Live! BOA GN Finals Review

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm calling it now. Bell and Reagan are going to win GN in 2007 and 2008, depending on which band goes when. Bell's been creeping up on it for too long now, and Reagan has two 2nd places under their belt.

You think Reagan will? Because they didn't do so hot this year compared to their previous years. Has Bell gone to Grand Nats every year??

You think Reagan will? Because they didn't do so hot this year compared to their previous years. Has Bell gone to Grand Nats every year??

It's a 5A state year, and Reagan's show was much more fine tuned for the UIL Marching contests. LD Bell is also relatively new to the BOA scene. I don't know how long they've been in attendance, but I believe it has only been about 5 or 6 years (anyone know for sure? Correct me if I'm wrong!). Anyway, the explanation for Reagan's so called "not doing too well compared to previous years," is probably due to the fact that much of what bands put into their shows for BOA just doesn't translate the same in UIL. This is mostly due to differences in the amount of possible points that can be given to a band for marching, music, and visual. The point system in both events is just different, as are both contests.

Overall though, I'm in agreement that one of these two bands will win Grand Nationals in the near future. Whether or not it'll be next year or the year after that, I don't know, but it would be pretty awesome.

Ronald Reagan went first in 2003 and got 2nd.

Center Grove went first in 1999 and got 2nd.

And that's the closest to the eagle for bands that perform first at Finals.

With a quick sweep of BOA Grand Nats Records, I can conclude that,

There has never been a band that performed first in Finals and ended up winning the eagle.

Someone should do a statistical analysis of this.

What I've heard is that judges are supposed to make the score a tad bit lower due to the fact that they tend to score a bit higher. Heh, you would think so at least.

If they REALLY liked the show they may just keep it at that high score in some points.

Idk, that is just what I've been told.

Sorry for the double post, but you have to remember also that this isn't UIL. At Grand Nats the finals judges are given a recap from prelims and semis.

So they don't come in completely blind, they have an idea of where people are expected to finish, so therefore it's only up to the bands to show the judges that they really do deserve that 1st place finish.