itā€™s hard to not sound tired, which isnā€™t a problem now but if they can 100% nail it, itā€™ll be super impressive.

Visually, they move like a completely different band. Visual performance has always been Kellers weakness, but this year they look really good and really clean. Thereā€™s a few choreo spots they have to iron out, but in terms of drill, itā€™s stupid clean (especially since they are running around for half the time).

Canā€™t wait till I see this with props and no technology issues, congratulations Keller!

Sounds impressive! Rockwall often does pep band stuff the first few games but has hit the ground running this year!

1 hour ago, Vandy_Insider said:

First performance minus preshow.

Ā 

Looking good so far!

haven't missed a beat. another beast of a show. look at all that marching and playing!! šŸ‘€ almostĀ like the 90s and early 00s. nostalgiaaaa...

gonna be a hard one to clean, but they always get cleaner than i think they will.

Vandegrift's performers are just flying around again, while playing a billion notes. This is going to be a major flex when they clean it. Chasing Infinity. I definitely see the infinity symbol pop up a couple of times. They've got the speed and the follow-the-leader drill for the "chasing" part, although it does look a lot like their previous drill programs.

1 hour ago, packwick said:

woodlands show is cool.

What's it about?

9 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Vandegrift's performers are just flying around again, while playing a billion notes. This is going to be a major flex when they clean it. Chasing Infinity. I definitely see the infinity symbol pop up a couple of times. They've got the speed and the follow-the-leader drill for the "chasing" part, although it does look a lot like their previous drill programs.

What's it about?

Apparently TWā€™s show is called Fantasia on Frenchman Street so Iā€™m imagining a lively and jazzy New Orleans street scene.

On 8/13/2024 at 3:01 PM, Houston213 said:

I think it would be very difficult for Cypress Woods to beat any of the legacies that Packwick mentioned in his post above. This line up is super packed with great bands and not all of them will appear in finals. Cypress Woods might have placed 3 out of finals last year but we also must consider the absence of Keller, Coppell, Hebron, and Flower Mound who didn't attend last year but will this year. It would be lovely to see Cypress Woods join Bridgeland as a BOASA finalist, but this year will be tough to do so.Ā 

Ā 

12 hours ago, Vandy_Insider said:

First performance minus preshow.

Ā 

Looking good so far!

I have obsessively watched Vandy's show from last year because I loved it so much. And I note a lot of musical parallels between that show and this video. A lot of the "pa pa pa pa pa" articulation spots sound exactly the same as last year. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just interesting.

They look very clean for this early in the year.

reagan still great. might even like it a little more than this time last yr. hard to judge the quality of music tho 'cause the audio was streamed through a potato, but look and feel and energy is similar. huge full field drill w/ lots of bodies and symmetry. fallen?? like a fallen angel, maybe? kinda celestial sounding, maybe some angle wings in that opening drill? opens w/ symphonie fantastique chimes, then gets quite poppy/Reaganesque, before Verdi requiem kicks in.

5 minutes ago, packwick said:

reagan still great. might even like it a little more than this time last yr. hard to judge the quality of music tho 'cause the audio was streamed through a potato, but look and feel and energy is similar. huge full field drill w/ lots of bodies and symmetry. fallen?? like a fallen angel, maybe? kinda celestial sounding, maybe some angle wings in that opening drill? opens w/ symphonie fantastique chimes, then gets quite poppy/Reaganesque, before Verdi requiem kicks in.

Fallen angels? That is SO AWESOME! Aahhh! Sorry sorry thatā€™s such an awesome concept for a marching show thošŸ¤© cannot wait to see it at BOA webster if Iā€™m able to

All this talk, but where are the videos? šŸ˜­

Okay, I found the soundless ones, because I remember them from last season. Does Michael Gaines write the drill for Tomball Memorial now? I know it was the Avon guy before. Gotta say, they look quite Carmel-ized this year. It helps that their uniforms are also blue. Plus, Saucedo arranges for them, right? I wonder what it sounds like. Very clear, formal drill program, with all those pods collapsing into double files like you see from Gaines pretty often. Flags around the band could use some work, but my interest is piqued.

The ones I'm viewing are on TexanLive, by the way.

Is Flower Mound not loading for everyone else, or is it just me? This is... frustrating. It's so tantalizing!

I think Wylie East looks pretty awesome for their first show. I love how the circle in the middle spins like a gear and sort of cranks out the follow-the-leader drill into the center of the field. I like how it all feels connected, too -- not just isolated moments. Plus, it has a clear focus. Just gotta hear it with the music now! Honestly, I feel like getting the visual to match the music is quite easy. What you really want to do is elevate the music, and I feel like part of accomplishing that might just be having an interesting visual program even without music!

I'm confused by The Woodlands. Am I watching TWHS or BAC -- their guard is that good! Some of the same skills, too. Ensemble 7s the new scholastic world class standard? Whatever the standard is, they're going to crush it this year. I love the clarity and energy of the choreo from the band, too. Those hips! So much attention to detail already. Lots to take in. I do, however, wish the video showed more of the field. Hard to judge the overall package.