Life In Drum Corps

TRtrumpet

To clear this up, it really depends on which corp you join.

Let's take the Cavies for example. They practice for about 8 hours on every competition day and they practice for 14 hours every non-competition day. Then they tend to have 1 off day every 2 weeks. Usually they sleep on the bus so they can do their traveling at night. But they are a hard core drum corp.

Now let's the corp I'm currently on... The Madison Scouts!!! We practice about 8-10 hours when we don't have a competition that day and then we tend to have alot of free time. Usually on competition days we are really laid back and try to relax. When we arrived in San Antonio they gave us 3 hours to do whatever (we went down the river walk) then we had an hour of warm-up and about 3 hours of practice. We also get about 1-2 days every two weeks for just having some fun in what ever town we are in.

So basically it depends on what corp you join. My guess is that the Blue Devils and Cadets will have similar schedules to the Cavies. Oh and don't join Southwind cause they travel by planes and thats WAY more exspensive then bus. There are a few other corps who do that so be careful.

The first part of the season is "Spring Training." These are the days when you rehearse about 10-12 hours a day, learning the show, and getting it as clean as possible before tour.

Once tour starts, you have rehearsal days and show days. On rehearsal days, they are much like spring training, just working hard to clean the show. On show days, there is only about 5 hours of rehearsal, before everyone packs up to leave for the show. And the show days are what make the whole season worth it.

It's not as bad as it sounds though (unless you're in florida), because the feeling of everyone working hard to accomplish a common goal is amazingly satisfying.

You make a lot of new friends in drum corps, that make it entertaining.

Drum Corps is SOO worth the effort. I would not have done last summer any differently. You make so many memories that will last a lifetime.

My advice for you is to do it.

To clear this up, it really depends on which corp you join.

Let's take the Cavies for example. They practice for about 8 hours on every competition day and they practice for 14 hours every non-competition day. Then they tend to have 1 off day every 2 weeks. Usually they sleep on the bus so they can do their traveling at night. But they are a hard core drum corp.

Now let's the corp I'm currently on... The Madison Scouts!!! We practice about 8-10 hours when we don't have a competition that day and then we tend to have alot of free time. Usually on competition days we are really laid back and try to relax. When we arrived in San Antonio they gave us 3 hours to do whatever (we went down the river walk) then we had an hour of warm-up and about 3 hours of practice. We also get about 1-2 days every two weeks for just having some fun in what ever town we are in.

So basically it depends on what corp you join. My guess is that the Blue Devils and Cadets will have similar schedules to the Cavies. Oh and don't join Southwind cause they travel by planes and thats WAY more exspensive then bus. There are a few other corps who do that so be careful.

Hey! maverick

Why do you say that Southwind dont have buses. I been told they have buses and there even pictures of them in busses and etc. So what the heck are you trying to say when you say that southwind dont have buses. Research your info before you say it or type it.

:(:wacko::angry:

wow to cavies schedual!!!

btw... Spirit has an off day... IN MY TOWN...LMFAO HAHAHAHAHAHA

there is absolutley nothing at all to do in my town

omg if you knew how funny that is...ahhhhh good times accoming i can tell!

Each member of their corp had to pay just shy of $2000 for airfare costs. So they had to have used planes at some time or another if they had to pay for them. I'm pretty sure that they stop using their buses near the end of the season.

Airfare to camps? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

along the lines of the original topic... can anyone tell me how being in a Div. II or III corps compares to Div. I? I've been thinking about trying out for Revolution this year, yet I'm tempted to try out for a Div. I corps (Carolina Crown has auditions in my area, so I've heard) but don't know if I'll be able to make a full commitment to it (this being my senior year, I want to miss as few school days or high school band events as possible).

• 2 weeks later...
along the lines of the original topic... can anyone tell me how being in a Div. II or III corps compares to Div. I? I've been thinking about trying out for Revolution this year, yet I'm tempted to try out for a Div. I corps (Carolina Crown has auditions in my area, so I've heard) but don't know if I'll be able to make a full commitment to it (this being my senior year, I want to miss as few school days or high school band events as possible).

Im thinking of trying our for revoloution too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Maverick...

I marched Madison this past summer as well and don't remember anyone else from Austin besides two people who both have graduated from high school.

Also, I definitely don't remember being able to go down to the Riverwalk for 3 hours before our competition.

What's your name?