But if they don't judge the "what," than what's to stop bands playing far easier shows well, from beating out other bands that have way harder shows, but not performed quite as well.

A better "what" does not necessarily mean that the show is any harder or easier.

You can have a show that is incredibly hard to perform (musically and/or visually) but doesn't have an over-arching concept, or tell a story, or have a door.

Half of BOA's GE score is the "What" which is Concept/Story, Design, and Originality including the integration and use of props. This means that you get points for having giant Jacks just sitting in the backfield because they "enhance" your concept.

The students theoretically cannot influence these points even though they account for nearly 1/3rd of the total possible score. Why should the students of a band that may march and play better be penalized just because a judge doesn't think that red flags go well with the music that the director chose?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally can say that sometimes I don't agree with BOA's judging but I'm not the one that has to judge it and I form my own opinion of what I find entertaining in a marching show. Although I must say that I love the "We are all winners in life" - it's what makes BOA, well...BOA. Without it, it's just like a regular contest. And we can all say that we HATE full band retreats, because I know I hate having put my uniform back on (still nasty and sweaty) and line up and wait for 45 min while the exhibition band performs and we line up and get on the field and they have to announce everyone and wait for everyone to stop clapping and go through all the captions and placements when all we're really thinking is "get me off this field out of my uniform back on the bus in my p.j. pants and let me fall asleep", but we all deep down secretly love it.

A better "what" does not necessarily mean that the show is any harder or easier.

You can have a show that is incredibly hard to perform (musically and/or visually) but doesn't have an over-arching concept, or tell a story, or have a door.

Half of BOA's GE score is the "What" which is Concept/Story, Design, and Originality including the integration and use of props.  This means that you get points for having giant Jacks just sitting in the backfield because they "enhance" your concept.

The students theoretically cannot influence these points even though they account for nearly 1/3rd of the total possible score.  Why should the students of a band that may march and play better be penalized just because a judge doesn't think that red flags go well with the music that the director chose?

Gotcha, I agree.

And we can all say that we HATE full band retreats, because I know I hate having put my uniform back on (still nasty and sweaty) and line up and wait for 45 min while the exhibition band performs and we line up and get on the field and they have to announce everyone and wait for everyone to stop clapping and go through all the captions and placements when all we're really thinking is "get me off this field out of my uniform back on the bus in my p.j. pants and let me fall asleep", but we all deep down secretly love it.

What?? I LOVE full band retreat. I was also really pissed when they took full corps retreats out of DCI this year. Usually, those were a lot of fun when we did them last year.

Here's a juicey piece of information for your BOA forum:

Not sure if word has yet made it to the Lone Star State, but TWO of Indiana's powerhouse bands - Lawrence Central and Carmel - will NOT be participating in their own state finals competition this year.

Instead, they're BOTH setting their sites on BOA Nationals. Aside from an invitational or two in Indiana, they both have an entirely BOA schedule. In fact, they'll both be competing at the St. Louis Super Regional during the weekend of Indiana State Finals.

Generally, the Indiana bands show up at Nationals after having competed about three to four weeks earlier at state finals, so they've kinda already "peaked" by the time they get to the last BOA Regional and Grand Nationals.

Should be pretty interesting to see what these two amazing bands put on the field in November knowing that they're BOTH pacing themselves to "peak" during Nationals.

And Nationals is REALLY going to be a battle this year with LD Bell, Ron Reagan, Carmel, LC, Centerville and Avon - not to mention a couple other terrific bands - ALL capable of finishing in the top two or three spots.

Good luck to everyone - from every state - who's competing in BOA this year...!!!

Well, most Indiana bands look toward state finals as the "high point" of their season which, in Indiana, generally is one of the last couple of weeks during October.

In Indiana, just qualifying for the state finals in "Class A" (the equivalent of 5A in Texas) is getting to be pretty darn tough. Last year, for example, perennial BOA Nationals finalist Center Grove had a slightly "off" season and they got completely left out in the cold at the Indiana regionals and didn't make the cut for the "Class A" championships at the dome.

Therefore, a lot of bands - especially in "Class A" - have to pace their program so that they can turn in their best program of the season at REGIONALS just to make sure that they advance to state.

