• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess what guys??

the day of contest.......

i got sick :angry:

i went anyway and got stuck in that cold, miserable choir recital hall for 7 hours!!

anyway, i got 22 / 44 with acute pharyngitis *shrug & sigh* miss monday and tuesday of school - 80 hours of sleep in 3 days 4 ninghts...haha

3 people i think made state from our region, all from seniors from Kingwood, congrats to them!

our first person from the school to make state band is...... a freshman trumpet! 7th of 7 taken. :)

Does anyone know the results from the clarinets in Area D? Someone told me the competition was so outrageous that there were a few or more former All-

Staters left out, but they did not know the results because clars were the last ones and directors made everybody leave asap. Who got 1st...anyone know top 9? I can only imagine how crazy that was!

Our school did well at Area competitions. Well, we did well by our standard. We had 12 advance to Area and out of those 12, I know two trumpets and a sax made state. One of our freshman trumpets missed state by one. Our bass trombone recorded himself and sent it on and I'm not sure of his results yet. Our freshman bari-sax made state, I think. Anyway, I go to Southwest High School. It's a 4A.

Someone told me the competition was so outrageous that there were a few or more former All-Staters left out

That's definately true. We have an amazing clar player that didn't make it.

Usually our district has 10-15 all-state players, but this year we had, count 'em, one.

Ok I was wondering what other peoples opinions on my thoughts on the audition process. I feel that the music needs to be harder, our region band concert has harder stuff than the etudes, and possibly a short sightreading etude in the room, because there is this girl next to me in the region band who can barely read music, and her director is telling her all the fingerings and singing all the rythms. What we do in region band is basically sight reading plus a little more rehearsal, if they cant sight read, they shouldnt be in the band. Just my 2 cents

The difficulty is all over the place for the bassoon music. Freshman year the lyrical selection had 7 flats with a 2 1/2 octave 32nd note triplet chromatic run. But then last year the music was relatively easy. The only things hard were the ornaments and the style cause it was baroque (sp?) music. This year it was kinda a happy medium.

I think the sightreading is a good idea too. Oh, and equal area alignments... <_<

Our area was more balanced this year for tubas, there weren't 8 insane players that were all right next to eachother and 4 people who couldn't play their instrument like last year. there were 16 people that had a definite few first people and everyone else was at least good at tuba. They could all play it and sound good.

guess what guys??

the day of contest.......

i got sick :angry:

i went anyway and got stuck in that cold, miserable choir recital hall for 7 hours!!

anyway, i got 22 / 44 with acute pharyngitis *shrug & sigh* miss monday and tuesday of school - 80 hours of sleep in 3 days 4 ninghts...haha

3 people i think made state from our region, all from seniors from Kingwood, congrats to them!

our first person from the school to make state band is...... a freshman trumpet! 7th of 7 taken. :)

was he the one who had the trumpet solo in your show?

was he the one who had the trumpet solo in your show?

no, the first solo was a senior and the second one was a junior. chris, the junior, got 10th at area

this freshman couldn't march very well though. always got yelled at by the director and corrected by the upperclassmen. every step he took, forward or back, he looked like he was about to fall over.... ^_^

anyway, since he made state, he got promoted from 3rd part to 1st part, with chris

btw, his dad is a band director, his mom is an orchestra director, his brother is also a band director.....haha it runs in the family