Football 🏈 Halftime Shows

14 hours ago, Rubisco said:

All this talk, but where are the videos? 😭

many of the ones w/ sound can be found in the live streams at fan.hudl.com, including reagan, ctj, and leander. coppell and maybe avon are on there too but u need a subscription for those. ain't payin for friggin hs marching band!! baka!!! (unless my dear ol mom is paying...)

13 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Am I watching TWHS or BAC -- their guard is that good! Some of the same skills, too.

assistant director is on staff at BAC. ive been told one of their captains was on BAC's weapon line this past season also, maybe returned w/ some new skills. def get the feeling Cyndi watched some drum corps this year and was like, eh, we can probably do that.

9 minutes ago, packwick said:

many of the ones w/ sound can be found in the live streams at fan.hudl.com, including reagan, ctj, and leander. coppell and maybe avon are on there too but u need a subscription for those. ain't payin for friggin hs marching band!! baka!!! (unless my dear ol mom is paying...)

Ugh noooo…I just figured that out when I tried finding my band’s first game from Friday and seeing if I could find our run 😭…subscriptions suck 😢

Shows are looking pretty good.  Between excessive heat and rain/lightning, many of the Central Texas bands lost a ton of outdoor practice days over the past 2 weeks.  It doesn't seem to have impacted things too terribly.

1 hour ago, Quadrepicness said:

Are we sure about that first one? Coppell hasn't played Waxahachie yet.

I was wrong. I’m pretty sure it’s Sachse. For some reason thought that’s who it was after visiting maxpreps and seeing that was their next game, not who they already played 🤦‍♂️

On 8/31/2024 at 11:05 PM, urmom292 said:

vids of moe and gene and cedar ridge (no audio tho)

Decided to give this a watch and give my thoughts since I hadn't seen anyone else's thoughts yet! 

M&G Johnson: Their guard had some really fun choreo and character moments last year and that continues into this year! The dancer quartet on what I presume to be the dance floor prop was fun and I'm excited to see it with music! The drill writing is pretty effective, and uses the size of the program pretty well, a lot of those follow the leader sets are just fun to watch. My only "complaint" if you could call it that, is that I'd like it if the dance floor was a little bigger! 

Cedar Ridge: The overall choreography, staging and drill makes it immediately clear what the show is about, and they're all in on the pendulum imagery, from various choreo moves like swinging arms and swaying legs, and a really neat drill visual with a soloist in a giant pendulum that swings from side to side, I'm really happy with what I'm seeing in terms of taking the concept and running with it. I feel like this is visually closer to their 2022 production than last year, and I appreciate it for that. 

1 minute ago, LeanderMomma said:

Does anyone know if the NFHS stream mutes the bands during the football games?  I don’t want to pay to watch Leander vs Hendrickson online tonight if they are going to mute the bands!

They do yes. Not everyone, but I've seen a lot of halftimes muted.

I had a chance to watch Melissa HS perform part one of their show from their game against Parkview. I will say they are playing very loud this year.

Here is a link to the video (skip to 2:06:41 to watch the performance):

This week, Melissa faced Frisco, which was live streamed as well!

(Skip to 1:26:39 for the performace of Melissa)

Here was Vandy's performance from tonight. This show is going to be fun to watch develop. Ripping runs from brass and woodwinds. There's some great articulation across the field. 

I mention "too much bass" in one part of this video and it doesn't translate in the video. But there is a synth bass that is way too loud at the point just before that so that instead of an addition to the show it became the feature of the show. Once they get that under control it's going to be a super effective part of the show. 

Great performance tonight Vandy. It did feel good to leave a CP --Vandy game where CP wasn't just demolished during the show on either side of the main event. 

41 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

This year is a little different. This is the best I have seen them in week 2 since I started going to all of their performance in  2015. The marching form is advanced beyond anything I've ever seen from CP this early (as a whole). The guard is gigantic (finally) for Cedar Park!  They were at a little disadvantage tonight as their front ensemble truck did not make the game. The front ensemble features were mostly silent for the show tonight.  Luckily Vandy allowed the front ensemble to use their set. Mighty sporting of Vandegrift. LISD is truly One Team. 

I hate how this phone compresses the audio. They were much more dynamic than this video's recording but, it's what I had on me. 

And this video should clear up as it finishes processing

That last movement looked to be thrown on this week.

Part of their cleanliness seems to come from some easier drill. Quite a bit of standing on yardlines and directly inbetween. I really hope their closer comes out with some spice. They do sound very good.

3 minutes ago, Oboeish20 said:

That last movement looked to be thrown on this week.

Part of their cleanliness seems to come from some easier drill. Quite a bit of standing on yardlines and directly inbetween. I really hope their closer comes out with some spice. They do sound very good.

They did the same thing last year at the beginning of the year then moved off of yard lines as the season progressed. 

15 minutes ago, MikeKyu said:

Here was Vandy's performance from tonight. This show is going to be fun to watch develop. Ripping runs from brass and woodwinds. There's some great articulation across the field. 

I mention "too much bass" in one part of this video and it doesn't translate in the video. But there is a synth bass that is way too loud at the point just before that so that instead of an addition to the show it became the feature of the show. Once they get that under control it's going to be a super effective part of the show. 

Great performance tonight Vandy. It did feel good to leave a CP --Vandy game where CP wasn't just demolished during the show on either side of the main event. 

Wow!