Greater numbers...

What would ya'll say is the key to increasing the number of members in your band? Our band has about 110 students in it. I think that having a great junior high feeder program would be the place to start. How do you get a great group to start in junior high, but stick with it even through high school? We've got a great staff, but our numbers are usually right around 105 to 110. How do schools increase the number of students in band?

I think making a name for yourself helps. Right before I joined our band went through alot of changes and alot of people quit. I almost did too. We've kinda had a rough last 2 years, but we've slowly gotten back into the running for things, and each year more band students from the middle schools wanna be a part of it. Next year I hope we can hit 200, but I'm not sure how realistic that is...

I don't want to sound like quantity should be put above quantitiy. I'd rather have QUALITY over quantity. It's just nice to have a large program that is also talented. I love my band as it is, but I'd also enjoy a band of 130 that can still keep up with our current standard of excellence. I'm in a 3A band, 130 or so students is a pretty good size for our classification.

@ my school band isn't even the top priority in most of the cases, therefore we have to keep our name alive and in the media to attain more and more members

It's extremely unfortunate to hear that about your band @ Westfield. Your comment isn't the only one on here with that similar message... You've got such a wonderful program, I can't imagine why ya'll aren't high up on the list of programs to shine some attention on. I would love to march with a band such as yours. But it just shows how dedicated and disciplined you and your fellow members are to stick with it all the way through and still show everyone why you deserve to the the top dogs! :D

It's extremely unfortunate to hear that about your band @ Westfield. Your comment isn't the only one on here with that similar message... You've got such a wonderful program, I can't imagine why ya'll aren't high up on the list of programs to shine some attention on. I would love to march with a band such as yours. But it just shows how dedicated and disciplined you and your fellow members are to stick with it all the way through and still show everyone why you deserve to the the top dogs! :D

preciate the love...that touched my heart.

Our band is only 35 people, but that's cause were a 2A. I think 35 is still pretty small for a 2A though. All the other bands from schools we play have at least 60 or more. I'd be pretty nice to be that big. If all the kinds in the junior high band stay in we might have around 60 next year.

Our band is pretty small for a 5A... I think we're around 132 people not counting guard... but our freshman class this year was HUGE so hopefully they will be in the following years as well

Yalls director came to our school as a music clinician, and he's amazing with what he did with our music in 2 hours!

You need middle schools with band programs that the kids enjoy, so that more of them pursue band into HS. Then you'll just get big freshman classes that will then become large large sophomore classes, etc.

Our band is roughly 300 members, and has been for several years now, since Westwood's 2 feeder schools (Grisham MS and Canyon Vista MS) are both big band schools.

We keep getting Screwed. Everytime our band starts to get bigger they open a new school that takes away from us.

[sigh] true story...i`m there"/

but we do limit ourselves every year to a 96-member hornline reguardless of size.

the band itself gets smaller every year. people need to quit moving into NiSD + making us open new high schools every 3 years unless they intend on joining OUR band>=[

I'm in a huge band, we have over 600 people, but I'm not entirely sure how that happened, though we have an 8th grade night where the 8th graders sit and play with us in the stands at a football game to get a feel for how much fun it is, and in May, we have "First Steps" where the 8th graders come out and learn marching fundamentals, so they're not so overwhelmed when summer band starts. Plus it's word of mouth, everyone wants to be in the band, even though its hard work, it's fun. Everyone sees the band- at football games, plus we do a march-a-thon in August where we march 10 miles through Allen to raise funds and awareness, and we march in the Allen Christmas parade every year.

I'm in a huge band, we have over 600 people, but I'm not entirely sure how that happened, though we have an 8th grade night where the 8th graders sit and play with us in the stands at a football game to get a feel for how much fun it is, and in May, we have "First Steps" where the 8th graders come out and learn marching fundamentals, so they're not so overwhelmed when summer band starts. Plus it's word of mouth, everyone wants to be in the band, even though its hard work, it's fun. Everyone sees the band- at football games, plus we do a march-a-thon in August where we march 10 miles through Allen to raise funds and awareness, and we march in the Allen Christmas parade every year.

i'm not certain, but from what i've heard, isn't Allen HS the only HS in Allen?

so that is another reason you have so many people.. i'm i'm wrong, correct me please!