Mouthpiece Site

Aegis Fang

So I just quickly scanned over that article and would have to slightly disagree with the comments about gold plating. Gold is a soft metal, and to me it feels softer and is more comfortable on my lips. I also feel that it gives a slightly warmer tone to your playing. Also, if I'm reading my information correctly, gold holds heat better than silver. Thus, in my opinion, it allows you to warm-up and feel a bit more comfortable quicker. Gold also is more resistant to rust that what silver is, not that that has any real bearing on instruments though. Just a few of my opinions. I like a gold mouthpiece better than a silver one.

I also just found this article by Phil Smith of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. It's pretty good. http://archives.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/trends...mpet/index.html

Depends on which "cheater" you use. I can play a full Dub-G on my 6 (yes no C just a number 6) mouthpiece on my 60 year old Conn cornet better than I can on my Schilke and Warburton pieces on my marching horns with the tiny backbores. It's really all about air. The only thing a cheater mouthpiece does is with a shallow cup and flat rim it flattens out your lips allowing them to vibrate a little faster because they are less thick. But that only gets you so far. You've still gotta have the air to play that high. I just generally takes a little more work to go from a "cheater" to a "concert" piece. I suggest using the concert mouthpieces in marching band. With the musicality in todays marching world, it's just easier to play with that symphonic sound on the field when using a concert mouthpiece. I switched all of my students to concert mouthpieces on the field this year. It made a huge difference from what they sounded like at the beginning of the year to what they sounded like at the end.

With all of that said though, I truly feel that one should be able to play on a diversity of mouthpieces and should own quite a few different ones. Play around on them, but know what to use in a performance setting.