Mansfield Preview of Champions (Sep. 28) 2024

I’m looking very forward to it, surprising yet well deserved results last year so hoping for a good time! The contest section on the Mansfield website has not been updated yet so not much information about performing bands this year yet.😢 

I do know by their band calendar that Colleyville, Berkner, Timberview, and midlothian will be participating this year.

On 9/14/2024 at 9:00 PM, stateboundsaxes said:

What do you guys think the placements for Mansfield will be  this year. I know last year’s placements caught a lot of people off guard 

Top three is between Berkner, Lake Ridge, and Colleyville again, I don't see fourth-tenth place swapping around that much. Lake Ridge has some pretty intense double tonguing, Berkner sounds like a concert band, and Colleyville has the best visual. Just a brawl between the three to see who can come out on top with the best overall show.

9 hours ago, SaxSoldier said:

could definitely see lake ridge on top this year. what do you mean that berkner sounds like a concert band this year? haven heard much from them or their show yet this season.

Incredibly blended, but not too loud

9 hours ago, UpUpUp said:

Anyone have predictions?

I think Berkner, Collyville Heritage, and Lake Ridge will fight it out for top three, SGP, Timberview, and Summit will make finals, as the Mansfield schools typically do well at this contest, and from the performance South gave last Friday, they're very clean for early season. I think Arlington will place in the top ten, same with Midlo and Kennedale, but I don't know who else.

I have no Idea how good Berkner is this year because I havent seen any film of them but they are your 6a state qualifiers so they will be hard to beat in this competition. Lake Ridge hasnt really changed much i think visually they are the same as last year but atleast musically they are better so they should score in the 80s at this competition now. As for Colleyville heritage i have no idea how good they are either but they always pull off solid scores, dont know what to expect from them though because they have new directors so this will be interesting... outside of the top 3 thought i think it will be 4th place midlothian, 5th summit, 6th timberview 7th legacy and 8-10th is unpredictable

On 9/5/2024 at 8:31 AM, vandi said:

This is one of the earliest competitions I am aware of, and a pretty disastrous one at times. Assuming the schedule is similar to last year, how do y'all feel about how current bands will place?

Disastrous? How so? This contest is very underrated and has been run very well the last 2 years and years before that. I really wish we saw more of the north Dallas suburb schools at this contest. Plano East invitational isn’t the best venue and those schools would have a better exp at POC. Same with Mesquite marching festival. IMG_7468.thumb.png.ea2e21a2e4e7c72f15ee51456bb4babb.png

Top 3 at this contest:

1. Lake Ridge 

2. Colleyville 

3. Berkner 

I really think it’ll be a toss up between these 3 groups. 

44 minutes ago, DallasTPT said:

Disastrous? How so? This contest is very underrated and has been run very well the last 2 years and years before that. I really wish we saw more of the north Dallas suburb schools at this contest. Plano East invitational isn’t the best venue and those schools would have a better exp at POC. Same with Mesquite marching festival. IMG_7468.thumb.png.ea2e21a2e4e7c72f15ee51456bb4babb.png

Top 3 at this contest:

1. Lake Ridge 

2. Colleyville 

3. Berkner 

I really think it’ll be a toss up between these 3 groups. 

2019 year specifcally. Quite literally had a band that didnt attend make finals. Just chaos from what ive heard and seen. I do agree the last 2-3 years have been better, and Im starting to agree with their judging system more. However, it is mainly distratous as some placements we make(since this contest is so early) can be based off just results from last year and things like that. So placements here normally tend to be pretty different from what most would predict. Good for some bands, bad for others kind of thing.

7 hours ago, 5abands said:

I have no Idea how good Berkner is this year because I havent seen any film of them but they are your 6a state qualifiers so they will be hard to beat in this competition. Lake Ridge hasnt really changed much i think visually they are the same as last year but atleast musically they are better so they should score in the 80s at this competition now. As for Colleyville heritage i have no idea how good they are either but they always pull off solid scores, dont know what to expect from them though because they have new directors so this will be interesting... outside of the top 3 thought i think it will be 4th place midlothian, 5th summit, 6th timberview 7th legacy and 8-10th is unpredictable

By visual do you mean drill or just specifcally like choreo and other things like that?

24 minutes ago, vandi said:

By visual do you mean drill or just specifcally like choreo and other things like that?

yeah both. honestly i feel like lakeridge's drill and choreo was more challenging last year than this year's. the harder the drill the better your visual score will be (if clean ofc) so like i dont see them improving visually this year.