• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so shocked...I actually made region, and advanced to area. Usually I get incredibly nervous and shake so bad that my vibrato is gross and i can't hit any of the keys...but I ate three bananas and it made my nervousness go away. :)

The bad thing is I thought I would never have to play this music again, so I doodled all over it after i played it, and I spilt water all over one of the pages. :wacko: Then we got the results back...

hooray!

congrats to everyone who made region, and who advanced to area. I'll c u there!

In Region 20, 2 Duncanville clarinets got the area chairs at Orchestra and advanced to area. At pre-area, 7 or 8 Coppell kids made area, but the two guys from Dville are really good. They are in Area D this year with Spring ISD, Round Rock, North Austin area, Leander ISD, Conroe ISD, Klien ISD, and WOW...WHATEVER!!! That is some crazy sh#$!!! That is going to be the hardest competition in the state! They totally messed up that alignment.

In Region 20, 2 Duncanville clarinets got the area chairs at Orchestra and advanced to area.  At pre-area, 7 or 8 Coppell kids made area, but the two guys from Dville are really good.  They are in Area D this year with Spring ISD, Round Rock, North Austin area, Leander ISD, Conroe ISD, Klien ISD, and WOW...WHATEVER!!!  That is some crazy sh#$!!!  That is going to be the hardest competition in the state!  They totally messed up that alignment.

No kidding... I'm from Westwood, and I'm pissed about the new alignment... I mean sure, tough competition is never a bad thing, but seriously, if you put the 3 schools that in the previous year had the most people make all state (us, coppell, and dville) into a single area, you're going to be sending some of the best players in the state home at area, while letting worse players from other areas into state. It's kinda frustrating, since I made area for the first time this year and now have to go up against a way stiffer competition than the people before me. Somebody obviously really messed up on these alignments.

For example,

Spring ISD, (Houston Area) has to drive up to Baylor University for Area D auditions.

Does that make any financial sense?

Sounds like gerrymandering. But I guess that doesn't apply to TMEA.

It actually makes plenty of sense when you know what districts the Area includes. For example, Area D stretches from Klein and Spring ISDs in the southeastern corner, over to Lake Travis and Marble Falls ISDs north of Austin in the southwestern corner, and all the way up to Duncanville and Coppell ISDs in the north. Baylor is the most centralized location for each of the extreme corners of the Area.

What doesn't make sense is why TMEA would place three of the strongest regions in the entire state into a single Area. Can you imagine the bloodbath that will be Area for State Honor Band next year?

It has been a bloodbath for the past 2 State Honor Band years in Area D. It's insanity.

True, but I meant only that with Duncanville and Coppell entering the fray, the level of competition will be kicked up a notch or two. What bands were traded out of that Area to make room for two that have both recently won the contest and consistently rank in the finals? Add Westfield to that list, then consider the recent success of Spring and Cedar Park. Five possible contenders for the title in a single Area is just rediculous. Two is understandable, three is acceptable, but four or more makes you wonder what the alignment committee was thinking when they met at TMEA several years ago.

Also consider the All-State process. The total number of 5A All-State students sent from each of those regions this past year numbers approximately 15 more than any one Area is capable of sending. So, not only are they screwing over those regions in the Honor Band contest, but there are a number of incredible individual players who won't make it to State just because the number of phenomenal players who will be competing has suddenly spiked upward. Simply put, Area D is the one and only power house Area in the state as far as TMEA is concerned. Sure, other Areas have great programs, but nowhere else is there such a strong conglomeration of outstanding band programs.

Area D competition is the 6th at Baylor. I have no idea when state is but I don't think it will matter cause...well, I'm in Area D!!!! :o Ahhhh! I really want to go, but I'm not sure I even have the slightest chance. Plus area's in 9 days and I just threw my back out (don't ask) again so I can hardly lift my head. It makes it kinda hard to practice... :wacko::blink: