2006 BOA San Antonio Day 1

OK, here are my top 5 after Friday Prelims in San Antonio:

1. Churchill

2. Akins

3. Loveland

4. Klein

5. Vista Ridge

Churchill has such a cool concept of deception that can't be explained without seeing it.

Akins has a really nice take on The Pines of Rome.

Loveland has one of the best drumlines I have ever heard from a highschool and has a very moving concept with the Medal of Honor music.

Klein was just clean and extremely controlled.

Vista Ridge was quite strong for such a young school.

United played SCV's version of Scheherazade and modified it little enough such that people in the crowd actually yelled "VANGUARD!!" at the appropriate moment.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww....I wish I was going to be able to see BOA San Antonio! But I had to choose between that and Grand Nats....sooo.....I can't wait to go to Indy and see what some of these bands can do...I will be going to SA to watch the state finals, so between that and Indy hopefully I will get my fill of great bands...(not likely!) lol

Just got back from the dome a while ago. Daniel Valdez (Danpod), Eric Salas, Daniel Sanchez (Xenon), Alan Irons and I hung out the entire day. It was a lot of fun.

Here are my rankings for Friday's Prelims.

1. Winston Churchill HS, TX

2. Klein HS, TX

3. Akins HS, TX

4. Loveland HS, CO

5. United HS, TX

6. Coronado HS, TX

7. Vista Ridge HS, TX

8. William H. Taft HS, TX

9. Smithson Valley HS, TX

10. Del Valle HS, TX

11. James Madison HS, TX

12. John B. Alexander HS, TX

13. South San Antonio HS, TX

14. Seven Lakes HS, TX

15. Robstown HS, TX

16. East Central HS, TX

Thoughts:

I'm fairly certain that only one band from Friday's Prelims will advance to Finals---that band being Winston Churchill. There were some great shows like United, Akins (wow) & Loveland but with the stiff line-up on Saturday, I feel those bands will be on the outside looking in.

One more thing...

BOA posted the board with the Finals draw in the concourse and from what I can remember....Winston Churchill drew the 21st spot while Ronald Reagan drew the 39th spot. Most likely Reagan will be one of the last bands or if not the last band to perform in Finals.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

We will most likely be standing in line at the gate as soon as Prelims are over (we'll send at least one person out there before announcements) so that we can get the best seats that are available.

During Prelims we always sit on the lower level on the 50 right up against the press box (right next to the director's section). We will try to be as close to their as possible for Finals. If we can't be on the 50 next to the director's box, we will be just on the other side of it (around the side-1 40-45).

QUOTE (Xenon @ Nov 4 2006, 06:04 AM)
We will most likely be standing in line at the gate as soon as Prelims are over (we'll send at least one person out there before announcements) so that we can get the best seats that are available.

During Prelims we always sit on the lower level on the 50 right up against the press box (right next to the director's section). We will try to be as close to their as possible for Finals. If we can't be on the 50 next to the director's box, we will be just on the other side of it (around the side-1 40-45).

Ahhhh, just woke up. Tired and FULL!

See you in about an hour or so.

YAY I GOT MY TEXT!!!!

Music: Marcus

GE: Woodlands

Visual: Bell

3rd: Reagan

2nd: Woodlands

1st: L.D. Bell

Finalists

Reagan

Westfield

Westlake

Richland

Clearbrook

Hebron

Churchill

Marcus

L.D. Bell

Haltom

Cedar Park

Woodlands.

and P.S. okay! I'll rent out a charter bus, and we'll swing by and pick up all the TxB-ers who wanna go. I'll be at your house in 5 minutes. BE READY.

YAY I GOT MY TEXT!!!!

Music: Marcus

GE: Woodlands

Visual: Bell

3rd: Reagan

2nd: Woodlands

1st: L.D. Bell

Finalists

Reagan

Westfield

Westlake

Richland

Clearbrook

Hebron

Churchill

Marcus

L.D. Bell

and I'm supposing there should be another text coming but I haven't gotten it yet...I've only received 2. But Woodlands isn't on that list, so hm..!

You forgot Haltom, Cedar Park, and Woodlands.

Seriously, no Bowie?!? :blink: