Uil 6A Area D Contest

Date: November 2,2024

The UIL Area contest is less than 1 month away! This year, it's expected to be one of the most competitive areas in the state. 5 spots available for state and the state spots are always up for grabs, no school is safe. Will we see McNeil make their first state appearance or will Ctj come back and make yet another appearance at state, will dripping springs avenge their loss to Westwood last year or will Westwood get in the top 3? Will Cedar Ridge go to state after a strong showing at Round Rock? Follow this Forum to find out on November 2nd

Area qualifiers from last year: Ronald Reagan HS Claudia Taylor Johnson HS,  Round Rock HS Westwood HS Moe and Gene Johnson HS Dripping Springs HS Cedar Ridge HS Bowie HS McNeil HS Churchill HS Hutto HS Weiss HS Austin HS Copperas Cove HS Madison HS New Braunfels HS Anderson HS San Marcos HS Stony Point HS Midway HS Bryan HS Legacy of Educational Excellence Temple HS Harker Heights HS Roosevelt HS. 

Tell me if I missed anybody that could potentially make area: My incredibly early state qualifier predictions are Reagan, Round rock, Cedar ridge, Westwood, Dripping springs. My next 3 area Ctj, McNeil, Bowie

Predictions and talk about schools down below

Possible bands at Area D - There are a total of 28 bands. Bold shows those that made a 1st division last year. (*was a 112 rating in 5A)

Region 8 (7) (7)

Midway, Bryan, Temple, Copperas Cove, Shoemaker*, Harker Heights, Killeen*

Region 12 (8) (8)

Reagan, CTJohnson, Madison, LEE, Roosevelt, Churchill, San Marcos, Canyon

Region 18 (6) (4)

Del Valle, James Bowie, Akins, Austin, Dripping Springs, M&G Johnson

Region 26 (7) (6)

Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Westwood, Stony Point, McNeil, Hutto, Manor

If it were based off of last year's results, 25 bands would be at Area with 5 advancing to State. There is a possibility of only 4 bands advancing to State! Let's hope that everyone has fantastic Region Marching runs!

12 minutes ago, rouseglazer1 said:

kinda scared for ctj here, hopefully they'll pull through ..

I agree, Ctj will have a very tough time, last year it was scary and they got 3rd but man did all those bands who were outside state like Bowie, Mcneil, and Cedar ridge come back strong. I don't see CTJ making finals, probably 8th place here. The only problem is Area judges are not that professional and the scores can vary so much based off of one judge due to the way it works so if one judge just hates on CTJ or Mcneil or Bowie or Westwood then the are probably not making it, this is the reality of area if you don't believe me look at last year and look at cedar ridge, do you really think they deserve the rankings C. Moon gave them

32 minutes ago, Band1234556 said:

I agree, Ctj will have a very tough time, last year it was scary and they got 3rd but man did all those bands who were outside state like Bowie, Mcneil, and Cedar ridge come back strong. I don't see CTJ making finals, probably 8th place here. The only problem is Area judges are not that professional and the scores can vary so much based off of one judge due to the way it works so if one judge just hates on CTJ or Mcneil or Bowie or Westwood then the are probably not making it, this is the reality of area if you don't believe me look at last year and look at cedar ridge, do you really think they deserve the rankings C. Moon gave them

i agree to a certain extent, yes cedar ridge was kinda robbed last year and i feel like based off the score sheets it seems like a lot of the judges have bias for/against certain bands but in general I would trust their judgment as they know a lot more about the arts than we do. also all area d finalists are state caliber and there's no denying that, and that's where i think a lot of the variety in judging happens tbh

17 minutes ago, rouseglazer1 said:

i agree to a certain extent, yes cedar ridge was kinda robbed last year and i feel like based off the score sheets it seems like a lot of the judges have bias for/against certain bands but in general I would trust their judgment as they know a lot more about the arts than we do. also all area d finalists are state caliber and there's no denying that, and that's where i think a lot of the variety in judging happens tbh

I agree, I believe all of the finalists could go to state and they would fit right in, very tough area to advance in and it can sometimes be harder to make state from area d then it is to make state finals, super excited to see the result of this contest, the region contest is today so we will find out how many state spots will be available soon, should be 5, if its 4 that unfortunate and it will be so much harder for all the bands

5 hours ago, Band1234556 said:

Congrats to RR Jv, really cool to see them in the area contest, already 7 qualifiers from area one, if this keeps up through the other 4 regions there will be 5 state spots, still incredibly competitive to make state.

RR JV will not be at Area. They are registered as a NV group and do not advance.

On 10/13/2024 at 9:10 AM, Bandmanio said:

Possible bands at Area D - There are a total of 28 bands. Bold shows those that made a 1st division last year. (*was a 112 rating in 5A)

Region 8 (7) (7)

Midway, Bryan, Temple, Copperas Cove, Shoemaker*, Harker Heights, Killeen*

Region 12 (8) (8)

Reagan, CTJohnson, Madison, LEE, Roosevelt, Churchill, San Marcos, Canyon

Region 18 (6) (4)

Del Valle, James Bowie, Akins, Austin, Dripping Springs, M&G Johnson

Region 26 (7) (6)

Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Westwood, Stony Point, McNeil, Hutto, Manor

If it were based off of last year's results, 25 bands would be at Area with 5 advancing to State. There is a possibility of only 4 bands advancing to State! Let's hope that everyone has fantastic Region Marching runs!

Sorry, Hutto should have been bold (last year's results)