Instrument Dilemma

lionbc

I know I'm not the only woodwind player who has wondered this before, and I wanted to make sure that somebody who was unsure about this topic had a place to look at for information.

Anyway, the problem is that most woodwind players don't know what they want to do when it comes to Drum Corps. They don't know if it's better to go brass, guard, or just to stay out of it all together. If you have any helpful information, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you're serious about diving into the world of drum corps, by all means don't hesitate! Many camps allow and even encourage you to bring your own instrument be it brass, percussion, or woodwinds! Going to a camp to get a feel of things gives you great view of that many corps look for, and what can be expected of you in the future. I know that many students go to corps camps just to get experience and practice so that they're even more ready for the corps they wish to join, or as a way to decide whether or not to try out at all. Just because you're a woodwind player doesn't mean you can't be in a drum corps. While you would have to learn to play a brass instrument or become a guard member, it's all up to you and how far you want to go. I play trombone, so I'll have to learn to play a valved instrument! I completely understand how you feel, but don't count yourself out just because of the woodwind instrument you play. It takes all kinds, and there's no doubt that many corps have members who were in your shoes at one point in time. So do it, go to a camp, get a feel for things, then decide! :D

Many camps allow and even encourage you to bring your own instrument be it brass, percussion, or woodwinds! 

i've NEVER heard of a corps allowing auditionees to bring woodwinds to an audition. maybe i've missed something.

anyhow! if you are interested in drum corps, definitely pick up something, be it brass, colorguard, or percussion. i marched next to a mellophone who was originally a flute player, and a couple original sax players. woodwind players definitely CAN make it in the world of drum corps. as far as which route, i would focus on brass or guard were i an interested woodwind player. just my $.02 :P

good luck!

i've NEVER heard of a corps allowing auditionees to bring woodwinds to an audition. maybe i've missed something.

The Cadets *shudder* held a camp here in Austin this summer, and encouraged woodwinds to come.

I tried learning Mellophone last year, but several factors made that fail.

So now I'm taking Baritone lessons, and doing quite well.

anyhow! if you are interested in drum corps, definitely pick up something, be it brass, colorguard, or percussion. i marched next to a mellophone who was originally a flute player, and a couple original sax players. woodwind players definitely CAN make it in the world of drum corps. as far as which route, i would focus on brass or guard were i an interested woodwind player. just my $.02 :P

good luck!

Yep, there are several corps that welcome you to bring your own instrument, even if it's not "legal." They don't directly say "bring your clarinet to the next Cavalier's December Camp," or anything. It's just a broad encouragement to just come out and get invovled, even if you're not planning on auditioning. Many corps hold camps not just for hopeful members, but also for kids to pick up some great techniques and practice methods from great instructors while also learning tons about what DCI really is, and if they'd be interested in it in the future. That's one of the things I really love about the activity, corps are usually more than willing to help out youth music education. Just because a corps holds a camp, doesn't mean that you HAVE to go there for an audition. Many times camps are recruitment tools as well as audition opportunities. Think of it as a college visit, only with a DCI twist!

Some corps do in fact say that. More to see your musicality and ability more than anything. You are by no means going to be considered for a spot though, unless you can do something with a brass instrument.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, flute/piccolo player talking here! Pick up a brass instrument. My recomendation: the Mello. It's not nearly as competitive as the Trumpet and doesnt weight as much as the Baritone or Tuba. As for picking up the mallots. Go for it, just be sure you're coordinated (I wan't!). Another position you could try for is Drum Major, if that floats your boat. Thats the route I picked, it's fun and really...well fun.

don't most corps want you to march for a year before being considered for drum major?

Well, that's usually how it is in the better corps, because there are more returning vets. And lots of times, that's only a requirement for the head drum major.

At Cavaliers you have to march at least three years I believe.