UIL AREA A (STATE) UPDATE.

AMERICAS HS BAND HAS BEEN DISQUALIFIED AS OF 11/02/06 AND WILL NOT ADVANCE TO THE UIL STATE CONTEST. AMERICAS HS BAND HAD AN INELIGABLE BAND MEMBER PARTICIPATING AT THE AREA CONTEST AND THEREFORE WILL NOT MOVE ON, IN THERE PLACE WILL BE EL PASO: BEL AIR HS

UIL AREA A BANDS ADVANCING TO STATE

NORTHWEST JUSTIN HS

KELLER HS

EL PASO: BEL AIR HS

This is just awful... To even think about all of the hard work and dedication put forth by the Americas HS members kind of puts a lump in my throat. While Bel Air will represent them well, I just can't see it being the same... What really makes me feel bad for these guys is not only the hard work they've put in as a whole, but also those band seniors who have to graduate not seeing the Alamodome on their last year in band, especially after being so close. :(

I've heard several opinions which have said that this was a director's fault, which I'm going to partially agree/disagree with. While the director should have known about this ineligible students' presence, every band student know just how stressed out directors are on contest days. I can see how this easily slipped their attention. But at the same time, it's kind of sad to think that one person knowingly violated UIL's no pass - no play policy (I refuse to believe that anyone who's ever been in any extracirricular activty does NOT know what the UIL's policy is on participation) which resulted in total disqualification. Very unfortunate indeed. To all AHS members reading, we know you're true champs who deserve every bit of the recognition you've earned this year and in the past. Stay proud, you have nothing to be embarassed or ashamed of, even in the wake of this truly disheartening news... Keep your tradition of excellence up! Bel Air, good luck at state. Ya'll do a find job representing your area, the best of luck to you. Be sure to kick some butt for AHS and the other bands back home, I'm sure they're rooting for you! :)

And that's why no pass no play is a stupid rule in my opinion.

If a kid is good at band/football/dance, but terrible at school, let's keep him out of the one thing he does that might actually get him somewhere in life. In turn, it negatively affects everyone that was in the organization of the inelligible member. Nobody wins, and the kid still fails.

Of course I know the advantages of the system, I'm not stupid, but I still don't like it.

HERES THE OFFICIAL ARTICLE:

AMERICAS BAND DISQUALIFIED

Americas High School will not march for the state marching band championship next week because it used a student with failing grades during the qualification rounds to the tournament. Officials of the Socorro Independent School District confirmed late Thursday that the Univeristy Interscholastic League the body regulates sports, fine arts and other academic competitions in Texas - had told Americas it could no longer perform in the State Marching Band Contest on Tuesday at the Alamodome in San Antonio. This is very unfortunate, " said Tony Baca, socorro's assistant superintendent for secondary schools. "The band officials have met with the students, and the school has written a letter to send home to parents informing them of the situation." Baca said a student, who was not identified knew of the failing grades but still decided to play during both the area and regional qualifying rounds of the state tournament. He said the Americas band directors did not know of the failing grades, Baca said. As soon as the school learned of the ineligible student, they contacted UIL... it was self reporting," Baca added. "The school spent most of the day on the phone with UIL. We still don't know of any disciplinary action toward the student." Americas qualified for the state tournament by being one of the top three bands in the regional tournament last weekend. The fourth place band Bel Air High will now take its place. "There were a lot of people cheering in the halls when we knew we were going," said Alyssa Hernandez, as senior flute player at Bel Air. "We are sad for the Americas band because we know they were ready, but at the same time we are very excited to be going." Bel Air band director David Waters said his students were practicing for the Bands of America tournament also in San Antonio this weekend, so they will be ready for the UIL tournament Tuesday. "Our show is better than it was a week ago, and we are very confident," Waters said. "Hopefully we can go out there and represent El Paso well."

We always get an eligibility list every week with all students who are failing (F) or in danger of failing (D). It is unfortunate that the mass will suffer because of one individual, however, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Good luck to Bel Air and my condolences to Americas.

Baaaahahaha to both the Power Rangers and Robots comments. Goodness. I want to be best friends with you funny people.

As for Americas.....that's got to be a horrible feeling. That's the one thing I hate about UIL. Usually, by the time that someone is found ineligible, they've already performed in whatever activity they're doing and it's too late to retract it. Sigh. I mean, yeah, the student should have known, or even the directors...but still. If only UIL had some sort of method of checking students in or something before they performed...ah...only in a perfect world. :P

The good thing at least for Bel Air is at least they've been practicing for SA. I would've hated for them to have to go to State unprepared with only a few days of practice.

Band directors will try to find any "bad" thing with another school to try get them disqualified.

A week before area, one high school in my district had alot of "unofficial" practices and sometimes went 14 hours or over in a week! Many parents are going to question their band director now.

i almost feel as bad for the failing girl as I do for AHS. think of all the crap that she's going to get and think of all the guilt and shame she must feel. but at the same time all could be avoided easily. it's sick. i'm sorry AHS. i hope u know that u won't be forgotten.

on a happier note. does anyone know which color power ranger????????? and shouldn't marcus be dq because they're seaweed?? they're not even human, much less humanoids. :P

on a happier note. does anyone know which color power ranger????????? and shouldn't marcus be dq because they're seaweed?? they're not even human, much less humanoids. :P

In all honesty, I would worry more for Hebron...

Konami has been going on a rampage about their DDR and "four arrow" copyrights..

Konami will see them in court, no doubt.