2006 BOA San Antonio Day 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thought of penalities.

Mm, so I went to look at the BOA Handbook rule thing (has anyone else ever read it?) and I don't think we were really penalized that much. Like, enough to keep us from finals, if we're basing it all on penalities.

Maybe that doesn't make sense...

I guess I'm just venting about it...

Sorry, guys.

yes, I believe we (bowie) had a good performance, but I just don't know what happened, there really isn't any description, or words. It is what it is, that's alright, I feel it's a wakeup call for most of us, and we'll take care of things as soon as possible.

Yes, Bowie didn't make it. I have heard rumor of time penalties before (the darn sound system) and after (guard in the way of the timpani). I also saw two people fall and have heard about two others (that turf was really slick today for some reason). So, all in all, not our best execution, but it was still a good run.

---------------------

James Bowie High School

clarinet

c/o '07

In the words of Dean Westman after UIL State 2004: "Not making finals was the best thing that ever happened to this band".

Basically, in that speech that he gave us, he delievered the message to NEVER let yourself get complacent. The SFA was on such a "success high" 3-peat Houston champs, a national top 5 finish in '02, top 3 at BOA San Antonio in '03. The band was just used to having the trophies "handed over to them". That UIL contest served as a reality check. Our band wasn't invincible. Our band "deserved" nothing. It served to get us in the right mindset for what we had left to do in the season. Had we won or whatever, we would've gotten cocky and arrogant, like we were the ultimate badasses, and might not have worked as hard as we did leading up to Grand Nationals.

He talked to us immeadietly following our prelims performance, and we basically summed it up as being unemotional, and worthless. We had performed like we didn't care, like we had a free ride to the evening show, and we didn't need to "turn it on" until finals. Before the finalists were even announced, we knew in our hearts that we didn't deserve it. Westman actually said that he would've been pissed if we had made it to finals.

So basically, don't take for granted the success your band has had, and look at every "failure" as a learning experience. That's pretty close to how I live my life actually. Any bad thing that happens to me, I don't get pissed off, I try to look at objectively and see the long-term effects, and see that I'm actually going to be better off for having gone through a difficult time and learning something.

BOA San Antonio FINALS Results

87.70 Westfield

88.25 Clear Brook

88.75 Westlake

89.30 Hebron

89.55 Cedar Park

90.05 Winston Churchill

90.50 Richland

90.80 Haltom

93.70 RonaldReagan

94.70 Marcus

94.95 The Woodlands