Hey I know you all have the right to speak your own opinions but try to keep it civil on the forums and save it for private messaging or on AIM. The reason Marcus won is because while they may have had elaborate BOA props, their music was incredibly clean and in my opinion Bell couldn't catch up to them in that category.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it really comes down to the judges. Texas UIL is Texas UIL and an out of state judge who is used to a different scoring system is going to rank the band HE/SHE thinks is best dependent on his own criteria. What Texas UIL really needs are highly paid, TEXAS judges who are familiar with the ins and outs of the contest.

Btw, I heard that Marcus spent $12,000 on their props??? IF this is true, I see that as an advantage over other bands who can't afford elaborate props such as theirs. Perhaps maybe a spending limit should be proposed to UIL? After all, it is called MARCHING BAND, not dancing band, not 100% marching, not 100% music, not soloist band. It should consist of a well-rounded performance with eye-catching visuals, stylized marching, and an arrangement of music flexible enough to make all of these necessities possible. I'm not tooting my own horn (aha. punny...I play trumpet) when I say this, but Langham's show consisted of challenging drill, appropriate music, and some visuals, with the entire band marching and playing at the same time for about 7 minutes of the eight minute show. There's a short chamber ensemble. This is what I like to call a purely UIL show. I can only say this because I know about it; as far as other bands are concerned, I can only go on what I hear from other people. I do know that if any one of the 10 finalists were to compete in any other state, they would have easily won. Texas is very competitive and we should all be proud of that, because nowhere else in this country will you find a more diverse selection of marching bands.

Hey I know you all have the right to speak your own opinions but try to keep it civil on the forums and save it for private messaging or on AIM. The reason Marcus won is because while they may have had elaborate BOA props, their music was incredibly clean and in my opinion Bell couldn't catch up to them in that category.

Oh, I completely agree with Marcus winning. They sounded the best by far at Super Regionals. I even had them in first place in predictions. Woot for LISD!

Btw, I heard that Marcus spent $12,000 on their props???

All of Marcus' props are made by band parents and much of the props they use have been recycled from years past. Anyone remember the giant flowers from 2004? They were made from PVC pipes, fun foam, electrical tape, and spray paint. The petals from those flowers became bird beaks in 2005. And much of the rolling props have been used for years as well. The "$12,000" rumor is ridiculous...it does take money to make the props (paint, nails, wheels, etc), but I can't imagine it costing so much to put them together.

Actually I think there was some newspaper article about some of the dallas area bands that were going to state, and they talked about how Marcus spent somewhere around $12,000 on their show. I bet that includes music arrangements, drill design, props, and other things that went into the show, too. Regardless, I say if they want to spend that much on their show, more power to 'em. I honestly don't think having large and elaborate props will affect your score largely one way or the other, especially in UIL. It just makes it a more complete "package" and adds something more to look at for the audience.