After those two competitions, bands often take a break and kinda "relax" rather than continue to "build" all the way up to Nationals. It's a challenge to keep "the energy" going for nearly another month after your "peak." Ya know...???

So, with Lawrence Central and Carmel sitting out of Indiana state finals this year, they're both probably going to keep puttin' the pressure on right up until 8 p.m. on the night of BOA Finals.

Okay...being from Indiana I would like to clarify a couple things...

I dont know of any Indiana band that "relaxes" after State finals, unless that happens to be the end of the season for your band. The BOA Indianapolis Regional is usually between state finals and BOA Grand Nationals. Plus there are other competitions to attend and/or full rehearsals.

Regardless of what state you come from, I think the ultimate goal is to be at your absolute best at the very end of the season. That could be state finals or BOA Grand Nationals. Obviously, you want to be the best you can at your state finals, but if your season does continue...there are 2-3 weeks (in Indiana depending on the schedule) to keep pushing along until your season does end.

The Indiana Class A State Champion was Avon....and by the time BOA Grand Nationals came around...Lawrence Central came out on top. Lots of factors and changes can happen in a couple weeks.

Regardless of participating in State Finals or not....there's no relaxing until the season is complete.

As for Center Grove, remember that Indiana takes the top 5 scores in each class from the North Regional and the top 5 scores in each class at the South Regional into State Finals (not always resulting in the top 10 scores overall). The south regional has been much tougher recently compared to the North in Class A. Thus, CG getting left out of finals with their "slightly off" season, but had they been in the North....it would have been a different story.

:D

I guess then it could be argued, Why end the marching season when the last contest finishes? Why not finish out until the last football game. Heaven forbid you make playoffs :D .

Anyways, in Texas, the State finals were the week after the BOA Super Regional in San Antonio. I don't know about many bands, but we had to spend the night in San Antonio, so expenses for another trip (such as Grand Nationals) is completely out of the question. That seems like a good season ender.

I think its up to a band when they want their season to end. If their goal was to put on a BOA Show, and they do, then I think their season can be considered over. Even if they do go on to state.

I don't mean to talk in third person... I'm actually referring to Reagan. They swept the captions at the Super Regional, and then got 8th at state. I know there are many judging differences, but (I'm assuming) their show was a BOA show, and they did a darn good job at it!

so who is totaly excited about marching season begining and BOA contests! haha i cant wait to hear chuck henson.....joining us from......... please welcome the....... drum majors..... he is awesome! anyways...what are you guys looking forward to and not looking forward too? let me say.....i cannot stand stading there while they annouce awards at finals...ahhh

I cant wait to see BOA in Long Beach and Indidana! More specially since I already register to work at both events as a Volunteer Staff Memebrs!

:):rolleyes:B)

• 2 weeks later...

DUDE>.that announcer guy is awesome

WE ARE ALL WINNERS IN LIFE>..

NOW ...TO KEEP WITH BOA TRADITIONS...AT MY WORDS BANDS BREAK RANKS

BREAK RANKS

...we stand there and wait for our dm to dismiss..(not a sign of disrespect...thats just what we do)

makes for a great picture moment..

1 block amongst a scatter of ppl

And don't forget that Half of that 60% is the "What" which, theoretically, the students cannot affect.

General Effect is scored by the effect the show gives. Thus, the students have a VERY large part in it, because:

Music Effect: When you hit that chord at just the right time, where it sends shivers down your back, when the music creates an "effect" that is mostly felt (from what I've seen) by the judges. That is musical effect. It ties in with visual effect, IMHO, a lot, and vice-versa.

Visual Effect: This is more the directors area, but is still performed by the students. When the music is building, and the forms are taking shape, and suddenly BAM! you've got this awesome drill to accompany the music, and the audience can't help but get up and cheer... the drill done there is the visual effect, and if it's not done just right, then there's very little effect.

The students, while not the ones to design the "effect," are still the ones who carry it out, and so, if it's not done correctly by the students, then the effect isn't there. The directors do have a sizeable hand in it, though, because they do design what it is, and if they can't design a good effective moment, then the effect can't be performed by the students. Both have hands in the matter.